Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Jazz_

Arcane
Alien Isolation has amazing production values, they nailed that retro sci-fi look and feel of the original Alien to a T. Also, MRY, it's a very well optimized game, it runs on high settings even on a toaster.
The problem with Alien Isolation is that the gameplay becomes repetitive and a chore after the novelty wears off, it's like a 5 hours game stretched over 20 hours or something. Still it's a pretty amazing game as far as tension and atmosphere goes.

Deleted member 7219

Alien Isolation has amazing production values, they nailed that retro sci-fi look and feel of the original Alien to a T. Also, MRY, it's a very well optimized game, it runs on high settings even on a toaster.
The problem with Alien Isolation is that the gameplay becomes repetitive and a chore after the novelty wears off, it's like a 5 hours game stretched over 20 hours or something. Still it's a pretty amazing game as far as tension and atmosphere goes.

I loved how long Alien was. Had plenty of time to soak up that atmosphere and explore those environments. So many modern games are 5 hours or so and you don't get to spend as much time in the game world.

mastroego

Arcane
Alien: Isolation graphics are great and smooth. An average game with similar graphics will require a lot more resources than A:I.
Don't mind that screenshot, see it in game.

Complaints about the repetitive gameplay are at least legit, but it's probably the game's only real flaw.
Here are my final thoughts about the game anyway.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I finally picked up the pure puzzle game KAMI this sale. It had been on my wishlist for years. The puzzles increase in difficulty with each successive set of nine and especially near the end of each set, becoming quite challenging at the end of later sets. I'm impressed with it, although it's pretty standard fare; aside from its Japanese paper-folding gimmick, which would be inconvenient but not impossible to reproduce without a computer, it could easily have been a series from an adult's puzzle book or magazine decades ago.

Everything was going pretty smoothly until the 34th or 35th puzzle, but now I'm stumped. Best thing to do is put it down and come back later, at which point I expect to solve the one I'm stuck on in about a minute or two and move on.

It's $1.20 on sale. Anyone who likes puzzles should pick it up; there are 72 puzzles and it should last at least several hours of nonstop puzzling, even if you're very fast.
It's a mobile game, just for the record.

But yeah, it's an okay puzzle. My ex loved it, we've cracked most of the levels together, but I had to do the last super difficult chapter myself. It's honestly nothing special, just figuring the order the colors go in, but it can be addicting.

Them memories, huh.

Jazz_

Arcane
I've bought a bunch of games during those sales but the only one I'm digging so far other than ''Mirror's Edge'' is ''Kathy Rain'', it's got a very Gabriel Knight-esque feel.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

I agree 100%. It is really a fine example how a game should look, they have absolutely hit the nail with this one.

But the gameplay is still megaboring, even watching videos on youtube. It's like I already know I will spend all this time playing and reloading because I die etc, and at the very end if someone asks me what I did, all I can say is: I ran away from an alien the whole time, and it got me a couple hundred times, so I had to redo those sections.

Don't get me wrong if you love this type of games, and I can somehow imagine what you could get from them. But personally I simply hate horror games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
White Day, remake of somewhat cult horror game from South Korea, is coming to Steam on August 22:

ss_b58c448b7aa45eb64428d7177b849232249f54a7.600x338.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's honestly nothing special, just figuring the order the colors go in, but it can be addicting.

Them memories, huh.

You could describe ANY puzzle in the world in such a dismissively simplified manner as "just figuring the order the colors go in". You could for example describe cryptography as "just figuring out which letters and numbers they've swapped around".

As I said though, yeah, it's nothing particularly exceptional. Puzzles are puzzles are puzzles, be they from a puzzle book from the 1940s or in a flashy computer program.

I'm on the 45th puzzle, #9 in the 5th and final "regular" set. It's one of only two that have been able to stump me for very long, and the last one I solved in a minute after taking a break, just as I knew I would. The "premium" set of 27 more puzzles has me slightly worried.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I ended up not buying anything. There was no must have games, even if there were a few that were tempting. I guess it's easy to pass on sales when you have over 250 unfinished games waiting for you.

mastroego

Arcane
I agree 100%. It is really a fine example how a game should look, they have absolutely hit the nail with this one.

But the gameplay is still megaboring, even watching videos on youtube. It's like I already know I will spend all this time playing and reloading because I die etc, and at the very end if someone asks me what I did, all I can say is: I ran away from an alien the whole time, and it got me a couple hundred times, so I had to redo those sections.

Don't get me wrong if you love this type of games, and I can somehow imagine what you could get from them. But personally I simply hate horror games.
I can only say that I'd agree if I watched youtube sessions, but it's not how it feels when you play it.
I'm not even a sucker for the genre, quite the opposite, but the whole package works for me and it's an "immersive" experience as they say.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did Alien isolation get a good VR patch/mod already?

No. In fact, Alien: Isolation did not get a single post-release support patch - only pre-planned DLCs.

This is why it's hard to recommend the game for anything less than $5: It badly needed another 6 months in development, and is such a buggy mess that many players STILL haven't managed to get it running nearly 3+ years after its release.

But no, because sales figures were "disappointing" all post-release support beyond what was already planned was just dropped and both devs and publisher moved on to the next game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
steam.jpg

I have only 26 games in my entire steam library, most between 20 and 350 hours played, with ~half over 70.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom