Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Steam Greenlight Thread - SHUT DOWN

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forged of Blood, now on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877620687'

Hello Steam!
This is the big moment our team has been working towards for over year. Not only is our Kickstarter campaign now live, we are also putting our work here on Greenlight. Forged of Blood is an ambitious project, and we've made sure to prototype everything we set out to do in the first six months of production. Now... a year later, we are ready to showcase our work to the world.

If you like what you see, please help us and support us on Kickstarter and spread the word! Our Kickstarter page has a ton more information that we just can't fit here and our pitch video will help explain some of our design goals and philosophies. Please check it out and let us know what you think!

koDEWG6.png

Forged of Blood
As a Fantasy Turn-based Tactical RPG, Forged of Blood places the fate of an entire world on your every decision. From an impressive array of character building options to one of the most expansive true spellcrafting systems ever made for video games, Forged of Blood will begin an exciting new chapter in the Fantasy Tactical RPG genre. Engage in challenging tactical combat as you find your place in a morally grey fantasy world and decide whether the ends will ultimately justify your actions.
C73BT85.gif

YE4mnQ9.png

Key Features:
Tactical Fantasy: Take to the field with sword and shield or cast powerful spells in deep turn-based tactical combat against monsters and men.

Classless Warfare: With 9 unique weapons and a vast magic system, Forged of Blood lets you build your characters the way you want - without being constrained by the typical tank/DPS/healer roles.

Science in Magic: Explore the freedom and mysteries of one of the most complex and unique magic systems ever attempted in video games. With 60 Effects, 18 Effect Modifiers, and 18 Global Modifiers to choose from, the possibilities for spell crafting are vast.

roPtOPG.gif

Kingdom at War: Command up to three parties of heroic characters on the strategic layer in your fight to reclaim the empire you lost.

Meaningful Choice: Your choices matter. From character building to your choices in the game narrative, your decisions will reverberate across the Strategic and Tactical layers of the game.

Your ends; your means: In a world of grays and unique perspectives, it is up to you to decide what is “right” and “wrong” for the future of Attiras. Forged of Blood will introduce a new Tri-Axis Personality Plot (TAPP) system in lieu of the traditional Good vs. Evil scale common in most RPG settings.

Current Schedule:
Pre-production: February 2016 – July 2016
Production: July 2016 – October 2017
Crowdfunding Round: March 2017
Final-production: October 2017 – Mid 2018

Game related links:
Forged of Blood Website: http://forgedofblood.com/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fobthegame
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ForgedOfBlood

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Good.
People will see how free game made by fans is vastly superior compared to AA-tier videogame trash made by not-fans.
People are too lazy to just go and google it up and download via site, they need to use that fucking Steam.
Because PC gaming did not existed before Steam.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spy DNA has been greenlit.

Grid Cartographer still needs votes....seems it's harder to get non-game software in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Alvora Tactics, from the maker of Voidspire Tactics: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892353952

Release date: April 2017

Alvora616_126.png

Alvora Tactics is an indie Tactics RPG that combines strategic combat with immersive exploration. Explore and conquer Great Serpent Alvora with your own customizable band of warriors!
  • Deep, yet straightforward & easy to understand tactical combat
  • Explore a mix of procedural and handcrafted areas full of varied & challenging encounters
  • Destructible terrain and elemental interactions – set a jungle ablaze with fire magic, or summon water then electrify it!
  • Combine 10 races, 23 classes, 150+ upgrade-able abilities, and 50+ passives to create your ideal party
  • Unique fantasy setting; no elves, orcs, or dwarves
  • Built from the same engine (and by the same guy) as the highly-rated Voidspire Tactics
magi_read.gif
transp_388x2.png
sivleAnim.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
VOTE FOR GRIMOIRE: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893772412

The ultimate classic style turn-based fantasy roleplaying game!

After more than 20 years of development, the greatest roleplaying game of them all is fnally ready for release! Grimoire is an homage to the classic dungeon blobbers and is inspired by Wizardry, Might & Magic, Lands of Lore, Anvil of Dawn, DungeonMaster and the Eye of the Beholder games!

• 600 hours of play possible in a single game
  • Lush Colorful 2D Hand Drawn Artwork
  • Retro style MIDI music and 8 bit sound effects
  • 244+ Maps in the game to explore!
  • Turn-Based strategic combat
  • Multiple Beginnings, Multiple Endings
  • 144 context sensitive magic spells
  • 14 races, 15 professions, 50 skills
  • 64 intelligent NPCs with 8000+ Words in Vocabulary
  • Full Sentence Communication with NPCs
  • 240+ monsters each with special powers and defenses
  • 1000+ items, Carry Containers, Global Party Inventory
  • 30 conditions, from Confusion to Disease & Lycanthropy
  • Automapping, Autowalking, Autohealing
  • Global Map Atlas With Position Marker
  • Quest Journal, Hint Prompting, Help Facility, Mini-Quests
  • Complex LockPicking Interfaces for Doors & Chests
  • Challenging Puzzles and Rich Interactive Dungeons
  • Browsable Character Library for up to 100 characters
  • Up to 12 Commented Postage Stamped Savegames
  • Multi-themed GUI and customizable screen layouts

In other news, Grid Cartographer has been greenlit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Already voted for Grimoire...and it'l be the last title I'll vote for, by the looks of things.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
AKARUUK, Ultima-like oldschool RPG: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873716254

AKARUUK is an old-school CRPG currently in development.

AKARUUK offers a massive, open world with non-linear gameplay.

- Three separate story arcs with numerous side-quests.
- Follow clues to unravel the evil threatening the world, or explore freely at your leisure.
- Turn-based combat with tactical challenges. Use magic, stealth or brute strength to overcome your foes.
- Delve into treacherous dungeons and murky caves. Infiltrate strongholds to confront adversaries. Avoid traps, pick locks and escape with the treasure.
- Visit towns to trade and gossip. Make a career as a bard by performing in taverns, or as a thief by breaking into houses.
- Recruit allies. You may only have four in your party, so choose wisely who to bring along.
- Improve your characters. Allocate experience to attributes and skills. Learn new abilities and spells.
- Live off the land. Camp in the wild, collect reagents for spells, hunt, fish and forage for food.

Are you still not convinced this is the greatest game ever? How about these additional features:

- 560x320 resolution which scales cleanly to modern 16:9 monitors in windowed or fullscreen mode.
- Runs on Linux and Windows.
- No in-game "journal" or quest log. Rediscover the satisfaction of taking notes!
- In-game signs use a runic script.

Rumor that Greenlight is shutting down in June: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/co...till_steam_greenlight_gets_shut_down/dfnesi7/

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bevontule: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=908402879

Bevontule is a modern take on the role-playing genre, inspired heavily by Japanese, open-world and tactical RPGs. While we draw from and are happy to list our many 'golden age'-era influences, Bevontule maintains a strong identity, presenting an array of unique gameplay elements that expand upon and innovate beyond many of the systems we ourselves loved as children.

KEY FEATURES:

• Mature and highly-detailed plot spanning thousands of years, inspired by games like Xenogears and Shadow Hearts.
  • Unique and challenging tactical, turn-based combat system where proper positioning and timing are critical.
  • Beautiful 3D environments to discover, explore and conquer, including a massive, JRPG-style overworld.
  • Free-roaming enemies with a wide variety of movement patterns, behaviors and habitats; avoid or engage at your own discretion!
  • Unrelenting and highly-intelligent enemy AI that can be scaled to various difficulty levels.
  • A large cast of interesting characters with defined roles, yet deeply customizable skillsets, with multiple builds for each combatant.
  • Enemies learn and level up as you do, accessing new skills, tactics and other ‘enhancements.’
  • Unlock, learn and equip from hundreds of combat skills, attribute bonuses, and world-based buffs.
  • Scavenge, create and upgrade items with our original skill-based crafting system.
  • Integrated bestiary system that rewards discovery, experimentation and exploitation of enemies for rewards.
  • Loads of side-quests, optional bosses/areas, and minigames!

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Made me instantly think of Slasher's Keep, except that game hasn't seen a smidgeon of an update since early 2016.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ash of Gods: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919074990

Ash of Gods is a mix between a roguelike role-playing visual novel and an online turn-based strategy game. It has been heavily inspired by The Banner Saga series, Japanese visual novel games, and the spirit of The Darkest Dungeon.

The game is being developed with Unity and will be available on PC in 2017.

An emphasis on roguelike storytelling. The choices you make, the paths you take and the battles you fight inevitably affect the story and the world around you. Your team’s resources and time are limited, and on your journey you will face many choices. You decide who lives and who dies to ensure that you continue steadfastly along your path. If you rush forward mindlessly, you will gradually lose your characters, including the major ones. But even your party leader’s death will not lead to “game over”! Currently our story has 7 endings and only two of the endings are “good” and you’ll have to weather many storms to find them.

PVP and PVE multiplayer modes. Live through the story and top the global ratings with your characters in multiplayer mode. Unlock new characters and cards, upgrade them and build your own unique strategy and tactics. Create clans, form alliances and do battle with your friends at your side.

A new approach to tactical strategies. This is a unique combination of TBS, RPG and CCG in which your choice of cards and character classes determine your strategy and tactics on the battlefield.
  • The game is entirely devoid of any element of chance such as dice throwing. When you launch an attack or put one of your skills to use, you know exactly what the effect will be.
  • Many skills use up HP instead of the more traditional MP. For instance, an archer can kill his enemy with one shot, but he will lose a substantial portion of his health and become extremely vulnerable in the process.
  • HP and MP are equally important. Any of a character's resources can be damaged, and if you attack the MP, the character could lose one of his abilities. What's more, if a character doesn't have any MP left, any damage he suffers will cause him to lose double the usual amount of HP!
  • At the beginning of a fight you will receive five cards with different amounts of power, and their effect can turn the outcome of a battle. Each card has its own power that may only be used in a specific round of the battle.
  • А small team needn't mean a weak one. Opponents take turns to making moves, either performing some action with a character or using one of their cards. After all of a team's characters have made their moves, a new round begins for that team. This works to the advantage of small teams, as they will begin a new round sooner, which gives them the opportunity to use their strongest cards before their opponents can do so.

Smart AI that steadily improves as it learns how to defeat you. The AI automatically adapts to your style of playing. This is the one game for which you’ll never be able to invent “imba” tactics or find an “invincible” team build.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ICY: Frostbite Edition: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922866886

ICY: Frostbite Edition is the remastered edition of ICY, a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age. Create your own character, using a detailed stat system that influences your abilities, then begin your journey of survival across a frozen world, now with completely overhauled and improved gameplay.

A COMPLETELY REMASTERED EXPERIENCE

After nearly two years since the original release of ICY, Inner Void Interactive and Digital Tribe Games are proud to release ICY: Frostbite Edition, a completely remastered edition of the game. We worked to improve every lacking feature of the original ICY, recreating the game from scratch in Unity 5.
Thanks to the exhaustive feedback received from our community and the experience we gained from the original game, we have improved ICY’s formula in many different ways to let it offer a real survival RPG experience in a cold post-apocalyptic world.
  • A new combat system was developed: deeper, more exciting and more challenging than the original one.
  • The survival experience was overhauled in order to offer more variety.
  • A crafting system was introduced, allowing the player to create new items.
  • The original plot was improved and new quests and characters have been added to create a longer and more satisfying experience.
  • The UI was completely reworked to be clearer and better looking.
SURVIVE THE WHITE WASTELAND

ICY is a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age, where your life and the lives of your followers depend on every decision you make. Create your own character, using a detailed stat system that influences your abilities to hunt, travel, scavenge, communicate and lead, then begin a journey of survival across the White Wasteland.

It is up to you to take on the responsibilities of leadership and guide your newfound nomad family in their fight for survival. Do not take your role lightly, for each decision you make, each word you speak, ripples through the life of your community.

Take heed, for you and your group are not alone in this frozen world. In addition to the elements and the wildlife you encounter, there will be loners and bands of miscreants to deal with. Decide carefully on whom to trust and how to react or the snow covered landscape will become your icy tomb.

FEATURES
  • Experience an intense story of survival in a unique post-apocalyptic new ice age setting.
  • Influence the plot with your choices, with numerous shades of morality that lead to multiple endings.
  • Lead a group of survivors, each one with different needs, values and ideals.
  • Scavenge for items and hunt for food while facing the challenges of starvation, illness, harsh elements and other bands of survivors.
  • More than 400 pieces of detailed hand-drawn artwork that portray the bleak and dire landscape of the frozen world.
  • Customize your character by choosing how to distribute attribute points among 9 different skills that affect your abilities and experience through the entire game.
  • Enjoy the new combat system offering a mix between a classic turn based combat system and a trading card game.

Don Peste

Arcane
Remember Paradise Lost: First Contact? Its Kickstarter, funded on fucking 2013, was updated a few days ago.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190496143

Coming back to live

Dear backers, Enol here. It’s been a long time since we posted an update (1 year and 3 months to be exact). We continued to work (scarcely, I won’t lie) on the project during 2021 but avoided posting a new update or comment, and there is a simple reason for it: the anxiety that comes with accountability.

Facing everyone that supported us with little to no progress was an excruciating task that we wanted to avoid since we couldn’t post tangible progress.

As all of you must’ve known, the 3 devs in our studio now have full-time jobs outside game development. Some of us took bigger responsibility positions and large projects had to be taken care of, leaving little to no time for game dev (plus life getting in the way, as you could imagine).

To add fuel to the fire I got diagnosed with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) after a mental crisis a few months after the last update, and dealt with the fact that some of the problems faced during development were a direct response to my mismanagement of the project. All those backers pointing out “stop perfecting animations” or “don’t add more features” were a clear indicator that things weren’t working on a structural level.

At some point, you need to aknowledge that not everything is going to end up exactly as you want, and I struggled with the notion that the game needed to be perfect (in some instances I still do, since game reviews have to exceed certain cap to stand out and become profitable). I have to give props to my two other partners, who kept me afloat and tolerated all the constant tweaks and stubborn stances during the process.

I've worked on a lot of things since I was young: graphic design, illustration, animation… But oh men, I wasn’t ready to jump blindly into the videogame industry. People with this kind of personality trait need to take a step back and plan ahead before ending in the feared development hell. If you find yourself in a similar situation please, take my advice and start from the ground up… garner some experience before starting this journey.

Speaking frankly, I mention my condition because I am the team lead and I want to take responsibility for the current state of the game, not to use it as an excuse. I wrote on multiple occasions that I would never lie to our backers, about any issue. Every time something went south I was crystal clear about the hindrances that appeared along the way. In any case, I wish to reiterate our commitment to finish this project and release a great gaming experience. Is the least we owe you.

Keeping up with the community

Now I want to address the lack of communication. As I stated right at the beginning of the post, facing the comments section was (most of the time) anxiety-inducing. I am a non-confrontational person, and seeing people comparing PLFC with their finished projects, their life circumstances, or even saying that we robbed them blind was very harsh. Sometimes we didn’t even understand it… Just after posting a shit-ton of design concepts, videos, animations, and development issues, some backers said that it was all a scam. Why would we even go through those lengths if that was the case?

Other people went out of their way to harass us via PM or openly in the public KS comments (two people posted 3 months ago that if they see us in our city they are going to “break our legs” and even posted our current work address). I know that things didn’t go well and we accept all the criticism sent our way, but I want to state that this kind of “social media stoning” is extremely toxic. I understand the need to keep people accountable for their acts but tormenting someone's life is not right. You can’t imagine the kind of mental toll that it takes on a person.

Despite this, I realized that keeping quiet is not the way to proceed and we needed to post a new update to address all these issues.

We will have to keep you informed no matter what, even if we move on little milestones at a time. Hopefully, we’ll be able to post new content soon and not only these text bricks.

In the works

• Last 4 months were an uphill battle of responsibilities so we couldn’t move forward in the animation department. We wanted to finish the biggest stage of the game by December (the assembly chain) but things got in the way and its development got to a halt. This is a clear example of “something that could be cut”, but having around 75% completed it would be a shame to let it go to waste. Hoping to finish it by June and focus on other things!
  • Cutscene animations are still pending too, but I’m less worried about them since most will be copied from already made anim states (mostly dialogue poses). Big final boss and key moments are already made with the exception of the final cutscene. Missing ones require importing + setup and engine assembly.
  • I really wanted to move all cutscenes from their current state to a “press x to advance” kind of cinematic. I know, I know, we need to move forward, but the people who tested early builds had trouble focusing on the animations and texts at the same time (they could only skip the entire cinematic), and we felt that it was a shame that all that work was for nothing. The scenes would become more sequential by implementing this functionality: See animation > read text at your own pace > skip when finished > Repeat process.
  • The “reversed castle” part of the game is still in the works too. Implementing all the assets on each room prefab is a time-consuming labor so we would probably focus on the game functionality as a whole instead of going room by room changing or adding stuff.
  • We also have a unity upgrade awaiting to ease some tasks thanks to new official tools. Full console support has been added too on newer versions since we bought our Unity build.
A promise

We’ll do our best to prevent the communication void moving forward. It’s easier said than done, but we’ll have to face our responsibilities with the wonderful community that gave us the wheels to start this journey. It's taking way longer than any of us expected, but hopefully the end result will be worth the wait.

See you on the next one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom