Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Shadow Sun by Ossian Studios (iOS/Android)

mondblut

Arcane
Cassidy said:
After seeing this, I'll have to agree with mondblut: storyfags ruined CRPGs.

Storyfags ruined every genre really, from FPS to strategy.

Not surprising, since gameplay for them is just an annoying hindrance that pauses the fairytale they want to hear.

Archibald

Arcane
Is is possible to emulate ishit software on PC?

I think it might be actually good due to ishit having more limitations than PC or consoles.

Mortmal

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
I'm loling so much. But don't worry, guys, the game's for the iPad too! Zelda/Fable hybrid on a glorious 10.1 inch screen.

I'm actually not surprised. Developing "AAA" games for iDevices costs a lot less than developing the same for the PC or consoles. The true death of gaming isn't consoles, it's Apple.

The death of free speech as well, see how heavy is the censorship on apps
They refused an iPhone app from a Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist on the grounds that it "ridicules public figures" . Theres a few newspaper that ridicule public figures that wouldnt make their way to the iphone as well.
dalai lama censored ot he iphone in china:
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eat ... phone-apps
off course they delete any negative comment you can have on their forums:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/app ... ensorship/

They are the electronic fist of modern dicatorships.They make microsoft looks like the good guys.

Silellak

Cipher
Mortmal said:
Lesifoere said:
I'm loling so much. But don't worry, guys, the game's for the iPad too! Zelda/Fable hybrid on a glorious 10.1 inch screen.

I'm actually not surprised. Developing "AAA" games for iDevices costs a lot less than developing the same for the PC or consoles. The true death of gaming isn't consoles, it's Apple.
The death of free speech as well
I've never understood why people cry "FREE SPEECH" when a corporation (stupidly) censors things. While it is a cheap, disgusting practice that insults their customers, it has absolutely nothing to do with the right of "free speech".

And to pretend Apple is the only one doing it is pretty insane, too. Hell, this is from the very same article you posted:

Nasty? Yes. Evil? Possibly. Representative of Apple completely giving in to Chinese draconian measures? No. Because the company is simply following the rules that everyone--Google, Yahoo, and so on--are all following too. And it's not voluntarily doing so--if it were, it would also have alerted Chinese authorities to any one of a number of apps among the thousands that exist that let users circumvent censorship. Like those that link to YouTube content, which is otherwise banned. Or those that act as indirect gateways to social networking sites that are subject to censorship and lock-downs.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Silellak said:
Mortmal said:
Lesifoere said:

I've never understood why people cry "FREE SPEECH" when a corporation (stupidly) censors things. While it is a cheap, disgusting practice that insults their customers, it has absolutely nothing to do with the right of "free speech".

This. You don't have free speech on someone else's property you dumb motherfuckers.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Steve Jobs should be tied to a rocket and shot into the sun.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Silellak said:
Mortmal said:
Lesifoere said:

This. You don't have free speech on someone else's property you dumb motherfuckers.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Steve Jobs should be tied to a rocket and shot into the sun.

So no free speech on tv channels , on newspaper as wellt ? They are someone else propertyand more and more of a big corporation. You are just a maggot , you really deserves your slave's life.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Mortmal said:
So no free speech on tv channels , on newspaper as wellt ?

No. Their content should be the owners/shareholders whim. You are welcome to respond to censorship on those newspapers/tvs by not buying/reading/watching them. Who the fuck still reads newspapers anyway?

They are someone else propertyand more and more of a big corporation. You are just a maggot , you really deserves your slave's life.

Yes, I'm a slave because I don't think I should be allowed to go on someone else's tv/newspaper on their money and time and spout stupid bullshit without their permission. Because slavery = respecting someone else's freedom to do whatever they want with their assets.

:what:

Dumbass piece of shit.

zeitgeist

Magister
Mastermind said:
The problem with this concept in practice is that, in modern western capitalism, pretty much everything is someone else's property. And most of it is the property of megalithic lobby/interest groups or corporations who have a vested interest in, if not outright stifling, then at least dampening free speech.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
zeitgeist said:
The problem with this concept in practice is that, in modern western capitalism, pretty much everything is someone else's property.

That's not limited to modern western capitalism.

And most of it is the property of megalithic lobby/interest groups or corporations who have a vested interest in, if not outright stifling, then at least dampening free speech.

And they are welcome to do that. The general population is welcome to boycott them if they do though.That's how it works. If the general population doesn't want to/care, then they deserve to be duped as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, with the advent of the internet, the idea that we live in a society where making your voice heard becomes impossible is pretty absurd. All the pointless massive fucking protests we've been getting since the bush era and now into the obama era should put that worry to rest too. There's no lakc of avenues for self expression in america today.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Yes, I'm a slave because I don't think I should be allowed to go on someone else's tv/newspaper on their money and time and spout stupid bullshit without their permission. Because slavery = respecting someone else's freedom to do whatever they want with their assets.

louis-xiv.jpg

That guy approves.

majestik12

Arcane
IMO hope, if there is any, is kinda sorta there:

http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=1019
http://undercroft.rakeingrass.com/index.php
http://www.redshift.hu/
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/mobile/orcselves2/ (yeah, even the big boys get the point).

Mobile devices do not have enough hardware power to support the bells and whistles 90% of budget gets wasted on nowadays. And that allows the devs to focus on actually making a good game and maybe even afford being somewhat creative.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

majestik12

Arcane
I've checked out a free PC demo of Legacy and it was pretty enjoyable. If I had enough spare time to play the game I'd actually buy it.

BTW, here's another one:
http://war.ru/art/screenshots/

That's a russian MMO dungeon master clone done entirely in flash. The gameplay sucks, but the old school atmosphere is awesome. A proper dungeon crawler made with that engine is my current masturbational fantasy of choice.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Their site is not being updated and I hear nothing about them at all. I loved Mysteries of Westgate, so I would like to know what's going on with them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Our primary game inspirations for The Shadow Sun were Dragon Age Origins and The Witcher 2: Dragon Age for BioWare’s story-driven RPGs with intriguing characters and dialogues, and The Witcher 2 for its fast-paced action combat. It’s a good mix of fun from both the role-playing and gameplay angles. Unlike The Witcher, though, that uses the set character of Geralt, we allow players to create their own character (male or female, name, and other customizations).

Also it's an iOS game.:M

Gord

Arcane
It's a wonder they still exist considering that Atari did its best to fuck them over repeatedly with their premium modules.

Gord

Arcane
Well, from what I remember, Darkness over Daggerford was supposed to be a paid premium module, but Atari canceled the program, so they released it for free.
Nevertheless, they decided to do MoW, only to be sitting on a finished product more than a year, because Atari wouldn't allow them to release it until they had some DRM system in place.

I imagine that's not easy financially for a small independent studio.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's a wonder they still exist considering that Atari did its best to fuck them over repeatedly with their premium modules.
Agreed, but either they're so tiny that even their meager revenue is enough to still keep them going, or they found an angel investor to fund their new game. Latter is more likely.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Our primary game inspirations for The Shadow Sun were Dragon Age Origins and The Witcher 2: Dragon Age for BioWare’s story-driven RPGs with intriguing characters and dialogues, and The Witcher 2 for its fast-paced action combat. It’s a good mix of fun from both the role-playing and gameplay angles. Unlike The Witcher, though, that uses the set character of Geralt, we allow players to create their own character (male or female, name, and other customizations).

Also it's an iOS game.:M
This sounds super-shitty, besides allowing the player to create a custom character. iOS puts it out of my reach anyway. Hopefully it will serve them as Bard's Tale serve InXile - a cash cow to fund proper games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom