Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Shadow Sun by Ossian Studios (iOS/Android)

Silellak

Cipher
Ossian Studios, the group behind Mysteries of Westgate has announced a new RPG with an original IP...

...for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

:M
After working with Dungeons & Dragons and The Witcher over the past few years, Ossian Studios has turned its RPG talents to creating a new fantasy game and world of its own design. We are pleased to announce The Shadow Sun™: a dark heroic fantasy that brings together the high adventure of classic D&D, combat inspired by Fable, Zelda, and The Witcher, and the fear of otherworldly horrors of H.P. Lovecraft.

The Shadow Sun brings a full 3D, true Western-style RPG to the iPhone and iPod touch. Combining the excitement of dynamic, visceral combat with a gripping story, it will redefine role-playing on the platform. Stunning, finely detailed graphics and a captivating musical score couple to create an immersive experience to rival the best PC and console RPG titles.

Make your role-playing choices wisely through dialogue or action, and become either a hero or a villain.
http://www.ossianstudios.com/

Deleted member 7219

I think this is the ultimate troll for their fans. Good work, Ossian!

DriacKin

Arbiter
After working with Dungeons & Dragons and
The Witcher over the past few years , Ossian
Studios has turned its RPG talents to [...]

Ossian has worked on The Witcher? When was this?

Mortmal

Arcane
:mob:
Zero interest in the iphone. If at least it wason the DS, i use my phone to phone not to play rpgs.

Silellak

Cipher
DriacKin said:
After working with Dungeons & Dragons and
The Witcher over the past few years , Ossian
Studios has turned its RPG talents to [...]

Ossian has worked on The Witcher? When was this?
Yeah I have no idea what they're talking about either.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Since I do have an iphone and spend around 2 hours in a bus commuting 5 days a week, I may pick this up. Anything to keep myself amused in rush hour traffic. :incline:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You know...I'm not surprised.

The whole accessibility mentality that Jobs spew have overflown over to the game design mentality.
Its a given merge.

In 10 years Peter Molynux(RIP original Peter) or Steve Jobs will state.
"When you manage to make a game as not a game then you know you have succeeded! FREEDOM FROM COMPLEXITY! "
And the "casual gamers" turned zealots and paid off industry analysts will hail them as visionaries.

The publishers will still be smitten over the large amount of people playing farmville and demands more "marketable" games.
Gameplay is now less important so they try to swoon the audience with "CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES" story performed by two bit actors, which cost a pretty penny because they have to have actors for every NPC displayed in a generic 3D scene moving his lips up and down.(worst thing is that this is a defacto standard now, so no publishers dares to publish a game without tons of unnecessary mood killers.)
So...less gameplay as possible and voiceactors, and all the industry analysts will hail the moral choices in the story while the CEO of the developers rants about the important of IP.

The gamers probably will just buy it, either because they preordered it because it was a "SPIRITURAL SEQUEL TO SYSTEM SHOCK", bought it because there was nothing else to buy out of what he really wanted so he was just content with what it was and complaining about a lost standards were just silly rosy nostalgia fallacies.

fear for the future, FEAR FOR THE FUTURE!

Well, I'm thinking that if all the huge ass AAA publishers left the PC platform, then that would give much more room to smaller publishers and developers with a niche market viewpoint.

At the moment I'm putting my faith into the former Warsaw countries.

(must stop ranting incoherently)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I have no fucking clue who they are but I still had a "oooooh- oooohhh...." moment.

ElectricOtter

What attracts you the most about The Shadow Sun?

The fact that your choices affect the story. 42.9%
The dark heroic fantasy setting. 33.3%
The versatile character creation system. 9.5%
The fast and dynamic combat system. 7.9%
The cast of companions who can join the party. 6.3%

oh you've gotta be fucking kidding me

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
ElectricOtter said:

At least "versatile character creation system" is third, but somehow, seeing this is an iProduct, it still reads to me as "Streamlined character creation system".

But yeah, an addendum to my rant, the reason why shit games sells is because people are morons with no standards and can't be bothered to read real literature or even a DIYS campaign book.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ElectricOtter said:

Why? C&C is right up there with grimdark coming in strong at number 2. :smug:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mastermind said:
ElectricOtter said:

Why? C&C is right up there with grimdark coming in strong at number 2. :smug:

Exactly, shouldnt that be good? C&C coming in first? Then setting. The rest is mechanical gimmicks.

CrimHead

Scholar
Silellak said:
Ossian Studios, the group behind Mysteries of Westgate has announced a new RPG with an original IP...

Fuck yeah. :incline:

Silellak said:
for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

explodinghead.gif

Silellak said:
combat inspired by Fable, Zelda, and The Witcher

:rage:

Conclusion:

:rpgcodex:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm loling so much. But don't worry, guys, the game's for the iPad too! Zelda/Fable hybrid on a glorious 10.1 inch screen.

I'm actually not surprised. Developing "AAA" games for iDevices costs a lot less than developing the same for the PC or consoles. The true death of gaming isn't consoles, it's Apple.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
fucking APPLE.

imagine what glorious world it world be if people would have just let them die and microsoft reign supreme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom