Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Kem0sabe

Arcane
i reinstalled it because you people talking about it again. the magic is lost. the combat is still horrible and doesn't look that faster to me, actually it felt exactly the same and the new extremely long countdown on even the most basic mission is a retarded way to push for the premium subscription.
i also didn't notice all the so called rework of skills, my pistol-chaos build is still the same, works the same, can't really be improved and there are still skills scattered around the wheel that work exactly the same.

i felt a faster xp gain, that's true, but that could be due to the weekend bonus.

I noticed some significant changes for the leveling experience, finishing up transylvania at the moment, there much fewer mobs in the game, aggro ranges are shorter, traversal is faster and easier, mobs die much faster, all missions (except some scattered side missions) are all marked on the map. There's a lot of quality of life improvements.

combat is still shit, but now practically any build is viable.

Cromwell

Arcane
I am eagerly wating for the main storyline to pick up again. I was a little bit underhwelmed how long it tok to finish that part after transylvania. I had hoped, instead of the issues they are producing now, they would do a bigger version some kind of addon with much more story to go through.

i reinstalled it because you people talking about it again. the magic is lost. the combat is still horrible and doesn't look that faster to me, actually it felt exactly the same and the new extremely long countdown on even the most basic mission is a retarded way to push for the premium subscription.
i also didn't notice all the so called rework of skills, my pistol-chaos build is still the same, works the same, can't really be improved and there are still skills scattered around the wheel that work exactly the same.

i felt a faster xp gain, that's true, but that could be due to the weekend bonus.

I noticed some significant changes for the leveling experience, finishing up transylvania at the moment, there much fewer mobs in the game, aggro ranges are shorter, traversal is faster and easier, mobs die much faster, all missions (except some scattered side missions) are all marked on the map. There's a lot of quality of life improvements.

combat is still shit, but now practically any build is viable.
i did my test run in the desert and everything felt the same :/

i explored more of the desert and found out something different. mobs die faster to single target attacks, that's true, aoe still feels the same. legionaries now are normal mobs. why? why the hell? i was grinding ql 10 stuff there =_=

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
But I think it broke my brain. Badly. So I really do need to review material to stay on top of the core plot(s). And TSW seems to fight me at every turn. ::: sadface :::
This is a problem of all games with independent main quest - you usually run all the available side quests and then then main quest feels confusing and underwhelming.

I totally didn't follow plot in Solomon Island and Egypt - I knew I had to kill some foozle and that's all. Somewhere around Transylvania I got back to the beginning, talked with all the NPCs again and went through all the lore - I had to crack that stuff because shit was getting real (The Breach etc.). Somehow connecting all those dots and getting to the bottom of it was one of my best gaming moments.

I am eagerly wating for the main storyline to pick up again. I was a little bit underhwelmed how long it tok to finish that part after transylvania. I had hoped, instead of the issues they are producing now, they would do a bigger version some kind of addon with much more story to go through.
When Kaidan was released, it contained only a bit more content than your usual Issue and it took several more to elevate it to the level of other playfields. If they ever finish "Congo", it will be released probably in the same way.

i explored more of the desert and found out something different. mobs die faster to single target attacks, that's true, aoe still feels the same. legionaries now are normal mobs. why? why the hell? i was grinding ql 10 stuff there =_=
Game was much more unforgiving back in the day - I guess the whining and the need for more players finally caught up to them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I *still* wish they would just make a single player RPG game done in this setting. *sad puppy dog eyes*
Exactly... Then again, considering how 'well' their single player game set in this same universe, the park, was received, I'm not excited about they trying their hand at their first single player rpg and messing it up.

Yeah, of all the things they could do with this setting, they chose THAT? Come the fuck on.

And THEN they see that as Oh well, no one likes this setting as a single player game. FUCKING MORANS! *bangs head against wall*

Stokowski

Arcane
The Park? Jesus wept. If I wanted a walking simulator around a creepy, hostile environment with great lore, I'd reinstall Morrowind.

Cromwell

Arcane
When Kaidan was released, it contained only a bit more content than your usual Issue and it took several more to elevate it to the level of other playfields. If they ever finish "Congo", it will be released probably in the same way.

Thats what I meant, I would be happier if they mix these small issues with bigger ones. I thnk I stopped my first time playing somewhere around egypt, came back and had a lot to do, meanwhile season one got finished and I could play it all in one go. Waiting months for story snippets I play through in one or two hours is horrible.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
And THEN they see that as Oh well, no one likes this setting as a single player game. FUCKING MORANS! *bangs head against wall*
I am relatively certain that nobody at Funcom ever said this.
In fact, The Park was an experiment to learn Unreal 4 in under 6 months and hopefully pay for itself. I cannot comment on the "pay for itself" part due to public company shenanigans, but as an experiment it did exactly what it was supposed to.
Nobody at Funcom expected The Park to do extremely well - we even wrote that in our financial statements before it launched.

That said, I was hoping it might so I could convince management to let us make a single player RPG in the TSW universe. *shrugs* I still want to do that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In fact, The Park was an experiment to learn Unreal 4 in under 6 months and hopefully pay for itself. I cannot comment on the "pay for itself" part due to public company shenanigans, but as an experiment it did exactly what it was supposed to.
Nobody at Funcom expected The Park to do extremely well - we even wrote that in our financial statements before it launched.

That said, I was hoping it might so I could convince management to let us make a single player RPG in the TSW universe. *shrugs* I still want to do that.

I would literally throw money at a TSW single player rpg...

Make-it-Rain.gif

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was hoping I could convince management to let us make a single player RPG in the TSW universe. *shrugs* I still want to do that.
Yep. Full price preorder for the deluxe edition. I don't even care what the extras are. I just want to pay lots of money to make it happen. Will throw in a full pint of the precious bodily fluid of bylam's choice if the announcement is made this year.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm guessing some spring/summer deals are coming (8th AoC anniversary, Conan Exiles release on early access) - can't wait to throw even more money at FC.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Really wish they would remove the aegis system, it's such a pain in the ass, and adds a bunch of stuff that the game was perfectly fine without in the previous content.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really wish they would remove the aegis system, it's such a pain in the ass, and adds a bunch of stuff that the game was perfectly fine without in the previous content.
Isn't the aegis system completely optional, put in for those who've 1,000-houred the game and have nothing left to do? Am I crazy? I haven't played in a while so I guess I should shut up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Isn't the aegis system completely optional, put in for those who've 1,000-houred the game and have nothing left to do? Am I crazy? I haven't played in a while so I guess I should shut up.
Aegis system is related specifically to Tokyo.

Mobs there have an invincibility shield on them, that needs to be remove by a specific type of damage before you can kill the mob.

So you have these items you equip to buff your weapons with certain damage types. Which you have to level, upgrade etc.

Each ti e you fight a mob it could be invulnerable to your current setup and you need to figure out how to deal with it. It goes completely against the flow established in the previous 80% of the content.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Make-it-Rain.gif
Shit, it doesn't even have to be an RPG.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I just want investigations.

Lots and lots of investigations.

Like if this patriotic man:

Make-it-Rain.gif

were throwing investigations instead of cash.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I just want investigations.

Lots and lots of investigations.

Like if this patriotic man:

Make-it-Rain.gif

were throwing investigations instead of cash.
Yeah, the investigation missions are awesome (for the most part), and truly unique in the rpg genre.

As focused as funcom ia at telling stories, it's a wonder how they never made a single player rpg.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
As focused as funcom ia at telling stories, it's a wonder how they never made a single player rpg.
If you believe the internal discussions, it is because Dreamfall was pirated to the end of the universe and back and management got scared of single player games. I have been pitching single player games at Funcom since I started working here and my original interest in Age of Conan was because once upon a time Gaute said that Tortage was going to be a single player game, and then you take your characters online into the MMO.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you believe the internal discussions, it is because Dreamfall was pirated to the end of the universe and back and management got scared of single player games..
Tell your management that they are stupid, and bring their attention to the fact that the biggest sellers of the industry are single player games (with occaisonal multiplayer elements). Skyrim, GTA , The Witcher 3. The days when MMOs were the biggest sellers are over.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You don't even need to make a huge AAA rpg, something like shadowrun, episodic in nature, would fit right in with the kind of story funcom has been developing so far with TSW.

Low risk, high reward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom