Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

Well i dont remember it that hard :troll:

Most of the stuff he complains about is him not paying attention, having 1001 preconceptions and expecting all games to have the same mechanics.

Yeah, animations are floaty, but all the rest of arguments about combat being shit is retarded. He's angry that zombies are faster than him, that pulling 2 mobs equals being owned, that melee mobs rush to engage in melee (no, there totally aren't any hindering/rooting skills), that health regenerates only outside of combat (wtf?) How any of this is objectively bad?

UI is confusing (he didn't know how to put a skill back on the bar nigga wat) and he had to google how to get out of combat. Is he retarded?

omg gaem 2 hard

PS He didn't seem also to pay attention to story events, but w/e.

Last edited:

Veelq

Augur
I guess thats what today's WoW does to you, heh. Imagine him in a true oldschool sanbox mmo with open world pvp - it would be painful to watch but maybe a bit funny too.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I guess thats what today's WoW does to you, heh. Imagine him in a true oldschool sanbox mmo with open world pvp - it would be painful to watch but maybe a bit funny too.
TSW is as much streamlined as any other new MMO. I woudn't touch stuff like UO now - I can't even fathom going back to AoC with it's ~30 active skills.

Just remembered - dude was complaining there's no way to tell if mobs aren't too powerful. Actually there's an icon (with a tooltip) on their health bar.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My "First Impression" of him, without even watching the video, is that he is dumb. But hey, he's allowed to have first impressions that are woefully misinformed, that's why they're called impressions and not facts.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My "First Impression" of him, without even watching the video, is that he is dumb. But hey, he's allowed to have first impressions that are woefully misinformed, that's why they're called impressions and not facts.
My first impression was that he is dumb, too. And that's a fact, baby.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Nykos-2015-10-03-14-44-59_zpsr2twaxxw.png

Also The Unutterable Lurker got massively OP in NM version:

k2vpR2Z.png

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I can't even fathom going back to AoC with it's ~30 active skills.
AoC wasn't that bad, and I was a Bear Shaman. Pretty sure I remember I could fit all my skills on my G13. That includes using 5 keys for the combat direction keys. And 1 more key for a Charge. That left me with 8 keys + 8 shift modified keys available for active skills. Bottom probably 4 keys for situational skills and/or potions, but not modified for those since I would use them also for interface (map, character, inventory, quests).

Currently playing the more traditional SWTOR and which really uses max ~10 for perfect hardcore raiding.

Vanilla WoW wasn't bad at all, either. You may have a bunch of skills available but you use less than one quickbar 80% of the time. Healers IIRC had also minimal skills to press for healing. Usually divided simply between instants, casts, channels, and HoTs. 1 or 2 for each. Healing was more-so about balancing healing vs. mana in terms of taking pauses between heals, which heal to use, rotating heals between other party/raid members, etc. Tanking was similar. Skill use was chiefly about resource management using your main skills, the rest were long cool-down situational skills.

IMO Secret World is not streamlined in terms of number of skills, but streamlined in terms of knowing what skill to use at a given moment.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
AoC wasn't that bad, and I was a Bear Shaman. Pretty sure I remember I could fit all my skills on my G13. That includes using 5 keys for the combat direction keys. And 1 more key for a Charge. That left me with 8 keys + 8 shift modified keys available for active skills. Bottom probably 4 keys for situational skills and/or potions, but not modified for those since I would use them also for interface (map, character, inventory, quests).

Currently playing the more traditional SWTOR and which really uses max ~10 for perfect hardcore raiding.

Vanilla WoW wasn't bad at all, either. You may have a bunch of skills available but you use less than one quickbar 80% of the time. Healers IIRC had also minimal skills to press for healing. Usually divided simply between instants, casts, channels, and HoTs. 1 or 2 for each. Healing was more-so about balancing healing vs. mana in terms of taking pauses between heals, which heal to use, rotating heals between other party/raid members, etc. Tanking was similar. Skill use was chiefly about resource management using your main skills, the rest were long cool-down situational skills.

IMO Secret World is not streamlined in terms of number of skills, but streamlined in terms of knowing what skill to use at a given moment.
I think I wanted to say I kinda feel for the guy - once you go dumb, you never go back or so they say.

AoC is more complex than TSW in every possible way:

- number of skills (for BS: 2 heals, 3 manifestations, ~4 combos, ~4 directional buttons for combos, 3 potions, then all the situational stuff like big heals, runes and AA skills)
- number of people in raid (24 instead of 10, this resulted in dividing people into several function groups often with separate tanks and healers, some bosses required one whole group of tanks)
- stuff people had to do to kill a boss (countering different casts by different classes, everyone avoiding fatal damage by watching buffs/debuffs and using countermeasures)

In TSW I'm using 3-5 skills for standard rotation - in AoC I had 12 skills just for basic rotation (Blood Flow, Renewal, 2 manis on rotation, IB+CA+SB+UB, 4 directional buttons).

TSW only just now started getting bosses that are AoC complexity level (as in everyone has to do some shit except pewpewing).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The combat and rotations in TSW are extremely simple, akin to the action combat of ESO or GW2. That would be fine if the combat was more responsive, but the end result is not fun to play in the least.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
The content is great, the combat is not.
Sure it's not great (-> remarkable) by most standards, it is "fun" for me though - it requires just enough effort to keep me engaged, while still being able to fully enjoy the "sights".

In AoC the combat was more complex (and visceral and rewarding), but I had to watch timers and shit, react to more varied situations and keep a tight rotation - I rarely had a chance to watch the actual fight, it was more a micromanagement game.

In TSW the pinnacle of healing is to keep heals on 2 tanks that get damage in predictable pattern, while being able to dispense a full party heal every 25-30s. In AoC the "big heal" healed about 20% of tanks hp bar and aggro swapping was a art.

But this means I can just press buttons and spend much more time enjoying dramatic boss animations and shit.

Tick Tock Crocodile

I grabbed the Ultimate Edition while it was on sale. Still debating on which server to join, since TSW seems like the kind of game where there's an argument for joining one with a low population. Does it matter all that much?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I grabbed the Ultimate Edition while it was on sale. Still debating as to which server to join, since TSW seems like the kind of game where there's an argument for joining one with a low population. Does it matter all that much?
It only matters for the persistent PvP zone called Fusang. For all other content you can group with people from different servers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I grabbed the Ultimate Edition while it was on sale. Still debating on which server to join, since TSW seems like the kind of game where there's an argument for joining one with a low population. Does it matter all that much?
I think not. The game is not so mainstream that you will encounter players all the time. It has a solid fanbase, but most of the players are standing around in the hubs. Out in the field, you will only encounter a few of them.

Tick Tock Crocodile

It only matters for the persistent PvP zone called Fusang. For all other content you can group with people from different servers.

I think not. The game is not so mainstream that you will encounter players all the time. It has a solid fanbase, but most of the players are standing around in the hubs. Out in the field, you will only encounter a few of them.

Fair enough, sounds good. I'll stop fussing and just start playing then!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
+ Tick Tock Crocodile

I prefer it like that - random players with names starting with lower case just ruin my mood. At any time I can find some activity on one of the channels and then zone to that zone/server by r-clicking caller name and choosing "meet up".

There are a few community-made channels like #noobmares (dungeons for noobs), #event (current event, world bosses and such) or #sanctuary (general help).

Tick Tock Crocodile

I prefer it like that - random players with names starting with lower case just ruin my mood. At any time I can find some activity on one of the channels and then zone to that zone/server by r-clicking caller name and choosing "meet up".

There are a few community-made channels like #noobmares (dungeons for noobs), #event (current event, world bosses and such) or #sanctuary (general help).

Thanks for the help. I also think that lots of randomers running around with silly names doesn't really fit, especially not in this kind of game. Nice to know I can mind my own business but still find others across zones if I'd like.

last christmas, when it was on sale, i saw a lot of people playing with me, and an unbearable amount of people in hubs. wait a month or two, maybe it'll be on sale again and population will spike too.

Nael

Arcane
Most of the stuff he complains about is him not paying attention, having 1001 preconceptions and expecting all games to have the same mechanics.

Yeah, animations are floaty, but all the rest of arguments about combat being shit is retarded. He's angry that zombies are faster than him, that pulling 2 mobs equals being owned, that melee mobs rush to engage in melee (no, there totally aren't any hindering/rooting skills), that health regenerates only outside of combat (wtf?) How any of this is objectively bad?

What a bunch of horseshit. Almost every weapon class except shotgun, elementalism, hammers, and chaos have healing abilities. You are allowed to roll with 2 weapon classes and with synergies even the weapons that don't have a built in healing ability can aid a weapon class with the healing abilities greatly. So literally dude... Get gud. Not hard. At all.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
TSW is a World of Warcraft Expansion. Just like Guild Wars 2 it has no mana or stamina or *anything* at all to manage. Just press TAB 1,2,3 ad nauseam. Incredibly boring game for dull drones.

It's fucking embarrassing. I pity the people who still have to work for Funcom. I offer exit counseling. Call +49 0160 486-374-392 and we'll be looking into ways to get you out of of Funcom and the MMORPG industry entirely. It's never too late.

Especially if you are fluid in C/C++, have a minimum of 3 years of experience, an MSC or better in a STEM field and hate the fucking shit the games industry puts out with a passion.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
TSW is a World of Warcraft Expansion. Just like Guild Wars 2 it has no mana or stamina or *anything* at all to manage. Just press TAB 1,2,3 ad nauseam. Incredibly boring game for dull drones.

It's fucking embarrassing. I pity the people who still have to work for Funcom. I offer exit counseling. Call +49 0160 486-374-392 and we'll be looking into ways to get you out of of Funcom and the MMORPG industry entirely. It's never too late.

Especially if you are fluid in C/C++, have a minimum of 3 years of experience, an MSC or better in a STEM field and hate the fucking shit the games industry puts out with a passion.
14convoluted88me

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Thank you for offering this insight, which just came out of the blue. Now crawl back to your house.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom