Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Apparently the 'Cash Shop' (for now) is nothing more than a way to customize the look of your character via clothing, etc. Nothing in the way of Stat boosting gear. I think they said they may put XP enhancing items in there at some point too.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So they put majority of cool looking clothing in the cash shop, leaving me and other paying customers to all look the same or spend more money.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Dumb move, that's just too greedy and bad PR. WoW has the same system, but they don't say it out loud like this, they released the game then slowly started to sell some mounts & pets, to a point most players don't even see this as something bad.

The way this is announceds looks like it will be 10 times worse and the best content wont be available for those that don't pay extra, and that's just us speculating on a bad press release.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will hold judgment until the game comes out. I'm too excited for it to be bothered by these kind of things.

Dumb move, that's just too greedy and bad PR. WoW has the same system, but they don't say it out loud like this, they released the game then slowly started to sell some mounts & pets, to a point most players don't even see this as something bad.

The way this is announceds looks like it will be 10 times worse and the best content wont be available for those that don't pay extra, and that's just us speculating on a bad press release.

Yeah but unlike WoW, Funcom will need to monetize things much quicker due to the fact they won't have 10 million subs to milk for months on end. If it keeps them afloat and allows them to release other (free) content, why care? I'll only become bothered by it once it reaches 'buy to win' territory.

asxetos

Augur
having to pay subscription AND cash shop to have access to all the content?
i am not ok with this.

yes, custom character look in an mmo is content too

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Completely misses the point of a cash shop, anyway. The point of a cash shop in a F2P is that it lets you buy the parts of the game that you want. Now, a strictly competitive PVP game has mostly a consensual agreement to what "winning" means, a but a player playing a regular PVE game (with pvp on the side) has a various possible goals in the game.

asxetos

Augur
new cbt starts in a few hours and lasts until the end of april!
no new areas added in this phase.

Current content:
In addition to the faction hubs of London and New York, Tokyo Flashback and Agartha, there are five entire adventure zones and four complete dungeons. Play missions and story mission through Kingsmouth, The Savage Coast and Blue Mountain in New England, and The Scorched Desert and City of the Sun God in Egypt. The four dungeons are The Polaris, Hell Raised, Hell Fallen and The Ankh.

Goals:
The main goals of this phase of the Beta:

- To introduce character creation to the Beta.
- Introduce fixes to bugs and issues reported in the previous Beta phases.
- In addition to this we want to give you, the players, enough playtime to prepare for the next Beta phase. This next upcoming phase will introduce the region of Transylvania.

Transylvania? Fuck yea :)

Also, the "Item Store" button appeared in the game launcher...

KevinV12000

Arcane
I have battered spouse syndrome when it comes to MMOs. I get my hopes up that this time it will be different, this time he'll treat me with respect, and he'll never disappoint me again. Then he says he's coming back to me and I get all excited and can't wait to see him. For the first few weeks, I'm in heaven and planning my next time with him. Then, slowly at first, the old things start to get on my nerves. He hangs out with a lot of idiots, and I have enough idiots to deal with during the rest of my day. Then, under the sleek new presentation, I realize that he's the same, the same as he's always been. and I leave him.

I fucking can't wait to play Secret World!

asxetos

Augur
So i played through the 2 Egypt regions and i am very impressed.
This is a very unique mmorpg. It is like they allowed their artists to create the maps exactly as they see fit without any interferences.
This means that you get an amazing world design and great maps that will make you eager to keep playing to reach and check out all the "Points of Interest" that you see from a distance.
On the other hand though, it feels to me that some of the areas were not designed with the "mmo" part so much in the designer's mind.
For example, in the 2nd Egypt area, you will be guided from quest giver to quest giver in a circular way around the map, and there is no "area hub" where the players will hang out between missions.
Also there is a great canyon that if you fall in, you have to run through the half fucking map to get back to your previous location.

next stop: transylvania and pvp :)

The main goals of this phase of the Beta:

- To introduce the Dragon Faction to the Beta.
- To introduce two of the adventure zones in the Transylvania region.
- To introduce the dungeon The Darkness War.
- To introduce two pvp battlefields.
- To introduce parts of the lore, achivement and crafting systems.
- To introduce the abilities for Fist Weapons, Shotgun and Chaos .
- Introduce fixes to bugs and issues reported in the previous Beta phases.

Also i still did not manage to play any 5man dungeon.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Cool, I'm waiting for the leaks which for some reason seem pretty rare. Does the game use some insane method of NDA protection like GW2 that watermarks your e-mail all over screenshots?

asxetos

Augur
No clue if they have any protection method.
Its just that i usually lurk in the codex when i am at work and i dont have the game handy to show any screenshots.
But there are quite a few on the internet and even gameplay videos on youtube that you can check out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also:

Offer open to GameSpot members 18 and older in the US, UK, and Australia only.

1308014511002.gif

Renegen

Arcane
You're br right? I'm Canadian and I got the key. We'll see if we get kicked later.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You're br right? I'm Canadian and I got the key. We'll see if we get kicked later.
Yup. I got the key too, I think is only legal bullshit from Gamespot or somethin, they will accept people from everywhere.

That said, I'm actually curious how the NDA agreement works worldwide...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Hopefully there won't be a check in the login like there was for Mabinogi (I think...). Shit pissed me off, being able to register and download only to be denied at the login screen.

Anyways, to see if it holds a candle to GW2.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Got a weekend key as well. Registered username is anuspounder. Don't have a character yet so no char names. :)

Downloading this to check out the PvE. The part that interests the most out of any MMO.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, got a key, thanks Renegen! :bro:

And wow....I'm a Gamespot member since Sep 14, 2003. o_O
I've also been a Gamespot member for a long time, but I never visit the site. Good thing I remembered the username and the password.

Now I also have a key!!!! I'm all over this game, downloading it right now. But I will destroy somebody or something if it won't let me login, just because I'm from Europe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom