Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Xenich

Cipher
I remmber, for example, a puzzle in the illuminati crypts under the first town which was impossible for me because I have zero knowledge about music.

....of course you need to be able to read notes.

Exactly this quest and as far as I remember this was one of the easier puzzles the game throws at you in Investigation missions.

My "favorite" investigation missions are the ones that require you to translate a language like Japanese, Greek, Moldovan, or Egyptian Hieroglyphs AND solve a riddle contained within the translated message. I've never used so many spoilers in a game as TSW and I enjoy a challenge as much as anyone but taking a whole day to fucking learn Kanji or any assortment of dead or half-dead languages to solve a riddle is insane.

I think the one that I liked the most was the Blue Mountain compound quest line where you were doing number series to find a secret message. What was awesome about it was that people couldn't cheat it online as there was no static resolution to it. You actually had to understand mathematical series to solve it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I think the one that I liked the most was the Blue Mountain compound quest line where you were doing number series to find a secret message. What was awesome about it was that people couldn't cheat it online as there was no static resolution to it. You actually had to understand mathematical series to solve it.
Except that you could hack it and for some time the quest was broken. Fuck you, Fibonacci.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha. That was the first one I didn't even try to look up. A lot of them I will solve 90% and then look up the rest, but I couldn't get off the ground on that bitch. I was like, clearly this mission is not for me, and just walked away.

Norfleet

So what's the Auction House like? This game has an auction house, right?

Norfleet

Lots of Signets for hundreds of millions of Pax.
Anything else? Those are the only items of significant value? Where does Pax come from? What are the rules on Auction House? Limits on how much you can post? Charges?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Signets, seasonal items, weapon skins and mats.

Pax is cash - comes from quests and mobs.

You can post whatever you want, but you have to deposit 10% of item value though IIRC.

Nothing has changes since the last time we went through this.

Xenich

Cipher
Haha. That was the first one I didn't even try to look up. A lot of them I will solve 90% and then look up the rest, but I couldn't get off the ground on that bitch. I was like, clearly this mission is not for me, and just walked away.

Yeah, it was a rough one if you don't have any knowledge of that discipline. I especially liked the binary series ones. Anyway, I really was impressed with the game because of their willingness to implement difficult puzzles. I just wish they would have spent more time on the combat system. Their caving into the WoW crowd to make it yet another holy trinity focus game really destroyed it for me. All of that intelligence put into the puzzle system and attempting to create a vast skill set only to end up with a Tank/Heal/DPS result. Such a shame.

Norfleet

You can post whatever you want, but you have to deposit 10% of item value though IIRC.
Is this deposit eaten, or do you get it back if the item sells/doesn't sell? By "item value", do you mean the price you're posting it for, or some internal arbitrary value?

Nothing has changes since the last time we went through this.
I don't think I actually asked about these details before.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Is this deposit eaten, or do you get it back if the item sells/doesn't sell? By "item value", do you mean the price you're posting it for, or some internal arbitrary value?
The one you're posting for. You get it back once you sell the item, but don't know if you get it if you just pull it back. Actually not sure about that - maybe you don't get it back ever?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The guy's an RMT fuckface. He already talked about selling in-game assets to get real cash to pay for more accounts.

I was talking about the game itself. Apparently, it's like $30 every time you sign up. That's a bit much, considering I haven't the slightest clue what to even do yet. Maybe if I were already in the game and had fungible assets I could trade in to pay for that, but I don't have any of that to even start with.

It was fine when I could just ignore him, but seeing a bunch of other people coach him on how to be profitable is driving me bananas.
72.gif
And not in a good way despite how happy this gif looks.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
The guy's an RMT fuckface. He already talked about selling in-game assets to get real cash to pay for more accounts.

I was talking about the game itself. Apparently, it's like $30 every time you sign up. That's a bit much, considering I haven't the slightest clue what to even do yet. Maybe if I were already in the game and had fungible assets I could trade in to pay for that, but I don't have any of that to even start with.

It was fine when I could just ignore him, but seeing a bunch of other people coach him on how to be profitable is driving me bananas.
72.gif
And not in a good way despite how happy this gif looks.
Don't be mad bro, we jus' fuckin wit you :hug:

Put Norfleet on ignore + I swear I'll never mention AH.

Norfleet

Actually, I was referring to a different game, the one which taught me the importance of an exit strategy and how to assess value. Selling anything isn't actually the goal, but it provides both an important method of keeping score and, like I said: An exit strategy. I actually just like hoarding tons of gold to have tons of gold, which essentially involves the same strategies, but...exit plan.

Norfleet

Do you by any chance play as The Dragon?
My playing style does tend to be rather draconic, yes. My last experience with MMOs has drastically revised my outlook on accounting and negatively affected my view of the stability of such games, though. Now I have to think in terms of "How do I get my money back when this goes tits-up?". It's not something I necessarily WANT, but it's something I apparently have to plan for.

hello friend

Arcane
Dammit, I was making a joke. Oh, well.

Yeah, play EVE. It's got a dynamic economy. You can make those phat stax, get dat sweet sweet cash. And there are loads of different ways of doing it, so you never have to get bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom