Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems I'm packing up and diving back into the secret world pretty soon.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Real trailer, and apparently it's out today ( for subscribers :roll: ). Little worried that it's only ten bux like the previous updates, I thought it was going to be big expansion thing, hope they haven't decided to chop it up or that it's tiny. I won't be able to play it for at least a month anyway so whatever. :negative:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
hope they haven't decided to chop it up

Hopes dashed against jagged rocks of B2P. This update is mostly main story and the Tokyo hub area; a lot of side quest content has been held back to avoid having to put new missions in Kingsmouth etc. again.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Real trailer, and apparently it's out today ( for subscribers :roll: ). Little worried that it's only ten bux like the previous updates, I thought it was going to be big expansion thing, hope they haven't decided to chop it up or that it's tiny. I won't be able to play it for at least a month anyway so whatever. :negative:

The SideStories pack is aimed at July as well, so if you wait just over a month it will be more like a normal zone in terms of content. Issue #9 is the biggest Issue so far, but it is def still more like the other issues than an expansion.

(Full disclosure, I still work on this)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fuck! This game is really a temptation to me, so awesome world... and each new issue it only pushes my storyfag buttons really hard but there is sadness in DeepOcean's heart because I know that hours of frustration, repetition and boredom waits me if I fall for it's charms again. Fuck, what I would do for Ubisoft/Rockstar stop making the open world trash they always do to actually spend 100 to 300 million dollars on an open world game based on a setting like Secret World with good writing for a change and without the usual MMO bullshit.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Little worried that it's only ten bux like the previous updates, I thought it was going to be big expansion thing,
Don't worry, they said that this is the biggest expansion yet.

It also offers the best content in the game so far. The Fear Nothing Foundation is better than 90% of all "scary" FPS levels. Especially that bit with the glass ceiling.

Although it's a bit amusing how the enemies have suddenly learned to use wierdly shaped telegraphs right after Wildstar comes out.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Playing this again (since there's double AP thing going on), I still have a ton of content to do (only started first desert zone). Any big changes happened over the last year? Good to see that it's not abandoned, at least.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing this again (since there's double AP thing going on), I still have a ton of content to do (only started first desert zone). Any big changes happened over the last year? Good to see that it's not abandoned, at least.
AFAIK there are no big changes in game mechanics, but it got a ton of extra content.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Bros, should I play this ? I got a cheap key for 5$ or something a few months back.

I don't really enjoy MMOs , mainly because I am a storyfag and hate mindlessly grinding to level up just for the sake of it, but I am really interested in the setting and I heard this game is different in terms of storytelling than most MMOs. I also, I don't have someone to play it with, so I'm wondering how easy it is to solo it / find parties for dungeon raids (if there are any, dunno) , and how long it takes to experience the whole adventure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It has a very VERY good setting, similarly good writing and storytelling, adventure game type puzzles. The basic freeflow character system is a good idea, but the combat and levelling if standard MMO fair, with lots of grinding unfortunately. It is not easy to solo. You have to decide if you can bear with the grinding to experience the story. If you already have the game, give it a try.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you are a story fag and interested in setting you'll enjoy this mostly. It was hard to find members for low level dungeons but becomes much easier when you reach end game, since the dungeons are the same you can avoid them while levelling.
It is a bit hard to solo and levelling solo becomes boring quickly so you should use some decent setups (claws with rifles was great for soloing when I played it)

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Bros, should I play this ? I got a cheap key for 5$ or something a few months back.

I don't really enjoy MMOs , mainly because I am a storyfag and hate mindlessly grinding to level up just for the sake of it, but I am really interested in the setting and I heard this game is different in terms of storytelling than most MMOs. I also, I don't have someone to play it with, so I'm wondering how easy it is to solo it / find parties for dungeon raids (if there are any, dunno) , and how long it takes to experience the whole adventure.
You can find lots of people to tag along with the story for the first 2 big areas(half of the game) but after that most places are either desolate or people rarely want to join in completing quests.
Storywise those are the weak parts too so you probably wouldn't want to play those areas anyway so give it a try.

Stokowski

Arcane
Best written MMORPG by a mile. Great design elements. Unique character progression method. Awesome-sauce setting.

Fucked up by zones packed to the brim with endlessly repetitive and respawning mobs that consume time, resources - and ultimately your will to keep playing - to plough through.

Such a shame. Such a fuck-up.

Cromwell

Arcane
Didnt find leveling solo particularly hard, but I would advice to check the forums whats good at the Moment. You cant reskill and you can screw yourself when you get the wrong skills. Not that it maters in the long run but you would have to do quests over and over again for skillpoints f you invest in the wrong ones and go solo just to get the right ones. If I remember corectly the difficulty spikes a little in the blue mountains (third area) and you will notice if you have skilled "wrong". Generally a good tip is checking for tings whch seem good together (skills with bleed for example and skills which give you extra damage when someone bleeds) and self heal of course. I soloed everything until transylvania where I stopped playing for the moment (except dungeons of course).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Didnt find leveling solo particularly hard, but I would advice to check the forums whats good at the Moment. You cant reskill and you can screw yourself when you get the wrong skills. Not that it maters in the long run but you would have to do quests over and over again for skillpoints f you invest in the wrong ones and go solo just to get the right ones. If I remember corectly the difficulty spikes a little in the blue mountains (third area) and you will notice if you have skilled "wrong". Generally a good tip is checking for tings whch seem good together (skills with bleed for example and skills which give you extra damage when someone bleeds) and self heal of course. I soloed everything until transylvania where I stopped playing for the moment (except dungeons of course).
Soloing isn't hard, what is hard is not being utterly bored by it. I just wanted some good soul did a clean up on this game and released a combat system that is actually fun to play.

Cromwell

Arcane
Soloing isn't hard, what is hard is not being utterly bored by it. I just wanted some good soul did a clean up on this game and released a combat system that is actually fun to play.

Or get rid of all the mmo stuff and made it into a solo player game, or a multiplayer where freinds can drop in and out. Then you can malke the world actually react to you instead of static mmo stuff. The fog could end.... It would be glorious.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It has a very VERY good setting, similarly good writing and storytelling, adventure game type puzzles. The basic freeflow character system is a good idea, but the combat and levelling if standard MMO fair, with lots of grinding unfortunately. It is not easy to solo. You have to decide if you can bear with the grinding to experience the story. If you already have the game, give it a try.

Grind really doesn't matter considering you can replay every mission after a cooldown. It doesn't rely on conventional one-time quests so if you like something you can keep doing it. Not to mention, like you said, the more open ended character development is a good thing and doesn't really compel you into that usual "gotta level up fast to get to X" mentality. Your solo capabilities depend entirely on your weapon choice and as long as you can heal you're good to go for the most part.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You already have the key? Absolutely try it. You will have a blast until you get bored with the combat. Soloing is easy at the beginning. If you decide to keep going and you're not stupid, you'll gradually learn how to build a solid character.

Even if you decide not to keep going after a while, the first island is cool with several challenging "Investigation" missions.

Definitely worth a look.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Grind really doesn't matter considering you can replay every mission after a cooldown. It doesn't rely on conventional one-time quests so if you like something you can keep doing it.
Repeating a mission or quest is still a grind.

Not to mention, like you said, the more open ended character development is a good thing and doesn't really compel you into that usual "gotta level up fast to get to X" mentality. Your solo capabilities depend entirely on your weapon choice and as long as you can heal you're good to go for the most part.
No. You still need to get experience to get skill points, which not only give you a +bonus but also affect what level item you can equip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom