Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Huh? Nothing wrong with death in AoC. Please don't go popamole and have me have no penalty at all. There's already no xp loss, so don't take away all the consequences of death.

Shannow

Waster of Time
bylam said:
Spawns are always timer or trigger based. I guess the answer to the question is yes, if you hang around on the exact spot where you just killed something it will spawn on your ass after a time.
This. I dislike it in general (= fucking abhor it). Anybody throwing ideas around how spawns could come from "nests" and move through the environment from there? Possibly allowing the players to "shut down nests" for a while by completing a coupled elite dungeon, or some such? Perhaps I'm just asking for something mmos will never be able/willing to provide. And since I'm not an mmo-player, perhaps you shouldn't listen ;)

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Shannow said:
bylam said:
Spawns are always timer or trigger based. I guess the answer to the question is yes, if you hang around on the exact spot where you just killed something it will spawn on your ass after a time.
This. I dislike it in general (= fucking abhor it). Anybody throwing ideas around how spawns could come from "nests" and move through the environment from there? Possibly allowing the players to "shut down nests" for a while by completing a coupled elite dungeon, or some such? Perhaps I'm just asking for something mmos will never be able/willing to provide. And since I'm not an mmo-player, perhaps you shouldn't listen ;)

Sure, you're talking about "monster factories" as we call them and it is almost exactly as you describe (except that the spawns are not coupled to a dungeon, but rather to other spawns). We have those too. In fact every monster has an ecology and quite often ecologies involve spawning mechanics. See from about 2:35 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBEkTYoJ ... re=related

But that said a part of the gameplay challenge in an MMO comes from aggro management. If everything is dynamically spawned then designers lose that element of control.

Mystary!

Arcane
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/07/th ... ugh-part-1
Some new gameplay footage. Graphics are amazing but the human models a bit too plastic. And the open character system sounds stupid, changing youre entire build while in a dungeon to counter a specific problem? Feels like its gonna get pretty diluted, everyone will get the same skills for the same dungeons. " But I wanna dueal wild katanas!" "No this boss requires fireballs, everyone load up on fireballs!"

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Remember Funcom is the dev that thinks that all you need are in-house testers to test 48 vs 48 siege battles, which were meant to be the highlight of end game PVP. Who knows if they even had 96 testers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
fyezall said:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/07/the-secret-world-savage-coast-walkthrough-part-1
Some new gameplay footage. Graphics are amazing but the human models a bit too plastic. And the open character system sounds stupid, changing youre entire build while in a dungeon to counter a specific problem? Feels like its gonna get pretty diluted, everyone will get the same skills for the same dungeons. " But I wanna dueal wild katanas!" "No this boss requires fireballs, everyone load up on fireballs!"
And I will say fuck them, and wield my katanas. :smug: As you can see in the demo, the specific roles are still there in the game (healer, tank etc), why would everyone use the same skills when a party needs to be versatile to be effective.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The skill system looks pretty solid. The benefit is that if your build gets nerfed to the ground you can just use another skill set, instead of being useless or rolling an alt until the next balance patch hits.

Graphics look nice, just gotta polish the characters.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That looks rather nice. I'm not much of an MMO player after my WoW phase (except for the little bit of DDO with the Codex) but this one seems interesting.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
fyezall said:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/07/the-secret-world-savage-coast-walkthrough-part-1

Keep in mind that the effect is greatly exaggerated in that video - I doubt people will swap entire builds in a real dungeon run. Mostly to find counters to specific effects e.t.c.

The encounter design is generally based around formulas such as "the group needs to do X damage" and "the group needs to heal x damage over time" e.t.c. in addition to general mechanics shown such as bringing specific effects (like purging the white boss shield) and movement.

The advantage of designing encounters for a "group sized" setting is that it means if a group needs to be able to heal, say 500pts every second you can either have a dedicated healer who brings 7 healing skills that equal that total OR you can have every person in the group bring one healing skill each and focus on themselves e.t.c.
Or any combination between those two extremes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Excidium said:
Sounds good. Will beta happen this year?
IIRC the devs said that the first internal beta will start soon, and after that there will probably be an open beta. They haven't said a date though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
J_C said:
Excidium said:
Sounds good. Will beta happen this year?
IIRC the devs said that the first internal beta will start soon, and after that there will probably be an open beta. They haven't said a date though.
I see. Nice, might be sooner than I thought.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Looks like the beta signup started at the end of last month. Seems to be some silly community game involving facebook, which I unceremoniously discarded. Anyway, faggotry aside, it's pretty much the only MMO I got an interest on lately.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Gragt said:
Looks like the beta signup started at the end of last month. Seems to be some silly community game involving facebook, which I unceremoniously discarded.
Yeah...

I already registered to the beta a long time ago when they launched that hotsite where you choose a faction, hopefully it's still valid.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The fuck? I tried registering for the beta without facebook and it wanted to force facebook down my throat anyway. The only thing worse than mandatory Steam and always online with a single player game? Facebook.
Seriously, I felt like I was in South Park. But since this will just be another version of farmville I'll pass.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Excidium said:
This game has potential.

I like this screenshot:
tsw_4-1067x600-1067x600.jpg

Voodoo!
I like it too, since it actually makes a lot of sense. Due to the fact that many of the most powerful Loa are ultimately benevolent and would on our side if Cthulhu and bros came knocking.

Besides, this way the bad guys will finally see Death, and then realize Death is a nigger motherfucker (congrats if you get the reference).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/13/the-s ... societies/

New developer diary video. Doesn't really say much, but provides a pretty good and short overview of the game, gameplay and factions.

I may have missed this before, but it seems it has an element where player can fight at key locations, and if that faction can keep and maintain their hold on that area, it then benefits that entire faction.

Sadly, I didn't realize this was being published by EA though.....

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
100 player pvp zone. I hope no-one buys that shit. They said the exact same thing about Age of Conan.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Zed said:
100 player pvp zone. I hope no-one buys that shit. They said the exact same thing about Age of Conan.
I bet they're going to beta test that location with 20 in-house testers and then just launch with it. :lol:

Fuck, man, I picked the Dragon when that page opened up, not thinking about all the weeaboos. And now I can't change it. Fuck.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:lol:

Yeah I ended up with The Dragon too. I'd probably side with the Templars if I ever got this game though...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What MMOG's have you played Excidium?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom