Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's obvious that PoE's profits didn't directly "save Obsidian", but the credibility it added to the company (before the Kickstarter they were on the verge of being considered incompetent chucklefucks that nobody liked and nobody wanted to do business with) seems to have made all these new publisher-funded projects possible.

Is this wishful thinking or are there some actual hints at it happening?

It's the most parsimonious explanation. We have signs of it from as early as December 2012, eg: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8684

It almost feels like a fairy tale ending: after years of rushed projects, sudden cancellations, and brutal layoffs, Obsidian is suddenly in control of its own destiny. They've got two promising games on the way, and even just a few months ago, major publishers were knocking on their door: Urquhart told me he's been talking to Bethesda, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., and LucasArts.

Somehow, after the Kickstarter, everybody liked Obsidian (although that article may be overstating things to some degree)

Kz3r0

Arcane
Somehow, after the Kickstarter, everybody liked Obsidian (although that article may be overstating things to some degree)
And the end result is Obsidian NON making the sequel to South Park RPG.
As far as I know Obsidian has only four projects running at the moment:
Armored Warfare Russian MMO.
Skyforge Russian MMO.
Pathfinder card game for Tablets.
PoE expansion.
Lotsa AAA+ publishers there.
De facto Obsidian has phased out from the mainstream game industry and pursued alternative venues, not a bad thing in itself.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And the end result is Obsidian NON making the sequel to South Park RPG.
As far as I know Obsidian has only four projects running at the moment:
Armored Warfare Russian MMO.
Skyforge Russian MMO.
Pathfinder card game for Tablets.
PoE expansion.
Lotsa AAA+ publishers there.
De facto Obsidian has phased out from the mainstream game industry and pursued alternative venues, not a bad thing in itself.
There's supposed to be one more project in the works, but I honestly don't know anymore...

Perkel

Arcane
Lords of Xulima is getting some nice retail deals here and there. It's a pretty decent hit in Germany.

What i noticed is that incline is strong in Germany/poland/russia for rpgs.

:jokeaboutpostapoandeasterneurope:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CDPR says that Witcher 3 has 690 thousand people who play the game through GoG. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-people-playing-witcher-3-on-gog-than-on-steam/1100-6428013/

If that counts as sales on their website, well Witcher 3 is ranked 25th in best sellers http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&page=1?as=1649904300

Hasbro looks like it's been cleaning up on GoG.
Were those copies actually purchased on GOG, or are they retail releases that install with the GOG client or whatever? I doubt the site's chart would count that.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Were those copies actually purchased on GOG, or are they retail releases that install with the GOG client or whatever? I doubt the site's chart would count that.
I don't know, but I could also seem them counting any activation.

Perkel

Arcane
CDPR says that Witcher 3 has 690 thousand people who play the game through GoG. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-people-playing-witcher-3-on-gog-than-on-steam/1100-6428013/

If that counts as sales on their website, well Witcher 3 is ranked 25th in best sellers http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&page=1?as=1649904300

Hasbro looks like it's been cleaning up on GoG.

We don't know but it is safe to say they count activation in it. That is how usually those companies state their "numbers". Thanks to it GOG looks BIG so people think it is second biggest online retailer for games after steam.

Either way can't complain. GOG is fantastic online DD shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Monthly update, numbers fluctuate but nothing really changed.
Any game people want to add?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Lords of Xulima is getting some nice retail deals here and there. It's a pretty decent hit in Germany.
You can get it for <10 euros in potatoland. If it wasn't for me having exams, some plans and backlog I'd buy it.

It's pretty weird as far as I remember Divinity:OS wasn't sold in retail in the US until winter, while here it was available like month after release. There must be lots of love for RPG's in potatoland.

deuxhero

Arcane
O7prF9J.png

:cry:

Note that Underrail has never been on a sale (and thus never on front page) in the two years it has been on. I think even a token -20% every now and then would help those numbers quite a bit.

It's also English only (understandable, the text isn't remotely finished), which cuts off some of the bigger buyers of this kind of game (German translations are supposed to be pretty big for games like this)

Viata

Arcane

SniperHF

Arcane
Note that Underrail has never been on a sale (and thus never on front page) in the two years it has been on. I think even a token -20% every now and then would help those numbers quite a bit.

It's also English only (understandable, the text isn't remotely finished), which cuts off some of the bigger buyers of this kind of game (German translations are supposed to be pretty big for games like this)

I think it did make the front page because way back when Early Access first started you would get put on the front page sometimes with a new release Early Access game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom