Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The usual wave of people going full retard aside, I wasn't just being a sarcastic asshole Vault Dweller

If I made an actual game and it sold 50k, then some SJW cucklords threw a bunch of money at some shill puppets over a Newgrounds game and it sold 20x that I'd be pretty pissed off and lose faith in both the industry and humanity. You're not doing any of that. You're just claiming that's success. Which naturally makes people question if we'll see you blowing Nathan Grayson in back alleys at some point in the near future.
Lose faith in humanity over some game selling tons of copies? How about Diablo 3? Should I kill myself because it sold 30 million copies?

I don't care how much Darkest Dungeon sold. I neither envy its financial success nor want to jump on that bandwagon. I'm perfectly ok with making games that will never ever sell more than 50-100,000 copies.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I were shocked shitless that Witcher blew up way it did, right time, right place I suppose. Mind you helped that there were a dry thirsty market out there at time I suppose.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye, plus made a change havin a different slant than usual fantasy stuff, though I think sequel went downhill in some ways.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Diablo 3 only sold because of Diablo 2. And nothing suppressed the massive widescale negative reaction. Bad example.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The usual wave of people going full retard aside, I wasn't just being a sarcastic asshole Vault Dweller

If I made an actual game and it sold 50k, then some SJW cucklords threw a bunch of money at some shill puppets over a Newgrounds game and it sold 20x that I'd be pretty pissed off and lose faith in both the industry and humanity. You're not doing any of that. You're just claiming that's success. Which naturally makes people question if we'll see you blowing Nathan Grayson in back alleys at some point in the near future.
The only possible route to happiness is to fight as much as possible against the instinct to compare your wellbeing to those whose wellbeing is better. The advent of the Internet means that there is nothing I am better at, or better off in, than everyone else around me. There are people who know Primordia's lore better than I do, and I wrote the damn game. I spend monthsyears reading sagas and eddas and Nordic folklore and Norse mythology, and like five random posters on the Codex know more than I do about the every aspect of that -- shitposterslearned men start citing the Exeter Book at me and explaining why my alliteration is inauthentic. Comparing yourself to people at the top -- or even the people all around you -- may have some motivational benefit, but ultimately it's a road to misery. You have to just figure out what is is that you want, and get it, and appreciate it. VD's done that. Mazel tov.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Diablo 3 only sold because of Diablo 2. And nothing suppressed the massive widescale negative reaction. Bad example.
My point was that it was an awful fucking game yet it sold a massive amount of copies becoming one of the top selling games of all times. Why is irrelevant. Same goes for the negative reaction as that's not what we're discussing here. From the financial perspective it was a smashing success to the tune of over two billion dollars. And guess what? Diablo 4 will sell like fucking hotcakes, regardless of that "massive widescale negative reaction". That's just how these things work.

Welcome to Earth.

Celerity

I like how you both are unironically comparing games that had the highest sales of all time with a shitty walking sim that most likely spent at least a million dollars buying off reviewers so it got so much attention and still is on the wrong side of one million (which I will take credit for even if I'm not actually responsible because the shillpuppets are already so triggered they are stalking my Twitter and spamming it with nonsense 50 times in rapid succession, then they get BTFO by the overwhelming hard evidence against them and scamper off like a kicked puppy).

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like how you both are unironically comparing games that had the highest sales of all time with a shitty walking sim that most likely spent at least a million dollars buying off reviewers so it got so much attention and still is on the wrong side of one million (which I will take credit for even if I'm not actually responsible because the shillpuppets are already so triggered they are stalking my Twitter and spamming it with nonsense 50 times in rapid succession, then they get BTFO by the overwhelming hard evidence against them and scamper off like a kicked puppy).
Financially, the game is a success. An indie company that nobody's heard of made a game that outsold Wasteland 2 despite Brain Fargo's media mastery. That's an achievement, even if they did bribe reviewers.Most indie games never sell over 200,000 copies, many can't even clear 50k copies. You can trash the game all you want and I might even agree with your criticism as I got bored after 104 minutes, but refusing to acknowledge its financial success is kind of silly.

Celerity

Spend a million dollars buying out every media outlet that will go along with it and you can shill out a Newgrounds game. Imagine that marketing behind a real game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Spend a million dollars buying out every media outlet that will go along with it and you can shill out a Newgrounds game. Imagine that marketing behind a real game.
Tell that to games like Sunset, which got way more than 1M dollars worth in free promotion and endorsement by the media, yet couldn't even break 20K sales.

Celerity

Undertale got surprisingly little promotion. It exploded because Tumberlinas.
Sunset was spammed for free but it was obvious SJW shit (instead of mildly subtle SJW shit) so everyone lolnoped, then they threw it in with the bundle trash so it could get more "sales".

Turjan

Arcane
Financially, the game is a success. An indie company that nobody's heard of made a game that outsold Wasteland 2 despite Brain Fargo's media mastery. That's an achievement, even if they did bribe reviewers.Most indie games never sell over 200,000 copies, many can't even clear 50k copies. You can trash the game all you want and I might even agree with your criticism as I got bored after 104 minutes, but refusing to acknowledge its financial success is kind of silly.
True. The game had one advantage over many of its competitors: It has a very attractive art style. The trailers look simply great. It takes a while to discover that the gameplay may not be so hot, but it only takes a minute or two to note that it's very nice to look at. Many a sale has been driven by first impressions.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
True. The game had one advantage over many of its competitors: It has a very attractive art style. The trailers look simply great. It takes a while to discover that the gameplay may not be so hot, but it only takes a minute or two to note that it's very nice to look at. Many a sale has been driven by first impressions.
Darkest Dungeon would still be compelling tablet game, if only you could leave game mid dungeon.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

The art style (and narrator) certainly helped, but I think it was also the the novel stress mechanic etc. which initially kept people interested.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Monthly update::
Invisible Inc. sold more than a quarter of a million of copies, so did Shadowrun:hong Kong.
Banner Saga 2 sold sixty thousand copies, so did Hard West.
Moved Age of Decadence to the upper tier, according to Vault Dweller sold more than fifty thousand copies.
Torment sold more than twenty thousand copies in Early Access.
Bastard Bonds sold around five thousand copies.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Are Torment's EA sales comparable to other EA sales of similar scope RPGs or are they underperforming/overperforming?

SniperHF

Arcane
Are Torment's EA sales comparable to other EA sales of similar scope RPGs or are they underperforming/overperforming?

I'm not sure that's a very easy comparison to make. Most of Torment's comparables were pre steam spy. Obvious ones being D:OS and WL2. Pillars didn't have a standard early access, but a closed beta.

Also it's pretty difficult to determine how many backers have KS keys vs copies sold in early access. You can guess based on the # of beta pledges but that doesn't include add-ons (I did an add on for example) nor does it include backers who simply didn't activate their key.

Gut instinct says Torment is under-performing vs those 2 in EA simply because a lot of players don't want to hear anything about the story. You can see this attitude all over in discussions (or the lack thereof) about it. But that's a wild guess.

You can try a comparison the old active players way though:
http://steamcharts.com/app/272270
http://steamcharts.com/app/240760

Scroll down to 2013 for WL2.
Basically nobody is playing Torment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Monthly update::
Invisible Inc. sold more than a quarter of a million of copies, so did Shadowrun:hong Kong.
Banner Saga 2 sold sixty thousand copies, so did Hard West.
Moved Age of Decadence to the upper tier, according to Vault Dweller sold more than fifty thousand copies.
Torment sold more than twenty thousand copies in Early Access.
Bastard Bonds sold around five thousand copies.

Might have been a better idea to wait until a few days after the Steam summer sale is over before doing the update.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Monthly update:
Neo Scavenger gains a position.

Battle Brothers reaches the top in its tier.

Heroes of a Broken Land pass to the superior tier.

Mustawd

This was probably due to their 65%-75% sale. Wish there was a way to include the average price because sales figures are meaningless if the games are extremely discounted.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

This was probably due to their 65%-75% sale. Wish there was a way to include the average price because sales figures are meaningless if the games are extremely discounted.
A relatively decent way to do it is to look at player totals rather than owner totals on Steamspy. Obviously this is imperfect, but a huge portion of people who buy a game on extreme discount never actually play it. For example, AOD has like a 85% rate of owner-players, while, say, Blackguards (which has been bundled a dozen times or whatever) has a 45% rate. Quest For Infamy has a 55% rate (because of bundling, I assume -- Primordia's at 55% too, I assume for the same reason, whereas Resonance, which was never put in a junk bundle AFAIK, is at like 66%), but Heroine's Quest (being F2P) has a 28% rate. It's an imperfect science (as with anything on Steamspy) but perhaps better than nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom