Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
So you have played Risen 2 without forcing yourself?Oh wait you didn't even play the actual game. Try to finish that crap without pulling yourself into it with "i bought it for the full price and fuck this, i'm gonna make it to the end"
And as Arcania is hit/miss with hardware, Risen 2 looks and works like shit no matter the rig. It's just fucking ugly and broken.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stop being a shit poster. You can tell the quality of the writing from the Risen 2 demo unless it takes some massive precipitous drop off a cliff (which I highly doubt). It's nowhere near as bad as the vapid declarative statements that make up Arcania's dialogue.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Risen 2 is much better optimized than Arcania and even though I dislike both, Risen 2 is also a much better game. It's not quite the streamlined console shit that Arcania is.

The only way you can think Arcania is well optimized is if your PC is powerful enough to bruteforce its way through the shitty optimization.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Stop being a shit poster. You can tell the quality of the writing from the Risen 2 demo unless it takes some massive precipitous drop off a cliff (which I highly doubt).
And you call ME a shitposter? HAHAHAHAHA.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I finally had some time to play Risen 2 and thought I leave some impressions for those who are still not sure about the game.

- It is inferior to the other PB games because they decided to leave out three dimensional level design and make a game out of corridors, rooms and bigger rooms that they call jungles. Considering the top-notch level design and exploration options its predecesors have had, this is the biggest flaw in the game.

- The dlcs were obviously cut from the main game - a dick move if there ever was one.

-The combat is not shit like many would claim but it is not as enjoyable as it was in Risen 1. It is not a click-fest and it is quite tactical, more so without the patched in dodge. Pure sword fighting is only viable against humans, against animals you have to use every trick you have and work out through experimentation what works and what doesn't.
An example: if you fight ghouls with just your sword you will probably end up stun locked. A tactic I use is to fire my shotgun once or twice before they get close then send in the parrot. While they are distracted I circle around to their backs and hit them with power attacks until they die. If they manage to turn around and start hitting me, by the second or third blow I can kick them away and send in the parrot again.
Still, for some reason it's not as fun as in Risen 1.

- Quests, dialogues and voice-acting is standard PB stuff. It's not PST but it pisses over anything Bioware or Betheseda can come up with. No romances at all as is decent and no ass-kissing your companions for influence as it should be.

- Loot distribution is shit as it was in Risen 1. Low level locked chests give you artifact pieces and schematics while extremely hard to open chests give you a few torches and a bottle of rum.

- Digging up treasure is, against my better judgement, fun as is collecting the legendary pokemons artifacts.

The best description I can give the game is: "Think of Kotor then make it about pirates, add a tactical but clunky action-combat and that's Risen 2."

In conclusion, if this game was made by anybody else I would say it's good and worth playing, but because it's made by PB, it is very dissapointing - worth playing but not worth paying the initial price.

P.S.: I was hurting for gold at least 60-70% of the game which is cool.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Pretty much agree with Lord Andre, while not absolutely terrible, Risen 2 is a step back from Risen which is a step back from Gothic 2. Perhaps Risen 3 will finally cross the threshold into complete shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm finally playing this and should have some thoughts no one cares about eventually, but right now I have a possible bug situation/question. It's from the second island, pretty early in the game, but avert your eyes if you hate any spoiler.

Anyway... I had a mission to get the scout's report on the temple where Crow is hiding. The scout asked me to get information from the native's village on how many people are in the temple. Problem is I already visited the village and chatted everyone up, to the point none of those dialog options are still there and the fact I already asked doesn't seem to have counted.

Boned/Non Boned?

Edit: Never mind, the head hunter guy's dialogue did change.

Modron

Arcane
Just a heads up, siding with indigenous people over the inquisitors provides inferior gear/character abilities even if it does provide a more novel npc/a few instances of magic use in 2-3 quests. Stronger rifles plus associated training made combat easier and quicker and thus far less annoying; I found voodoo to be fairly underpowered and near useless against bosses.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just a heads up, siding with indigenous people over the inquisitors provides inferior gear/character abilities even if it does provide a more novel npc/a few instances of magic use in 2-3 quests. Stronger rifles plus associated training made combat easier and quicker and thus far less annoying; I found voodoo to be fairly underpowered and near useless against bosses.

Voodoo is actually quite powerful towards the end, but it's rather clunky to use. Combat isn't so difficult that it requires any special considerations though. By the end you're steamrolling everything regardless of style.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I focused on guns from the start, because it seemed like such a unique thing for this kind of game. Just got my muskets and daaaaamn they're overpowered.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just completed this game. I enjoyed it, despite also agreeing with most of the criticisms.

Corridor islands is what ruins the game. I was pretty into the whole world through the first and second locations, which are pretty open and nail the colonial and pirate atmosphere perfectly. When I left the Sword Coast I was ready for the next open island to explore and whatever it might present. It was pretty crushing that the rest of the locations are much smaller and much more linear, basically tunnels to a quest objective. They also look exactly the same as the first two, which makes you not care much anymore.

The big city and the end areas did look different but were still small, and by that point you're already bummed. There was some fun to be had in the latter half of the game like the gnome village and such, but overall I think the best parts of exploration are in the first half, which kills the second half of the game. Overall landmass is probably the same as Risen but it's just designed poorly.

Combat I thought was fine but the gun path, which I took, became super easy. It's weird to be in a Piranha Bytes game never getting hit and having 50 health potions on your hotbar because you never use them. Still I thought the gunplay was unique for the genre and fun, running around with a shotgun in a PB game is also kind of surreal. I can't imagine how this game launched without the roll feature, that was pretty essential to dodge and avoid being stunlocked.

I always like PB leveling systems and dialogue and this was no exception. Quests were normal, fine. The setting was done really well and is probably what kept me going to the end. Overall it was worth playing.

Shitty exploration in the second half and a complete lack of difficulty in the second half really take the game down from a classic to below average. Shame.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
So this game is only enjoyable with ranged weapons and thievery? I tried to play with sword and pistol but gave up after a few hours, melee combat is really bad. But i really like tropical setting in games so i want to give it another try.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
What does Fire Oil do? There's no indication in the game of what it does. It looks cool though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What a ringing endorsement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom