Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

made

Arcane
Gdzie kurwa ta recenzja?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well I picked this bullshit the moment the first buzzwords like 'accessible' and 'wide audience' started to be banded about with press releases. I remember a lot of rage directed at me for my lack of faith in PB and for their decision to piss on their loyal and fanatical fans in a mistaken belief that they can somehow do a Bioware and get millions of converts if they dumb down their game, despite not being able to compete in anyway with the AAA production and marketing values of the big studios. How they didn't realise that the masses wouldn't touch some dinky looking obscure Kraut production regardless how popamole it was is beyond me. Didn't they follow what happened with Arcania? Well here we fucking are...

I take it, as someone who greatly enjoyed G1, G2 and Risen 1, I should avoid this game like the plague? Or perhaps await a Super Awesome Finished Edition! sometime in the future?

Yeah, I would say so. There is a good idea for a game buried somewhere very deep underneath all the derp, fedex quests and horrible design decisions that constitute Risen 2, but that's unfortunately only an idea and not any substance. I'll try to have a review ready in the middle of june, so you'll be able to read all my gripes in-depth, but the gist is basically this. Simply a massive waste of opportunity.

If you managed to like Gothic 3, I guess you might give it a try, but I would advise not to.

On a scale of 1 to 5 Arcania's, how would you rate this?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

It's definitely a waste of time and a horrible game overall. But it has some at least SOME, albeit very seldom, good features, and there are SOME nice ideas buried under all the clusterfuck, but they never really come to life. Meanwhile, Arcania had no good qualities whatsoever.

3/5 Arcanias. Even mods wouldn't fix it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Arcania?
:rage:
Don't remind me!

30dfccl.jpg

:martini:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

It's definitely a waste of time and a horrible game overall. But it has some at least SOME, albeit very seldom, good features, and there are SOME nice ideas buried under all the clusterfuck, but they never really come to life. Meanwhile, Arcania had no good qualities whatsoever.

3/5 Arcanias. Even mods wouldn't fix it.

That's a shame. Will just have to replay the Gothics for this particular fix. Been 7 years since I last played Gothic so enough time has elapsed to make it 'new' in my mind again.

Fun fact: I actually played through The Fall of Shitariff....:M If ever something could be worse than Arcania that was it. Only saving grace is that it took barely 3 hours to finish on the hardest difficulty! The sheer awfulness of it just made me intrigued enough to see how low it could go. I think it reached an absolute before turning in on itself.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Someone is full of shit. Risen 2 can be improved:
- The sword combat is not fundamentally retarded like in Gothic3 (the player and the opponents can dodge) but is nowhere near Risen 1.
- The muskets were actually pretty good. Scrap the voodoo shit, I honestly don't care about that shit.
- Better quests can definitely be implemented. Implement proper factions. Put back armors as special rewards.
- Mining can be improved from mining just gold to all kind of minerals.
- Alchemy should be allowed, cause I gathered all kinds of stuff and in the end, I did not brew one single fucking potion for the entire game.
- Put back hunter's perks like skinning and shit.
- Make a credible trade system. Not like I buy an item with 1000 gold and I sell it back with 10 gold. That was always a weakness in PB's games.
- Make a fucking big world. Not shitty islands that are smaller than my penis. I guess this shit has something to do with Xbawks crap.
- Decrease the number of pointless *treasures*, mobs and traveling.
So, the game can be improved a lot. But the amount of stuff to fix this game would effectively mean to create another game. That's the real problem. Risen 2 is missing the mark by a long fucking shot.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I don't know. Never underestimate the power of the Gothic modding community. Gothic 3 was turned from a buggy turd into a great game(yeah, fuck the naysayers) and even an irredeemable disaster like Forsaken Gods was fixed to make it playable(even if still by far the weakest in the proper series). Maybe they could fix Risen 2 as well given enough time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So... then it can't be improved.

Yeah, I'm arguing semantics. It can be improved, but it will never happen. Doesn't matter in the end.

And the fucking disappointment keep on growing. It seems Deep Silver is more interested in "Risen 2 Treasures" App for Facebook. And atmospheric trailers:

Dat music makes me throw up.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well it wasn't that bad. The ending was survivable, thought it was done as if little child wrote that ending. If Risen 3 would have combat from Risen, and if they would do a mockery of these two previous endings it would be survivable, or great game, which depends on execution.

Deleted member 7219

Well I refused to buy Risen 2 while it was being sold at £39.99, but Steam have just had it on sale with the DLC, managed to get everything for under £20.

First impressions: depth of field/blurry shit everywhere. I turned DoF off in the settings but it is still there. Feels like my character has cataracts. He is missing an eye, but that should only affect his depth perception. Unless he is also constantly drunk.

Combat is awful, Risen 1's combat wasn't bad and I don't understand why they had to change it. Camera is similarly bad. Don't get me started on menus. Risen did all of these rather well, why make them worse?

Character models are laughably low-res, but I suppose it is better than the small heads/big bodies and big heads/small bodies that were in Gothic 3 and Risen 1 respectively.

Very concerned about the dumbing down. Whenever you pick up food, it is added to your inventory as 'Provisions'. Oh dear. It feels a lot like the Medi-gel in the Mass Effect series. Starting area is extremely confined with not much to do. Compare this to Risen 1, where you start on a beach and have a big island to explore right away.

I've got past the first part, travelled somewhere on a ship, and arrived at a tropical island somewhere. I hope this isn't a small instance and is in fact a large landmass, because right now I'm worried that all there is to this game is small instances and no freedom or exploration.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Only saving grace is that it took barely 3 hours to finish on the hardest difficulty!
I beat it in 2h33m. The random archdemon died after 4 arrows.

Kraszu

Prophet
- The sword combat is not fundamentally retarded like in Gothic3 (the player and the opponents can dodge) but is nowhere near Risen 1.

In G3 you could strafe (in Risen2 only strafing is so slow that it is useless), so you had used that to dodge, and to to find right moment to attack.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

In G3 you could strafe (in Risen2 only strafing is so slow that it is useless), so you had used that to dodge, and to to find right moment to attack.

After I've played Dark Soul, I honestly have no words to describe how shitty is the sword combat in both G3 and R2.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

After I've played Dark Soul, I honestly have no words to describe how shitty is the sword combat in both G3 and R2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure whether to get this or not. Couldn't play it until January as I am overseas with just a laptop. Reviews and forum reactions were meh. Hmmm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It really does boggle my mind how they fucked up R2 combat when all they had to do is carbon copy R1 combat and it would have been fine. If anyone is brave enough to still want to play this Amazon price matched it and if you use the code OCTOFUN1 you can get another 25% off the sale price. So, like $12.75 versus whatever it is on Steam... $16? You just need to fake a US address if you live elsewhere. Even at that price I'm going to pass. They utterly fucking wrecked the core of what makes a Gothic game a Gothic game (even worse than G3). Can't believe they went so far off track after Risen 1.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It really does boggle my mind how they fucked up R2 combat when all they had to do is carbon copy R1 combat and it would have been fine. If anyone is brave enough to still want to play this Amazon price matched it and if you use the code OCTOFUN1 you can get another 25% off the sale price. So, like $12.75 versus whatever it is on Steam... $16? You just need to fake a US address if you live elsewhere. Even at that price I'm going to pass. They utterly fucking wrecked the core of what makes a Gothic game a Gothic game (even worse than G3). Can't believe they went so far off track after Risen 1.

I play games instead of drinking Vodka and shooting Squirrels cause they're supposed to be more fun... If not HD purge and back to do doing something else. All they had to do was to make bigger Risen 1 in Pirate settings with guns (however ridiculous such leap from High medieval culture to XVII/XVIII century in few years would be). They failed me, their loss. :killit:

Deleted member 7219

Haven't got much further in Risen 2 yet, but for shits and giggles I reinstalled Risen 1, and it is so much better. The camera and the way the character moves being just two examples. Character animations and voiceovers are also really good. I still had my save game from my second playthrough, and I was in the swamp camp stood next to Brogar. When you talk to him, the camera behaves properly, he doesn't do any fucked up movements, and there aren't any graphical glitches. The game is smooth.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Haven't got much further in Risen 2 yet, but for shits and giggles I reinstalled Risen 1, and it is so much better. The camera and the way the character moves being just two examples. Character animations and voiceovers are also really good. I still had my save game from my second playthrough, and I was in the swamp camp stood next to Brogar. When you talk to him, the camera behaves properly, he doesn't do any fucked up movements, and there aren't any graphical glitches. The game is smooth.

Exactly they had proven engine, game system and most of assets. I fucking hate when every new game must be new shit for the the sake of being new shit for consoltard novelty seeking plebs only. Especially when instead of new game features we got more bloom and dumbing down accessibility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom