Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow I wasn't bothered by the fragmentation. The Isle of the Dead would be exactly as bad if it was a part of the mainland. That location is the epitome of genericness.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That location is the epitome of genericness.

I liked the art style. The indian city-in-stone look of it was really cool, as were the high mountains around it and the hueg portal leading inside when you look at them when arriving in your silly little boat. It was a much needed change after all those generic goddamn jungles that all look the friggin same.

Of course, the art style is where the good sides of the isle end.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, the art style was OK, though on my machine some of the caves surprised me with the amount of bloom. As I'm sure you know ;), I was talking about the 2 fetch quests and the other "do the obvious" quests on the island. It felt a bit weird when the most interesting thing that happened there was the conversation with the doctor's alter ego.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First thing I do in every game: turn off the bloom/HD effects.

Elwro

Arcane
I was sure I did turn them off, but the game's so incompetently coded it turns them on every once in a while; especially the distance blur.

Phelot

Arcane
I cannot say enough just how dissapointing this game was in comparison to Risen 1.

I gotta agree with this completely. I didn't even get past the part that is suppose to be good. I'm just not feeling it. The exploration feels boring, there's too many shit chests with shit loot rather than spreading it out. The mountains of cash feels lame even though you use it essentially as XP to buy talents or skills (whatever it is) things like pickpocketing feel lackluster and combat is more about mashing buttons. The controls also feel unresponsive at times. I don't know, I regret buying this now. Also, the graphics look unbelievably bad and I'm not even that much of a graphics whore, but somehow Risen 1 looked better than this, not to mention that the islands look like they were randomly generated or something what with trees and grass growing in presumably salt water coasts... wat.

Emily

Arcane
What do you think guys, is this the end of PB?
Since they fucked off the old fans of Gothic(fuck you if you think this is anything like gothic, instant healing potions? fuck off) , but on the other hand, i dont see this game being much popular with the masses... And honestly it looks like yet another generic game, with shitty graphics, and clunky combat, i doubt it will be anything even near mainstream ever.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, its graphics certainly won't impress the masses and it doesn't appear to have much of the classic PB stuff to impress its dedicated fans. Well, maybe I should just speak for myself. I'd say my impression of the game is that it feels rushed and unfinished, and that probably explains most of my gripes in this thread. That isn't to say that I think with patches it'll be fine, I think a lot of the fundamentals of the game just feel boring and rushed.

Don't know what this release means for PB, though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Probably that their next project will be a Kickstarter. M:

Nim

Augur
Judging from the worldofrisen forums (and others) no one gives a fuck about Risen 2. There is a small group of rabid fanbois, some more haters and thats about it. The masses didn't care. Note that this is from a german PoV, if it doesn't sell here then where else ?

Mortmal

Arcane
Fuck the haters I'm still getting it... at 75% off.

Even for free, its not worth it, i got bored very fast of it. Really they should stop game development, theres ways to do much more entertaining games than that with lesser budgets. Really getting fed up of all this mainstream 3D action rpg crap, its not even a complex subgenre, how can they fail so badly at it ? Seeing the day one overpriced dlc shit, its clear those guys priority is not to make us quality games, if all you want is money go for banking softwares or medical ones whatever.
If you really want a good pc action rpg go for witcher 2, they did a better job on it on every aspects.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They are already working on Risen 2 sequel. I found out a couple of posts ago.

"Currently the team is working on a sequel to Risen: Risen 2 - Dark Waters."
http://www.pluto13.de/index.php?navtarget=3&lang=en

So, there are 3 possibilities:
1) They have a contract for a Risen trilogy, that's why they butchered Risen 2. And they intend to deliver Risen 3 in the same state, only to be able to return to Gothic 5. Risen is not their IP, Gothic is.
2) Maybe they were forced to release Risen 2, because of high dev costs (it's quite unbelievable considering that Risen 1 looks better than 2). And now they can make a proper sequel to Risen 2 and then go back to Gothic 5.
3) Maybe they just got old and out-of-touch and we will never play another competent Gothic game. Most likely.

I know that point 1 and 2 are similar. But I don't know. Risen 2 was probably as close as 6 months from a good game.

Tigranes

Arcane
You mean, a group of people will deliberately work on 3 years to create a butchered product just so that, after another 3 years of working on yet another purposefully butchered product, they can return to a Gothic license which is hardly a goldmine of memorable characters and a setting that could not be reproduced?

o_O

Gord

Arcane
Well, one certainly gets the impression that PB are not necessary the most easiest people to work with.
(which might just mean that they insist on doing stuff their way, not as the publisher wants them to)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Gothic license isn't worth much. Even as a fan I recognize the story is pretty much played out at the conclusion of Gothic 3. The world itself is not anything particularly unique and was essentially defined by the war between the humans and orcs. PB needs to go indie and develop a new IP. Other than that it looks like you might as well stick a fork in them.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's old info, they had posted they were working on a sequel to Risen, which was, you know, Risen 2.

I think my brain saw something, but my heart saw a sequel to Risen 2. This is simple desperation.

The Gothic license isn't worth much. Even as a fan I recognize the story is pretty much played out at the conclusion of Gothic 3. The world itself is not anything particularly unique and was essentially defined by the war between the humans and orcs. PB needs to go indie and develop a new IP. Other than that it looks like you might as well stick a fork in them.

Like Fallout license in Bethesda's hands?

You mean, a group of people will deliberately work on 3 years to create a butchered product just so that, after another 3 years of working on yet another purposefully butchered product, they can return to a Gothic license which is hardly a goldmine of memorable characters and a setting that could not be reproduced?

o_O

It was a stupid guess. Really stupid. But I really wish to know that PB is planning on doing.

Tigranes

Arcane
I thought it was still a good enjoyable game, but yes, whereas Risen was an interesting, flawed, but optimistic effort from PB, in retrospective Risen 2 definitely feels like a step down or at least a failure to improve upon the promises of R1. Do we have any sales figures or anything yet? Everyone's talking kickstarter kickstarter but it's not as easy as all that - I hope they sold enough to keep going.

Nim

Augur
I thought it was still a good enjoyable game, but yes, whereas Risen was an interesting, flawed, but optimistic effort from PB, in retrospective Risen 2 definitely feels like a step down or at least a failure to improve upon the promises of R1. Do we have any sales figures or anything yet? Everyone's talking kickstarter kickstarter but it's not as easy as all that - I hope they sold enough to keep going.
No sales figures. The only solid evidence is the absence of a BUI award so far. You get one of these once you go past 100k units sold and they register those numbers monthly. I read that R1 got one after 2 months, we'll see how long it takes for R2.
They also made it (again) clear that there won't be any sales figures from DS because they are a private company and it is company policy not to give those numbers out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ever-so-unreliable VGChartz paints a bleak picture regarding sales (particularly since Deep Silver planned to ship an initial 1 million units back in 2011) but well, my adjective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom