Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Repopulation

DefJam101

Arcane
There's no thread for this game but it looks pretty okay so I'll make one.

http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features/game-overview

Non-grimdark scifi post-apocalyptic-ish sandbox MMO. Hybrid PvP/PvE approach wherein players choose between a couple of opposing NPC nations (think Horde and Alliance) or form their own player-run nation with its own political standings. City building. Siege system similar to Shadowbane's. No levels. Servers with varied rulesets as to what, if anything, you lose on death and when you can attack other players.

Overview doesn't look that impressive but the devs are vocal and most of their blog shit seems to indicate they know how to make a proper PvP MMO, at the very least. For instance, the siege system is explained in detail here: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/109-siege-overview

Will make an Embers of Caerus thread too once that stops being vaporware.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This game is called "The Repopulation", so there better be hot sex involved

also

Robotic pets can serve a variety of different combat and non-combat roles.

in b4 sexbots

Dr Tomo

Learned
I wonder if they are going to allow it to be a sandbox similar to Eve as I would be more then willing to pay monthly for another true/actual sand box game.

funkadelik

Arcane
I wonder if they are going to allow it to be a sandbox similar to Eve as I would be more then willing to pay monthly for another true/actual sand box game.
From what little I browsed through it talked about leveling skills, player owned cities to which the owner of the city has to sell you plots of land in order to build your own domicile, etc. It sounds awesome, but from what I have seen from these indie developers I think I am going to put this one in my "they took off more than they could chew" category.

Dr Tomo

Learned
From what little I browsed through it talked about leveling skills, player owned cities to which the owner of the city has to sell you plots of land in order to build your own domicile, etc. It sounds awesome, but from what I have seen from these indie developers I think I am going to put this one in my "they took off more than they could chew" category.

So it is going to be a turd like Darkfall and also that other pvp fantasy mmo can't come to mind right now. There was a video of people playing it and showing all the bugs ridden in that game like fleas.

funkadelik

Arcane

So it is going to be a turd like Darkfall and also that other pvp fantasy mmo can't come to mind right now. There was a video of people playing it and showing all the bugs ridden in that game like fleas.
Mortal Online? Yeah that was a shitfest. Worst money I ever spent. Darkfall's major flaw was that it had zero skill caps, so everyone becomes the same thing and it's basically just an average shooter game after that. The Repopulation is atleast a sci-fi take on it. There was another SCIFI sandbox MMO that I cant remember the name of either but I played a free trial of it and it was total garbage and absolutely dead. Entropia Universe is just to much of a grind and requires too much real cash to just have a moderate amount of fun even though the game itself is quite awesome and has sweet art direction.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The company I work for was talking with the devs of this game behind the scenes about publishing. Ultimately they wanted too much money and they were too unprofessional and disorganized - they had very few plans on how to monetize it properly, no solid roadmap for the future, etc. Despite lofty goals the game is still pretty janky and clunky right now too. Still, I appreciate the effort, just have to wonder if it's going to be in perpetual alpha testing at this rate.

Dr Tomo

Learned

Mortal Online? Yeah that was a shitfest. Worst money I ever spent. Darkfall's major flaw was that it had zero skill caps, so everyone becomes the same thing and it's basically just an average shooter game after that. The Repopulation is atleast a sci-fi take on it. There was another SCIFI sandbox MMO that I cant remember the name of either but I played a free trial of it and it was total garbage and absolutely dead. Entropia Universe is just to much of a grind and requires too much real cash to just have a moderate amount of fun even though the game itself is quite awesome and has sweet art direction.

Yea mortal Online as that video of those guys playing the game made me want to bleach my eyes. Looked through many sand box mmo's and they are all half ass'ed.

The company I work for was talking with the devs of this game behind the scenes about publishing. Ultimately they wanted too much money and they were too unprofessional and disorganized - they had very few plans on how to monetize it properly, no solid roadmap for the future, etc. Despite lofty goals the game is still pretty janky and clunky right now too. Still, I appreciate the effort, just have to wonder if it's going to be in perpetual alpha testing at this rate.

Well that is disappointing to hear as I would like to replace Eve as it is a bore at this point thanks to CCP's retardo decisions to stagnate the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

A keen prediction, sir!

The Repopulation Sold to HeroEngine Creators

We've covered Above and Beyond Technologies' The Repopulation off and on during its development and crowd-funding campaigns, and now it appears that the sci-fi MMORPG has been sold to Idea Fabrik, the creators of HeroEngine (which the game was originally powered by). Based on the reviews for their Early Access spin-off Fragmented, people who funded the original game aren't too happy about everything that has taken place, but hopefully this transaction will prop the game to new heights:

Above and Beyond Technologies sells "The Repopulation" to Idea Fabrik

Idea Fabrik PLC acquires from Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc. the Science Fiction Sandbox MMORPG "The Repopulation", a craft and combat game, to bring it online in the first quarter 2017.

In response to the amazing support from fans, Idea Fabrik PLC is excited to announce the acquisition of "The Repopulation" game from Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc. and the relaunch of the title in the first quarter of 2017. Following the successful resolution of outstanding issues, all players of "The Repopulation" will be able to log in with the same account information as soon as the testing of the game is concluded.

"The Repopulation" - one of the most anticipated Science Fiction Sandbox MMORPGs in recent years - has grown to over 50,000 players over one year. The game has had two successful campaigns on Kickstarter; the first in June 2012 started with over 700 backers and then in December 2013 during the second campaign they drew in over 2,000 backers, growing their player base early on. Building on the Kickstarter success, "The Repopulation" became so popular that it closed four additional crowd funding campaigns through their own website. After being "Greenlit" in January 2014, the game was finally launched on Steam® in December 2014 and started its successful addition of new players.

Alex Shalash, Chairman and CEO of Idea Fabrik PLC., said: "We are incredibly excited to relaunch "The Repopulation" game to the public during the first quarter of 2017. Above and Beyond Technologies’ talented team has created one of the most awaited MMORPGs in recent years and we are looking forward to bringing this exciting player experience to game’s backers and players." Sarrene Grant, COO of IF Studios Inc., the operational arm of Idea Fabrik PLC, said: "Our first goal is to re-open game servers to the payers, and to begin the optimization and bug fixing as we continue to welcome feedback from players. Working alongside Above and Beyond Technologies the last few months we have gathered a lot of valuable information, however we will be looking to the community to help us spot areas they are looking for improvements in."

Joshua Halls, CEO of Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc., said: "We have made excellent progress with Idea Fabrik’s team to be able to bring back "The Repopulation" to players and will be working together with Idea Fabrik to ensure a smooth transition."​

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is some interesting insider information you made public there. I wonder how this company you work for would handle such an indiscretion.

francisbaud

Novice
"In response to the amazing support from fans, Idea Fabrik PLC is excited to announce the acquisition of "The Repopulation" game from Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc. and the relaunch of the title in the first quarter of 2017." Great news for the fans I guess. The amount of work required to switch from an engine (especially one like Hero Engine) to another one is huge and I doubt the studio behind Repopulation had the funding, manpower or interest in doing such thing. Surely they've mentioned that the process was well under way, but I doubt they had put that much time into it yet. They already have to operate their early access title and that means diverting resources that would have been required to recreate all the stuff on Unreal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom