Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Realms of Arkania Thread

Morkar Left

You cannot die horribly due to a wrong answer way.

In RoA 1 there are some nasty instant TPK when you make the wrong choice. Often you aren't even aware that immediate death is awaiting you. Watch out in dungeons when textboxes appear.

Wolfus

Arcane
Actually, if you give wrong answer to gryffin in RoA 1, they take one of your party members and you cannot even "ressurrect" him. That's worse than death.

Kahlis

Cipher
In RoA 1 there are some nasty instant TPK when you make the wrong choice. Often you aren't even aware that immediate death is awaiting you. Watch out in dungeons when textboxes appear.
You can also have a party member fall off a mountain during overland travel in RoA 2 (I think in the area to the northeast of Finsterkoppen) and that instantly deletes them from the party.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
God I hate this stupid game... And you people made me buy it. =/

On paper it sounds like a freaking dream come true- In reality it is a nightmare. IDK but the combat is TERRIBLE- Its like a bad version of a Tactics game with no real info very simplistic combat. Hell, I LIKE tactics games and thought it would be a plus and that people complaining about combat probably just didnt like tactical combat- Boy, I was fucking mistaken-

This game needs remade- The tech wasnt there to do what they attempted . I enjoy games from that era with might and magic (all of them but part 1) and Wizardry (all of them but 8) being among my favorite games- This game sounded like a dream come true, but...Damn...It isnt.

I broke down within a few minutes and pulled up a town map- The town is horrible, repetitive and if you accidentally go into someones house (which you will..Alot) you have to use the horrible interface to manually back out (I forget how you do it)- Even starting the fucking thing was a chore- Watch title scteen for 7 hours telling bland ass generic Orc story- Wait for START screen- 7 Hour Epic replays- Wait for START screen- 7 hour epic replays- say fuck it and hit the ESC key- The GOD DAMN START SCREEN pops up...And I am not even getting started bitching about the dungeons.

Fuck you guys. This game is terrible. Not even trying the second game... I hope this GOD DAMN thing at least had a cloth map when it was new.

Kahlis

Cipher
Star Trail fixes most of those problems. Also, if you got it off of gog, it includes the hintbooks with town maps. Very crucial for BoD where everything looks the same - I imagine everybody bought the hintbooks back then.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Star Trail fixes most of those problems. Also, if you got it off of gog, it includes the hintbooks with town maps. Very crucial for BoD where everything looks the same - I imagine everybody bought the hintbooks back then.
Yes, I got it off Gog. Told myself I wasnt going to use the hintbook- Three minutes into that town I broke that bad boy out.

I have never seen such a cool concept for a game. Was hoping to get "lost" in a massive and difficult game- But... Man, it as bad.

But you say the next game is better . I might have to give it try but idk... I still think if they took this game and remade it , it would be simply amazing. Made the combat system at least up to the standard of FF Tactics (in usability- not the game itself), fixed the GUI to at least 1970s standards and added to the "exploring/survival/random event" thing- It and did something with the graphics (not the quality even, the repetitiveness and limited tile sets) it would probably be the best game ever.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Forgot to give to party warm clothes for mountain trek. Party dies off hypothermia. Party member gets a scratch in swamp. Few days later dies off horrible illness.
Do you get a penalty on rolls for your character getting chafed because you didn't wipe his ass properly too?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
funny enough there is a disease for eating food without cutlery and another for walking in swamps (probably not unavoidable)

Gord

Arcane
As long as you limit traveling during autumn and winter and/or wear the right clothing during that time, you really don't get sick that often.
You can also do some offerings to the right gods (Peraine I think?) to reduce the probability of getting sick.
It gets really nasty when you get a sickness your heroes can't cure themselves either because they are missing the right herbs or it can be cured only by professional healers.
Both cases mean you have to find a town were one of the two is available and many healers are just charlatans.

Kahlis

Cipher
funny enough there is a disease for eating food without cutlery and another for walking in swamps (probably not unavoidable)
And elves can get some kind of "cockblocked ego-handjob" disease if they flee from battles instead of showing off.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
:necro:

Picked this up and prepping for a run of Star Trail. I have not played any game in this series but it looks charming. I have the GoG version, and had to make some fixes to get the best experience. I am listing them sere to save save bros, some time.

CD Music with English Text

The English GoG installer includes only MIDI music since GoG does not have the required license. The fix is to install both the English and German versions, then follow these instructions.

You end up playing the German version with English text and the enhanced CD music. An added bonus of using the German version with English text is there is no copy protection rigamaroll.

Here is a very helpful post on gog.com with fixes to issues with this arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The remake has a lot more content and is all around better. They are remaking Star Trail now. Please people, support the new ones so Shadows Over Riva will be remade. The new Blade of Destiny remake is fucking awesome and you can turn off diseases and needing winter coats, whatever, if you want.

It would be nice if in Star Trails they use the new edition of DSA and really put effort into making all the positive and negative traits in the game.

Severian Silk

I've only played the remake, and it is pretty boring and slow.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The original Star Trail is one of the best CRPG's ever made. The combat in the rebooted Blade of Destiny is just one huge clusterfuck.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Read the manual this evening. 1/2 the manual is about character creation and the character system.
:martini:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This whole CD version makes me wonder, if you happen to actually own a Roland Sound Canvas, I would assume the MIDI music would be just fine. Though I am curious what the CD music version contains.

Gord

Arcane
I guess that if you use something like BassMIDI and a good soundfont with Dosbox configured to use it, it should give quite nice results as well.
If CD Audio is working for you then that shouldn't be necessary, however.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The remake has a lot more content and is all around better. They are remaking Star Trail now. Please people, support the new ones so Shadows Over Riva will be remade. The new Blade of Destiny remake is fucking awesome and you can turn off diseases and needing winter coats, whatever, if you want.

It would be nice if in Star Trails they use the new edition of DSA and really put effort into making all the positive and negative traits in the game.
meh.ro10767-455x353.jpg

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The original Star Trail is one of the best CRPG's ever made. The combat in the rebooted Blade of Destiny is just one huge clusterfuck.

I agree Star TTrail is one of the best CRPGs ever made. But, you sound completely retarded when you say the combat in the remade BoD is any better or worse since it is literally exactly the same. Same edition of DSA, no difference at all. Of course, the newer edition of DSA (besides the newest which I am not familiar with) had the same core die mechanic of the over/under of the three governing attribute scores. The newer versions just added more choices, options, and abilities without touching the mechanics really. But, the version of DSA that the Realms of Arkania trilogy uses is still a million times better than choiceless crappy AD&D.

Leitz

Learned
Picked this up and prepping for a run of Star Trail. I have not played any game in this series but it looks charming. I have the GoG version, and had to make some fixes to get the best experience. I am listing them sere to save save bros, some time.

CD Music with English Text

The English GoG installer includes only MIDI music since GoG does not have the required license. The fix is to install both the English and German versions, then follow these instructions.

You end up playing the German version with English text and the enhanced CD music. An added bonus of using the German version with English text is there is no copy protection rigamaroll.

Here is a very helpful post on gog.com with fixes to issues with this arrangement.

Great trilogy; took me forever to play through all of them. I kinda recommend to play only Star Trail. Your characters will be pretty weak though.

I wonder if you will end up with the german voice acting. This particular scene always cracks me up. The guy just goes 11/10. (Spoiler alert!):

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
English voice acting and yeah based on my reading Star Trail is the one I will play. If I feel compelled to play another (or even finish), I will consider the others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom