Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Realms of Arkania Thread

Gord

Arcane
Disks? Newfags! I had to play games on my C64 with a Datasette.
Great if it got de-calibrated yet again and you didn't notice it until after the usual 5-10 minutes loading time.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't see anything weird about that number.
I would if it was pertaining to a tightly scripted storyfag game.

Great if it got de-calibrated yet again and you didn't notice it until after the usual 5-10 minutes loading time.
Ever managed to get that calibration screw fall out and ended up having to dismantle the tape drive to fish it out and put it back in?

Sweet, sweet memories.
:rage:

CorpseZeb

Learned

I'm sorry, in the context of tape loading times, C64 (as well as ZX or Amstrad) was for pussies. Atari was for a real tape masochists. C64 had a decent tape turbo systems from the beginning (practically), while Atari got one on the end of the system road (circa about... 88?). So... 20 minutes of loading of Jet Set Willy anyone (a poor game with wonderful music)?

Ps. Now... before we drown in the sentiment... and before Ancient Dudes who entering their games by typing hex numbers into some kind of monitor, appears...

Renegen

Arcane
Hilarious review, it starts with "Don't know about you, but I was never too fond of any RPGs up to the time of Beholder 2". Then it continues and says he has reached all of the third town, and that he's no graphic whore or anything, but Zelda looks way more advanced than first person D&D RPGs. Final grade, 67%.

I admit I was conditioned by this kind of thing.

One of the first things I would look for on the box was how many hours it promised. "Hundreds of hours" was quite common, with smaller games promising 80-100 hours. I still remember turning my nose up when CRPG's started touting 60 hours...and horrified/feeling ripped off when 40 hours entered the equation.

The internet with walkthroughs, etc, has destroyed all this anyway. Once you know exactly how to progress through a game, even such epics as Dark Heart of Uukrul, Death Lord and Fate: Gates of Dawn become much smaller than the many months worth of gaming required of old.

Duckard

Augur
It's (quite) instantly accessible!

Is he allowed to use that word? I thought it was Skyrim's word?

Also, I will admit to being a gameplay hours fag when I was younger.

Turjan

Arcane
I never played any of the Realms of Arkania games, but it took me about 150 hours for my first playthrough of M&M6. Then again, I move at a quite leisurely pace through RPGs and I could definitely shorten that somewhat, but what for?

Morkar Left

I play really slow, especially rpgs, but I don't think I spent more than 60 hours on a RoA game. I remember I played for three months till I beat BG1 and needed half a year till I finished BG2.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are people who brag how they spent several hundred hours on games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. I have a friend who "finished" Obliivon some 8 times and thats on Xbox without any mods.

joeydohn

Savant
There are people who brag how they spent several hundred hours on games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. I have a friend who "finished" Obliivon some 8 times and thats on Xbox without any mods.

Don't forget the Final Fantasy games where you could spend 12 hours grinding for exp (to beat the optional, completely overpowered bosses), items, rare spawns, etc. I'm more amazed at the Final Fantasy MMO where people aspies were fighting the same boss for tens of consecutive hours (a marathon, you know without sleep) in order to beat them.

hrose

Educated
Once you know exactly how to progress through a game, even such epics as Dark Heart of Uukrul, Death Lord and Fate: Gates of Dawn become much smaller than the many months worth of gaming required of old.

Oh, did you finish Fate Gates of Dawn? Because even with a walkthrough I think it's a feat of epic proportions.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Don't forget the Final Fantasy games where you could spend 12 hours grinding for exp (to beat the optional, completely overpowered bosses), items, rare spawns, etc. I'm more amazed at the Final Fantasy MMO where people aspies were fighting the same boss for tens of consecutive hours (a marathon, you know without sleep) in order to beat them.

Gran Turismo has 24 hour race in real time, it seems that console players have shitty choice of games so they need to make the best of what they got.

Wolfus

Arcane
When I played Ambermoon for a first time it took me more than two months of inensive playing. No internet or paper walkthroughs, of course...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hell, I didn't even manage to finish Ambermoon on my own. I quit once you got to the planets because I must have gotten stuck somewhere.
Amberstar, however, was also quite a piece of work! Especially with no manual. It's fun learning to read the in-game alphabet. Reminded me of learning the Ultima runes as a kid. (Again, no manual then.)

I did beat BG 2 in two intense months though- but I was a kid then and on Christmas holidays - my gamefile was 130 hours, as I tried to finish and find every single quest.

I finished the game at least another four, five or six times, but all those together can't have taken much longer than my first foray.

RoA took me ~35 hours - but RoA 2 took me far, far longer. There are a lot of "fuck you" moments in RoA 2.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Gran Turismo has 24 hour race in real time, it seems that console players have shitty choice of games so they need to make the best of what they got.

How does that even work ? Can you save midrace ?

Not to brag, but PC gamers did it first : we had the 500 miles <3

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

Dont thinks so. My friend told me about it, he tried to finish it between work while putting the game on pause. While on hour 16 his wife got pissed and unplugged the playstation.

hrose

Educated
I did beat BG 2 in two intense months though- but I was a kid then and on Christmas holidays - my gamefile was 130 hours, as I tried to finish and find every single quest.

I finished the game at least another four, five or six times, but all those together can't have taken much longer than my first foray.

Then you should do as I did: make an epic install of BG1+expansion and BG2+expansion + boatload of patches, though BG Trilogy and play the whole thing as one humongous game ;)

I wonder if we could make a RPG database with an average of play-through hours. Could be useful.

Once you know exactly how to progress through a game, even such epics as Dark Heart of Uukrul, Death Lord and Fate: Gates of Dawn become much smaller than the many months worth of gaming required of old.

Oh, did you finish Fate Gates of Dawn? Because even with a walkthrough I think it's a feat of epic proportions.

Indeed I did. One of my favourite RPG experiences.

Renegen

Arcane

Dont thinks so. My friend told me about it, he tried to finish it between work while putting the game on pause. While on hour 16 his wife got pissed and unplugged the playstation.
Worst part is that there are many stories of people frying their PS2 doing those races. Just like in GT3, the best prizes were reserved for the most insane grinding so those races are very tempting. But not at the risk of destroying your PS2. There's also an auto racer, it sucks but maybe it's good for a few hours if you have a 100 lap lead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What is the difference between the CD version and the Floppy version (on GOG)? Is it JUST the music?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't see anything weird about that number.
I would if it was pertaining to a tightly scripted storyfag game.

Ever managed to get that calibration screw fall out and ended up having to dismantle the tape drive to fish it out and put it back in?

Sweet, sweet memories.
:rage:

Yes, fuck YES!!!! I was one of the crazed few that had an Amstrad rather than getting a C64 and though I had a disk drive, all the best games were on fucking tape for which I couldn't find an official Amstrad tape deck so had to make do with the most fiddly piece of crap ever invented. Fuck altering the calibration then not breathing or moving for 10-15 minutes for the game to almost load(remember how the loading screen would fill in a line at a time?) then get fucking stuck at 90% or something and having to rewind, alter the calibration, then go again?

Oh ho ho what FFFUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!

As for length, well I finished Arcania Fall of Setariff on the Gothic difficulty in 3.5 hours and it felt like it was 1000! No one can top that....:M

Morkar Left

What is the difference between the CD version and the Floppy version (on GOG)? Is it JUST the music?

For RoA 1 BoD the interface is polished, too plus some bugfixing and some new bugs as well (but not as much). For ST I can't remember and I never played the third one (but soon...).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't bother getting the CD version for RoA 2 from GoG; it's the English-language one. I suggest you learn German and get the 2 CD version instead, so you can enjoy all the music, not just some.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom