Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Redlands

Arcane
I don't know why you guys are expecting better from Telltale.

They're working on a huge number of IPs at the moment. I can understand taking on the work for more money, but it's going to stress out their staff and their output is going to suffer.

Almost all of their games have not been their own IP. There's maybe one or two titles that aren't at least partially from other people's creations, and if they're not then that's a problem. What happens if they run out of licenses other companies are willing to give them? Especially if they continue to release games supposedly at the level of this Jurassic Park game: a string of mediocre games may still bring in some offers, but when people stop buying them they'll be screwed.

And that's not even getting started on the puzzles. Telltale seem to be following along with the inevitable trend of LucasArts/Sierra's battle: games with easy puzzles and no consequence for your actions. Only they're nowhere near as talented as either LucasArts or Sierra, and don't seem to want to extend themselves aside from in the wrong direction of easier and easier games and shitty quick-time movies.

Do not look forward to their King's Quest games, despite what they've said they'll be doing with it.

As a note: Cognition has received all of its funding. I certainly hope Phoenix do better with their own IP; at least it seems to match the "emo" style they were going for in The Silver Lining a fuckload better than should be in a King's Quest game.

Black Cat

Magister
The Jurasic Park game is really, really bad. Not only are the few, very few, puzzles there is in the game so easy as to be retarded, but every single character acts like an idiot, and most of them get killed in ways so stupid they seem to be trying really hard to be killed. However, the dinosaurs are so very nerfed even then it takes them a lot of effort to kill them. Remember those super fast T-Rexes? Those in the game can't outrun an automated car that's traveling in the jungle at let's take a tour, see some sights, and take photographs speed. Most of us would walk faster than that shit rolls. In high heels.

And then a guy fights, and defeats, a velociraptor.

In melee combat.

Armed with nothing but a knife.

The only thing it lacked was a rainbow colored trolololol! sign appearing and blinking furiously as a slow mo replay of the kill played.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Koplin

Educated
New trailer up for STASIS....

Says the release is in 2012, but Im assuming its probably for the end of 2012.

Trailer is very 'ALIENS' and like the more recent PROMETHEUS. Not a bad thing! The sound design is super 80's.
I like that if you listen closely, you can hear something screaming (definitely animal...not human). Has there been any info on the game story involving aliens? Or non-human things?

Either way, ZOMFG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSe...xt=C3e37b44UDOEgsToPDskI5XAkRb7ADQWirzRlLQ2A3

And I still cant believe its one fucking dude. Some people just have WAY to much talent!

TripJack

Hedonist
the third of the video that actually shows gameplay looks pretty neat

i wonder if it will ever be finished

Redlands

Arcane
Adventuregamers.com posted up their top 100 adventure games here, assuming such a thing counts as news.

I think a warning may be in order. The list ranks Maniac Mansion, King's Quest 1 (King's Quest 3 is unlisted, btw), Gemini Rue, Quest for Glory 2 and the Colonel's Bequest below Pepper's Adventure in Time. It rates Loom and the ENTIRE Infocom collection below Sam & Max: Season 2, which is also ranked higher than the games I listed before. It ranks Heavy Rain above Sam & Max Hit the Road, Bad Mojo and Sanitarium. It classifies Professor Layton and the Portal games as adventure games.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Adventuregamers.com posted up their top 100 adventure games here, assuming such a thing counts as news.

I think a warning may be in order. The list ranks Maniac Mansion, King's Quest 1 (King's Quest 3 is unlisted, btw), Gemini Rue, Quest for Glory 2 and the Colonel's Bequest below Pepper's Adventure in Time. It rates Loom and the ENTIRE Infocom collection below Sam & Max: Season 2, which is also ranked higher than the games I listed before. It ranks Heavy Rain above Sam & Max Hit the Road, Bad Mojo and Sanitarium. It classifies Professor Layton and the Portal games as adventure games.

Wow, I won't even bother reading that list, that's so much fucking :decline: to bear with. And here I thought that adventure gamers were a more monocle crowd, given the low amount of adventure games these days.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
codextext.png

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
You tell me which one is better, my time-budget for gaming is too tight.

Too bad the art seems terrible in both games, they should have kept a lower res to evoke graphic nostalgia.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

MMXI

Arcane
Stopped reading the article about there. Do I really want to continue?
All RPS writers have odd taste in adventure games. I remember John Walker calling Monkey Island crap.

And the Might and Magic series.

Wizardry said:
John Walker said:
gritz said:
Please start making regular Might and Magic games again, thanks.
Really?

But they were… awful.
Games (and series) that the Might and Magic series is better than:

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Gothic
Two Worlds
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
Icewind Dale
Baldur’s Gate
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights
Drakensang
Knights of the Old Republic
Alpha Protocol
Deus Ex

And many more. Games (and series) that are definitely superior to the Might and Magic series:

Wizardry

Games (and series) that John Walker likes that are superior to the Might and Magic series:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1417

Yes, the Readers’ Choice poll returns once again, giving each game another chance to shine, this time in the popular vote rather than the opinion of snobb… I mean honest, thoughtful, passionate critics likes ourselves.

Voting will end on Monday, February 13th, and winners will be unveiled in our final Aggie Awards presentation over the course of three days, beginning February 15th. It may not be your civic duty to vote this time, but a single ballot really can make a difference! Besides, if you don’t vote, you haven’t earned the right to gripe if your faves don’t come out on top.

kaizoku

Arcane
Given all the buzz and viral status of Double Fine using kickstarter discussed http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...from-double-fine-funded-by-kickstarter.69252/ I got curious and decided to do a quick check on adventure games whose project has been fully funded in kickstart and will hopefully see the light of day.
So I'm listing here the ones I found interesting.
Keep in mind that all of this is work in progress and it will be ages until they fully materialize.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...etro-styled-adventure-game-contest-e?ref=card
http://xiigames.com/resonance/ (some videos here)
Something interesting about this game is that it was backed at the end of 2009 and he expected to release it 2010. It's 2012 now and he finally got back on it saying he expects to release it 2012. However, to be fair, he only asked for 150$ and has a full time job. In any case in 2009 he had already shown a real prototype, so it's not vapor.
Shows potential.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-a-new-cinematic-sci-fi-adventure-g?ref=card
Looks interesting. But I think it will focus on the exploration side instead of puzzle solving.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postudios/cognition-an-erica-reed-thriller?ref=card
Already mentioned here before.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zarf/hadean-lands-interactive-fiction-for-the-iphone?ref=card
Interactive fiction.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wileywiggins/thunderbeam-for-the-ipad?ref=card
vimeo.com/23460730
Little more than a concept so far. Could be fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom