Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Apr 6, 2011.

1. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It isn't just watching the train wreck in slow motion, it's seeing the antecedent chain of causality of the accident.

^ Top  
  2. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

Here are my impressions of indie adventure Rakuen:

Rakuen is an 8 hour or so rpgmaker style adventure developed by Laura Shigihara, best known for composing for Plants vs Zombies and To The Moon, the latter of which is what this game resembles most. The player takes the sick kid protagonist and his mom on a magical realism quest to a fairytale world full of colorful cartoon characters, while trying to resolve the issues of his hospital neighbors and their parallel world counterparts. Along the way, you explore dreamscapes and solve various puzzles (nothing too advanced), and if you're so inclined, find collectibles. As expected, the art and music are very well done, way above the standard rpgmaker fare. The writing succeeds at its sentimental melodrama, though some bits felt a bit heavy-handed, and the story is fairly straightforward/conventional fare, don't expect an Undertale surprise or anything. All things considered it was pretty charming, though I can't help but feel like I'm not really part of its target audience.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Unkillable Cat Damnit Moon-Moon! Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

[​IMG]

This is Falda. According to the banner image below, she's supposed to be Icelandic.

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Falda, Felix, The Student, Vitaly, Katsu

She could pass off as 1970s Scandinavian, but not Icelandic, because of three reasons:

# Icelandic women rarely had such hairstyles.
    # Icelandic women rarely dressed like she does.
    # Falda isn't an Icelandic name!

Except for the slight possibility that her name refers to her being someone else than she claims to be, it's just made-up baloney. A game that concerns itself so much with languages and the cultures they come from should pay more attention to details like these.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. jfrisby Learned

jfrisby
    Parrots:
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AetherVagrant Learned Patron

AetherVagrant
    Parrots:
    Damn I used to have the mousepad that this came with. Got it from a friend in 7th grade whose mom wouldnt let him have the game so I had to "stash" the feelies at my place and make him some installation disks titled QFG or some other shit. The story is one of my all-time favorites to the point where I wrote a fanfic sequel that got me disqualified from a local writing competition for violating their rules on violence and sexual assault.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shadowknightsstudio/the-lighthouse-2

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. HoboForEternity Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    interesting

^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Not really an adventure game - basically, each day you can pick one action, and you have to do them in a right sequence to get the "good" ending. There was a series of flash games with similar mechanics some years ago - Cube World, CubeRPG etc. - but those were slightly more complex as each action changed the state of the world, giving you some clues as to their right order. Here it's just trial and error, more or less.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/how-maniac-mansions-verb-object-interface-revolutionised-adventure-games/

^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    The interface was not only revolutionary but Legendary, you might say.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)