Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Rageaholic

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've watched 3 videos. I haven't really disagreed with the guy, but honestly he's a douche. You can make the same arguments without being a cocksucker.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Extremely original and helpful rapid pronunciation shtick + heavy/speed metal music + long wavy hair, metal t-shirts, posing with metal posters in the background and eye make-up to boot despite looking like he turned 16 some time ago + constant stream of absolutely hilarious meme images + shit gaming taste, pretending to be connoisseur cause he likes a few titles made around 2000. I give this guy a solid :4/5:, not pseudo-intellectual enough for a 5, but I'm sure he'll get there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I've watched 3 videos. I haven't really disagreed with the guy, but honestly he's a douche. You can make the same arguments without being a cocksucker.

I think he uses that particular persona to justify being half-way critical of modern games, among other things. And he gets enough slack from modern "gamers" as it is. Imagine a Codexer bothering doing those type of reviews. Its like there's an unwritten rule you can't be a complete cynical fuck about the state of the industry, ever.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyone who defends Invisible War has problems. Even if you overlook the design issues (universal ammo, shoebox levels, lack of stats), it's also a glitchy, buggy, janky game that looks awful, is mostly poorly written, has terrible voice acting, broken AI, and the feel of the weapons is the worst I've ever seen in any game that's labeled itself a shooter (yes, even the original Deus Ex kicks the shit out of it).

I understand the desire to like Invisible War - yeah, I played through the whole thing too and it does have some redeeming areas, i.e. Trier kinda reminded me of Paris at times, soundtrack was indeed very good - but I think it has way too many flaws to just handwave away. It's like Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Resident Evil 5, or any other major piece of decline from the last few years... yeah, it's not like every single thing about those games is terrible, but I don't see how that makes enduring all the awfulness worthwhile. With games with that many issues, at a certain point you stop being a "reviewer" and start being an apologist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone who defends Invisible War has problems. Even if you overlook the design issues (universal ammo, shoebox levels, lack of stats), it's also a glitchy, buggy, janky game that looks awful, is mostly poorly written, has terrible voice acting, broken AI, and the feel of the weapons is the worst I've ever seen in any game that's labeled itself a shooter (yes, even the original Deus Ex kicks the shit out of it).

I understand the desire to like Invisible War - yeah, I played through the whole thing too and it does have some redeeming areas, i.e. Trier kinda reminded me of Paris at times - but I think it has way too many flaws to just handwave away. It's like Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Resident Evil 5, or any other major piece of decline from the last few years... yeah, it's not like every single thing about those games is terrible, but I don't see how that makes enduring all the awfulness worthwhile. At a certain point you stop being a "reviewer" and start being an apologist.

He talks like somebody who was just so hungry for an "RPG/shooter" experience back in the mid-2000's that he was willing to overlook any flaw. "It belongs to a genre I like, therefore it is good."

thesoup

Arcane
IW is better in some areas than HR, honestly. At least it had builds. It's a way weaker game overall and the finest example of consoles ruining what could have otherwise been a great game.
I was merely 15 when it came out and was disappointed by it. It was my most anticipated game that year, as Deus Ex was my favorite game (and still is). I certainly didn't hate it as much as other people, but it left a bitter taste. Don't know what would happen if I played it today, though. I would probably rage and set someone's cat on fire.

Also, Rageaholic likes Fallout 3 quite a bit.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Saw two videos. Glowing praise of Invissible War and Oblivion.

yeah...

EDIT: And DX:HR too. Yeah, fuck that.

DE:HR was a great game. You faggots are faggots.

I mean goddamn it was really close to Deus Ex.

At least as close as you are going to get in this day and age of AAA gaming.

MetalCraze

Arcane
it was really close to Deus Ex.

lol

It was still a great game

Considering that you never played first two DX - sure.

Halo is also a great shooter if you never played shooters.

Even the lead designer of HR himself called DX1 boring and slow and talked about how they want to take HR into an awesome direction and here you talk about them being really close. Hardcore newfags.

Angthoron

Arcane
Infinitron, what do you believe made Human Revolution better than Invisible War?

Mainly two things:

1) No closet-sized maps with insane loading times
2) Non-derp characters, writing and atmosphere
If I remember right, IW was also bashed on by the fans of the original for some continuity fuck-ups and obviously for choosing one particular ending scenario of DX to set the world of IW, thus pretty much fucking over anyone that chose a different ending. A Mass Effect prototype if you will.

...Hey, this means that BioWare can say they've been inspired by the Deus Ex series.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I remember right, IW was also bashed on by the fans of the original for some continuity fuck-ups and obviously for choosing one particular ending scenario of DX to set the world of IW, thus pretty much fucking over anyone that chose a different ending. A Mass Effect prototype if you will.

...Hey, this means that BioWare can say they've been inspired by the Deus Ex series.

Actually, they tried to combine all three endings of DX. Tthe result was... underwhelming. "So, JC Denton ascended and became Helios - but then went into a coma LOLOLOLOL"

Angthoron

Arcane

Actually, they tried to combine all three endings of DX. Tthe result was... underwhelming. "So, JC Denton ascended and became Helios - but then went into a coma LOLOLOLOL"
Oh yeah, that's right. Oh well, I bought IW for less than three potato's worth on some Steam sale, might as well take a look at last.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker, what do you believe made Human Revolution inferior to Invisible War?

It's not that much more inferior, but it is inferior. The story makes no sense, and it has little to do with Deus Ex. The gameplay is as bad as IW's - what has been improved upon by removing terrible mechanics like universal ammo has been made much, much worse by shitty, popamole (well, it applies) covers-shooting action. Low-health, health-regen, as we know and fucking detest. In the span of a two minute conversation with intelligent people who have been planning shit for 10 or more years, you can talk them out of killing the world (something outrageously stupid anyway). All the philosopy of "how do we create a better government?" has been left behind for a non-contextual discussion that can't figure out whether it wants to be X-Men (ARE AUGMENTS OK) or be bigger in scope and discuss human transcendence. Ultimately it discusses none of these.

The upgrades are mostly shit (most upgrades instead of letting you solve stuff creatively let's you bypass all the areas marked THIS CAN BE BYPASSED WITH THIS UPGRADE). Stealth is not a question of holding your breath and finding good paths for hiding, it's playing a mini-game where you find THE path for hiding and press the "glue"-button when you're in trouble... the rare times they let you stealth "unglued" anyway. The boss-battles are crap, of course. Hacking 9 million computers for possible, scrummy loot and MAYBE 1/50 times finding an actually interesting e-mail was even more tedious than doing everything on each map for XP (because why not fix what isn't broken with objective-based XP).

Those that say the game was good mostly do so because it's much better than many modern shooters which are absolute crap. But that doesn't make it any less worse than the original and IW.

Hell, even Mass Effect is better - that game isn't pretentious at least. It's just a sci-fi where you collar grab people in space and throw them out of windows for arbitrary reasons, and the bad shooter sections are otherwith quickly. HR drags out its fuck-suck story and terrible gameplay for hours upon hours upon hours...

I finish almost all games I start, but after talking to the old scientist on the oil-rig, I haven't look back on HR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom