Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Quest, a single character first person turn-based RPG, now available on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Redshift; The Quest

The Quest is a grid-based first person RPG developed by Redshift, a two-man indie developer from Hungary. Unlike most RPGs of that description, it's a single character game, which has led it to be described by some as a "turn-based Daggerfall". The Quest has actually been around on mobile platforms since 2006, with an obscure PC release in 2007, but it really broke out when it was released on iOS in 2009. Even on this mobile-phobic forum, it's earned a small but highly enthusiastic fanbase.

Now the rest of can discover what the big deal is, because as of today The Quest is available on Steam, in a new version featuring enhanced graphics and an overhauled user interface. Here's its trailer and description:

The Quest is a beautifully hand-drawn open world role playing game with old school grid-based movement and turn based combat. In the kingdom of Monares trouble is brewing. The governor of Freymore is missing and the island is in tumult. The mages all prophesy a dark shadow looming over the safety of the kingdom. As an Agent of the king, it's your job to find out what is happening and avert any danger.

Choose from five customizable races and an array of skills, weapons, armor and enchantments, and explore a huge world of four cities and a wilderness of mountains, caves, lakes and forests – full of mystery, magic and intriguing challenges. Meet the many inhabitants, each with its own agenda and attitude towards your character. Some will be helpful, some greedy or lascivious or just plain mean. You will have many choices, including some that may place you against the law, along your way to the dramatic ending of your own choosing.

Key Features:
  • Pursue a long and dramatic main story and solve many optional side quests.
  • Create a highly customizable character and cast dazzling spells, enchant powerful items, concoct potent potions and persuade people to further your goals.
  • Discover an open world with interesting locales, day/night cycle, weather, fascinating people, dangerous creatures, readable books, pick-able locks, repairable items, houses that can be broken into, dungeons, traps and much more.
  • Play an absorbing card game with three different decks, accessible at the inns.

The Quest will cost you $15, with a 15% launch discount until next week. The developers plan to release the game's official expansion pack on Steam as well, but further third-party expansion releases depend on how well it does.

Drowed

Arcane
Doesn't looks like my kind of game, but well, I might buy it someday. But if this is a good M&M clone, maybe it's worth it.

The sad thing is that with the dollar's rise, even simple games are getting kinda expensive here. So, the idea of buying it to support the dev ends up not being such a "inexpensive" decision.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Anyone else find the weapon/shield placement and size kinda ridiculous? That character must have the body of a sumo fighter with toddler-sized arms or something.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone else find the weapon/shield placement and size kinda ridiculous? That character must have the body of a sumo fighter with toddler-sized arms or something.

Yeah, should have 1/3 of the screen occluded by a humongous weapon, like in a console FPS. When I carry my weapons I like to put them right in front of my face to remind me what I'm holding, just in case.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Weapon and shield sizes are perfect. They should not occlude the main view.

Namutree

Savant
Seems kinda like Daggerfall. I'll probably give it a try in January.

Does anyone know if you can import your own face portrait?

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

Yeah, should have 1/3 of the screen occluded by a humongous weapon, like in a console FPS. When I carry my weapons I like to put them right in front of my face to remind me what I'm holding, just in case.

Why jump to the other extreme right away? Just make them reasonable size...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks really charming, sort of like a turn based Daggerfall and thankfuly without the tile based dance of Grimrock
Would support of it was available on gog

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Man it could have been M&M VI-2

M&M IV, since it is tile-based. And yeah, a party would have been probably more fun, but it looks pretty good.

Does anyone know how many hours of gameplay it has?

V_K

Arcane
So far (having solved most of the quests in the first town and preparing to enter the second) I don't really get this "better than anything tes" vibe. Sure, the structure of some (many) quests is rather interesting, but I haven't found a lot of lore to read, and what I've found doesn't connect much with the level design. Mechanically, even though it's turn-based, it also seems more simplistic than Morrowind: there's no spellmaking (and the variety of effects is rather limited), no real stealth (the eponimous skill is used for thieving only) and I can't imagine how the combat is supposed to work for warriors other than by mindless whacking.

catfood

AGAIN
So far (having solved most of the quests in the first town and preparing to enter the second) I don't really get this "better than anything tes" vibe. Sure, the structure of some (many) quests is rather interesting, but I haven't found a lot of lore to read, and what I've found doesn't connect much with the level design. Mechanically, even though it's turn-based, it also seems more simplistic than Morrowind: there's no spellmaking (and the variety of effects is rather limited), no real stealth (the eponimous skill is used for thieving only) and I can't imagine how the combat is supposed to work for warriors other than by mindless whacking.
So basically turn based Arena. Good enough for me.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I thoroughly enjoyed the demo on IOS. This has been refined on IOS for years now (yes originated as a mobile RPG). They have released many patches and expansions for it and I find the experience quite polished (on IOS) as a result of so much iteration.

Hidden gem indeed as I had never heard of it (or would take a mobile RPG seriously) until a couple of months ago. Nice surprise of a game with a lot of the right kinds of touches.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Played the living shit out of the original version. Kinda dislike the new look of the game, but that's just me.
According to the forums, they planned to release the original version as a bonus to the Steam version, but I might be misremembering things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom