Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Politics of Vailians

so any new failings of PE2 cropped up that I am unaware of?
Neutered Multiclassing, no xp for combat, prosperous MOBA paced rtwp and librul ideologies (like civilized black italians for example) aside that is.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
This would be pushing librul agenda, as you say, if there were not only black vailians. Right now, it seems to me that Vailia is the opposite of a multicultural civilization. Needless to remind the vailian dude who treats locals like shit in Twin Elms.
Don't be silly.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it seems like any time someone here doesn't like something or disagrees with it they just think it's an "agenda" of some sort

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honest take: Making the hot-blooded, sassy, stylish, and linguistically grandiloquent race of your fantasy setting black actually matches very well with longstanding American ethnic stereotypes, and for that reason doesn't come across as some perverse SJW innovation

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Infinitron

was that the most veiled "we waz kangs" joke ever made? masterful if so, but true regardless. 10/10 as it works any way you choose to read it.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Honest take: Making the hot-blooded, sassy, stylish, and linguistically grandiloquent race of your fantasy setting black actually matches very well with longstanding American ethnic stereotypes, and for that reason doesn't come across as some perverse SJW innovation

African-Americans are definitely not what comes to my mind first when I see Vailians. Even considering their 20th century stereotypes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron

was that the most veiled "we waz kangs" joke ever made? masterful if so, but true regardless. 10/10 as it works any way you choose to read it.

More like "We Waz Elite New Orleans Creoles"

4e31a1761ec1708953aacdf1c7766349.jpg
1920px-Brunias_cropped_detail.jpg

The Vailians are similar to US stereotypes of the traditional African-American upper class, and also upper class Caribbean blacks, with their (to American eyes) more sophisticated Latin-influenced culture.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"American" is a misnomer here, in that it's correct these were in Americas, but not in United States which is what I used African-American to. United States did not have these, only French colonies and Spanish colonies.

and librul ideologies (like civilized black italians for example)

That was in PoE1, so it hardly counts as "new". You need to do your background reading first before making these edgy comments.
Hence the "aside". Of the 4 known flaws, 3 of which are a legacy of P:E and will not be fixed, but are still deeply rooted flaws that should be mandatorily mentioned.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Race mixing in rpgs is pretty stupid in my opinion. It seems very forced and illogical,good example is Skyrim. You are playing in the mountains yet good amount nords are niggers... the fuck. How the fuck a bunch of nords that lived in the mountain for a hundreds of years became black?! It feels like going to Hammerfell and see it populated by white Redguards. I am ok if they all have different cultures and nations,yet thy are present in another nation and culture because they are merchants,adventurers,travelers or some other reason. It is really retarded to just splash some random skin colour and call it diverse. Skin colour is not something that you throw a dice during birth and everyone is ok with it as if it is normal. It is disrespectful to all the races involved,and gives a kick to the balls of immersion.

Prime Junta

Race/ethnicity/culture can be done badly or well, just like anywhere else. DA: Inquisition does it badly: it's just a random rainbow coalition occasionally giving some really uncomfortable unintended consequences, like the pro-police-violence black lady Vivienne.

Pillars IMO does it rather well. Cultures cut across fantasy-racial lines (e.g. the elven-human Aedyran culture with its peculiar institutions, or the orlan-human Glanfathans, etc.), and there is a correlation between ethnicity and culture but it's not 100% categorical. Most Vailians are black humans but not all black humans are Vailians and not all Vailians are black or human. Same for Rauatai and aumaua and what have you.

(That shit about race mixing is edgelord bullshit ofc. Races have always mixed. Empires in particular were giant melting-pots, the Romans for example recruited all over the Empire and then moved the legions all the way across the empire so they would lose any local power base and connections they might have and become more dependent on the central power and therefore more loyal. Roman Germania and Britain were full of Syrians, Africans, Iberians, and what have you.)

polo

Magister
I don't want no niggers in my games! I want my rpgs realistic, no fantasy shit, maybe some elves, orcs, dragons, but niggers? That's just silly.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Race/ethnicity/culture can be done badly or well, just like anywhere else. DA: Inquisition does it badly: it's just a random rainbow coalition occasionally giving some really uncomfortable unintended consequences, like the pro-police-violence black lady Vivienne.

Pillars IMO does it rather well. Cultures cut across fantasy-racial lines (e.g. the elven-human Aedyran culture with its peculiar institutions, or the orlan-human Glanfathans, etc.), and there is a correlation between ethnicity and culture but it's not 100% categorical. Most Vailians are black humans but not all black humans are Vailians and not all Vailians are black or human. Same for Rauatai and aumaua and what have you.

(That shit about race mixing is edgelord bullshit ofc. Races have always mixed. Empires in particular were giant melting-pots, the Romans for example recruited all over the Empire and then moved the legions all the way across the empire so they would lose any local power base and connections they might have and become more dependent on the central power and therefore more loyal. Roman Germania and Britain were full of Syrians, Africans, Iberians, and what have you.)
I am on the fence with this one. I do appreciate that no single race is completely homogeneous in terms of outlook/culture (mountain dwarves vs. Tundra dwarves, not all elves are tree hippies, etc.). At the same time, we only caught glimpses of the Valians, Aedyr, Rautians, and Readceras. The closest we got to "culture" is the Dyrwood, which was inconsistent, and the eastern Tribes, which were not handled that well in my opinion.

I felt the Aumaua village in the PoE2 beta did a better job showcasing the culture than any of the towns in PoE1. There was an internal consistency that I did not find in PoE1.

Edit: To refine my point further, I thought the focus was less on immersion into the Dyrwood and more so on disparate regional problems. In Defiance Bay, it was the faction war with animancy sprinkled in. In Dyrwood village it was the cult/class struggle subplot from nowhere. In the introductory village, it was the local tyrant, whereas in Twin Elms it was fucking nothing. Every location was practically independent of the other.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

PoE didn't do very good job about building the cultures,most of it was some npc companion saying things about it. They didn't show much culture outside of the elf village,still the expansion did do a good job of representing the local culture. In the main game most settlements were pretty basic in that aspect.

I don't mind seeing a different person from time to time,or seeing a culture or empire entirely made by black people. But seeing a race mixed place is idiotic. People have tribal mentality,that is why we see ghettos in modern day cities.

The history thing that you wrote is pretty much bullshit mate. Race mixing and not caring about race are two very different thing. Most Greeks and Romans didn't care about race bud did care about citizenship. All the people that were not born in Rome were second class Foederati or even third class citizen anyone else. Romans may have not cared about race but were not like "Here fuck my daughter nigger,you are such a nice chap." Black people were very rear in the Roman empire,mostly trader or travellers Ethiopia,Nubia and some tribes around north Africa. Also Legions were made by Roman citizen,they are different that the Auxiliaries that you are talking about. They were regiments recruited by the local tribe/tribes to aid the Legions and to protect the province. Do you have any idea how hard it is to move a few thousand people from Syria to Birtania,let alone to do it for all the auxiliaries? Also all the regions that you talked about were populated by white people. Most of the Mare Internum was colonised by Greeks,including Iberia and North Africa. Even Carthage was a city build by the Troy's refugee. During the ancient times races were separate unlike modern day,there were no black ghettos in Rome or white ghettos in Meroe. Such people were individuals and that is why they were met as individuals and not based on their race. Also i don't quite get the term "melting-pot",if you by it you mean a melting of different cultures in to one,then that is bullshit. There is no empire in the world managed to achieve such a feat,muslim caliphates came closest to achieving this,mainly by eradication and enslavement. Now if you mean place where bunch different cultures came together and made a big mess,then kind of agree. Rome was very strict about its citizen laws and therefore outside cultures didn't have much of an impact on the local one. That was until "The Edict of Caracalla" from 212th.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who cares who these people fuck and have children with, what they eat and what their daily routine is? Unless they have frequent inter-racial orgies, have to fight bug monsters to have access to food and have extremely strict laws regarding reproduction, I simply don't care. There are more interesting things about culture than that and focusing on trivialities that would only be of interest to ethnoanthropologists is a waste of words and time.

Prime Junta

(1) I was thinking about PoE worldbuilding. It is true that the way it was presented in-game leaves a lot to be desired.
(2) The second part is worse than wrong, it's bullshit -- a mix of plain wrong, cherry-picking, shifting the goalposts, pure mythology, and strawmanning that it'd take way longer to pick apart than I have the energy for RN. (Carthage built by Trojan refugees? You're taking the Aeneid at face value as a historical source??? Seriously WT everloving F?)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Who cares who these people fuck and have children with, what they eat and what their daily routine is? Unless they have frequent inter-racial orgies, have to fight bug monsters to have access to food and have extremely strict laws regarding reproduction, I simply don't care. There are more interesting things about culture than that and focusing on trivialities that would only be of interest to ethnoanthropologists is a waste of words and time.
Then simply stop writing about it and write about things that you care about. Pointing about what you don't care about and that other people should not care about is kind of.....

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
(1) I was thinking about PoE worldbuilding. It is true that the way it was presented in-game leaves a lot to be desired.
(2) The second part is worse than wrong, it's bullshit -- a mix of plain wrong, cherry-picking, shifting the goalposts, pure mythology, and strawmanning that it'd take way longer to pick apart than I have the energy for RN. (Carthage built by Trojan refugees? You're taking the Aeneid at face value as a historical source??? Seriously WT everloving F?)
And what was wrong? The Roman history stretches more than 1700 years,of course there are differences that you can find.

Trashos

Arcane
Citation needed?! Seriously? Trump, Brexit, rise of the right wing in Europe. Also see any contract one has to sign when he is applying for EU funding (ie, you actually have to sign that you accept certain cultural/political agendas). I haven't been in the States for a while now, but I expect it should be the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom