Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The official Double Fine thread (brought to you by J_C)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If indie is the future and AAA publishers are going to collapse any day now how come all indie developers except Notch act like they're dead broke all the time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually I'm quite surprised. Even I (the resident DF fanboy) saw Massive Chalice's kickstarter as a cashgrab, and never got interested in the updates. The updates always consist of teamstreams, which I never watched, because the first ones were boring. But this latest one is pretty darn good. They play the current build of the game a lot, which Obsidian doesn't do at all, and Inxile only does rarely. And I'm happy that the game shapes up really nicely.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It still boggles my mind how Schaefer got away with releasing a shitty telltale ripoff.

Turjan

Arcane
And Amnesia Fortnight is nearing its end. Has it been 14 days already? Time is flying...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And Amnesia Fortnight is nearing its end. Has it been 14 days already? Time is flying...
Amensia Fortnight already ended a week ago. :D
Well, the counter still has one day to go, so I guess everyone here who wants to give his or her money to the cause is still fine to do so.
Oh, yes, you can still pay a dollar or more if you want to play the prototypes. But the prototypes are complete and playable (I already played them).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Double Fine is now a publisher: http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/09/dou...es-to-prevent-indies-becoming-the-new-casual/
Double Fine publishing hopes to prevent indies “becoming the new casual”

Double Fine’s efforts to enter the publishing space are about keeping indies visible and profitable, according to chief operating officer Justin Bailey.

double_fine.jpg

Speaking to USGamer in response to recent op-eds about the lowering price of indie games and the potential collapse of the market, Bailey said that there is a risk.

“I think what indies really need to watch out for is not becoming the new casual games,” he said.

“I don’t think that’s a problem from the development side. Indies are approaching it as an artform and they’re trying to be innovative, but what’s happening in the marketplace is indies are being pushed more and more to have a lower price or have a bunch of games bundled together.

“I’d like to fight that. Double Fine wants to keep indies premium. You see that in our own games and how we’re positioning them. We fight the urge to just completely drop the price. That’s one of the things we want to encourage in this program. Getting people to stick to a premium price point and to the platforms that allow you to do that.”

Double Fine’s publishing arm is really about promoting games and maybe helping with fundraising, Bailey explained elsewhere in the interview, as it hopes to help other developers achieve the “evergreen” sales status of its own games, which may not sell hugely on launch day but have very long tails.

This model still allows room for traditional publishers, as with Double Fine’s Costume Quest 2, which is being published by Majesco offshoot Midnight City.

“We’re not looking to replace – we’re trying to augment the system,” Bailey said.

“We’re making small strides right now. Costume Quest 2 is a high-budget game. It’s one that I thought it was best to have a publishing partner who can also spend some marketing funds around it.

“With Midnight City, they’re working with us very much like partners. We’re not trying to say that publishing is not a good route to go. I think there are some publishing contracts that operate like a partnership and can still bring value to the table, which we’re happy to say is the case with Midnight City.”

Double Fine’s first publishing foray is Magical Time Bean’s Escape Goat 2.

Metro :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The next step from developing shitty overrated games is publishing them!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've finished Costume Quest over the weekend. Overall, I would rate it higher than Stacking, although combat was way too simplistic, even for an 8-hour game. Still, quite charming, although it was a little bizarre to play this game right after Penny Arcade Adventures ep.1, which has very similar mechanics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
An interesting Let's play from Tim, with lots of behind the scenes stuff:

The video is not totally new, it was shown in 2012, but I don't think it was posted here.

buzz

Arcane
At around 10 minutes, he talks about an instance where using "Pull" instead of "Use" with an object does something. Interesting how he didn't learn much from replaying his game, Broken Age going as far as not even having a Use/Observe thing FFS.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Double Fine announced their latest game. It is Gang Beast.

It is multiplayer only. It is in alpha phase. It is on early access. And it looks stupid.
Sigh...Double Fine, why are you doing this to me? How can I be a fanboy of you, if you make crap like this? Maybe you should finish a game first, instead of putting out game after game after game on early access. You work on Broken Age. You work on DF9, the Grim Fandango remake, you work on Massive Chalice and you work on Hack and slash. And from those Massive Chalice and DF9 look very good, but instead of putting the resource there to finish it, you start this. It is clear that you badly need the money, but maybe you could get more money if you ship a finished product, than from Early Access. DF9 looks super cool, I bet it would sell well if you finish it, instead of keeping it in early access.

EDIT: Ok, I'm a retard, they don't develop it, just publishing it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom