Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The official Double Fine thread (brought to you by J_C)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:yeah:

But this is not a DF game, they are just publishing it. Nevermind, mixed up the publisher and the developer. I thought they are doing their publishing stuff again just like when they published that stupid goat game. This also means that this is a really good game. DF is back on its track! Yeah!!!!!

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Which LucasArts game is he currently remastering in Flash?

E6B4576DB9A92C72F139841590DC0DCB2F8B1960

16jvxcssnu.gif

Boleskine

Arcane
Amnesia Fortnight 2017

Vagina Crisis: A Period Piece
Monica Chin-Perez
Double Fine
Vagina Crisis: A Period Piece is a health education game about a 13 year old girl who gets her first period. It’s an adventure game where the player is presented with solutions to a problem. None of the options will have a correct choice because life has no perfect solutions. Cutscenes will depict the girl’s reactions to the situations she’s put in. There will also be facts on how a period affects women’s everyday lives. The girl’s appearance will be customizable and a meter will monitor different emotions. When an emotion gets too high the girl will react. Both the story and facts will be different for every decision, making the game perfect for multiple playthroughs. Every gender should feel comfortable playing the game as it will be a great learning tool for students as well as adults.

:abyssgazer:

aratuk

Cipher
Darwin's Dinner is a survival game where your actions shape the evolution of the creatures you eat. Explore the island to hunt a variety of species. There is genetic variation among the individuals of each species. After each foraging cycle, time advances to the next year and the remaining animals reproduce. The genes of those you ate will not be passed along to the new generation. Eat all of the slow bunnies this year? You may starve next year when the bunny population is quick to catch. Try to maintain the existing balance or reshape the species as you see fit. With careful food selection over the generations you can drastically change a species. Can you evolve a chicken into a ferocious dinosaur? Each playthrough is a chance to explore the possibilities as you find new ways to survive.

Sounds kinda asymmetric for the prey to evolve but not the predators.

Since the player is the only predator, how would you implement that? It would be cool, but probably more than can be accomplished in a fortnight.

I just wish it were possible to see the vote tallies. Vagina Crisis for the win! :shittydog:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just wish it were possible to see the vote tallies. Vagina Crisis for the win! :shittydog:

We may not see the vote tallies, but there's 4 prototypes that get approved: 2 by voters, one by Double Fine team, and one by Tim Schafer himself. We can watch those.

Boleskine

Arcane
Documentary videos:

Day 0:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-schafer...-more-remasters-of-lucasarts-adventure-games/

Tim Schafer talks Psychonauts 2 and more remasters of Lucasarts adventure games
Discussing past, present and future with Double Fine's founder.

Tim Schafer, the designer of all-time PC Gamer favourites like Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle received the BAFTA Fellowship last week in recognition of his creative contribution to games. Along with much of the staff at Double Fine, Schafer is currently working on a sequel to cult classic Psychonauts 2, which was successfully crowdfunded in January 2016.

We never seem to pass up an opportunity to talk to Schafer, and at EGX Rezzed last Friday I sat down with him to ask how Psychonauts 2 is coming along and whether he'd be interested in remastering more of Lucasarts' treasure trove of adventure games—even if they weren't games he worked on.

How does receiving the BAFTA Fellowship make you feel?

Besides old? It's really nice. It's coming from an organisation that values creativity and tries to encourage that in a generation of young talent, and that's something I feel like we've always tried to do as a company, so it feels very relevant and important to recognition—and a very heavy trophy.

It was an interesting spread of winners this year—particular Edith Finch winning Best Game. That sends a strong message.

Those are great games. It was nice to see Night In The Woods and Gorogoa win awards, as well as Hellblade winning so many.

Double Fine is at an interesting mid-point between developer and publisher. How has your role changed in the last decade or so?

Well, some things are new, and some things are the same. I still try to hold on to the parts of the job that I love, like writing. I'm still writing on Psychonauts 2, I'm hard at work getting all those cutscenes and levels writing done. But we've added a lot more things with an eye on the industry at large—trying to be a good heart of the indie games community, doing things like Day of the Devs and Double Fine Presents. There are so many games out there that disappear, and we want to help showcase the ones we think are the best. So I've added that kind of stuff, but I've left the parts of the job I'm not good at or don't enjoy like biz dev, money raising and work schedule. Team management I've sometimes left to other people smarter and better people than me so I can focus on still being creative, but still reaching out to the industry at large, trying to be a good citizen.

You've talked a few times about the amount of games out there, and the struggle to stand out. Do you feel like you've found the right way of getting games to a larger audience?

Yeah. There are actually a lot of indie developers doing this now, like Finji, who are helping out other indie developers. We're picking games that really stand out to us, or speak to us, and need what we have to offer. We're not sitting on a huge pile of money, though we are investing more and more in the publishing side. We've been around a long time. We know how to do everything from crowdfunding to relating to platform holders to how to get featured, how to outsource—all those things a developer might not know on their first game out. A lot of that is the hard work and curation of Greg Rice, our VP of business development, who runs Double Fine Presents. He's spending time at the show checking out all the games, seeing what stands out and meeting developers we might want to work with. We talk about it too, as a team, we play the games. At lunchtime we invite the whole company at Double Fine to come play some of these new games and see which ones we think are special.

You've gotten pretty good at the crowdfunding process. Are you less reliant on work-for-hire than you used to be?

To make a game as large as Psychonauts, we needed help from a publisher and that's when we really put together a flexible source of revenue. We have our own back catalogue now from games that we've self-published, like Brütal Legend on the PC, and all of our games that we've published we build to generate revenue from them, and every time we have a big Steam sale or a Humble Bundle we'll generate more money we can invest back into Psychonauts 2. But we also have Starbreeze publishing. So I think crowdfunding is still a great way to serve underserved markets like adventure games and things, where publishers might not be able to risk money on [them], but it's also a great way to connect with your strongest advocates out there in the community who really want to be backers, not just financially but emotionally and spiritually.

Can you talk about how Psychonauts 2 is coming along?

Yeah, we have about five level teams cranking away on the mental world. In Psychonauts you go into the minds of people and see their inner demons and fight the nightmares. We have multiple teams working on new levels for that, and we just did an update about the level teams and how they work. I'm almost done writing the cutscenes for the game, and we're just starting to look at casting for the voices.

When you make move the release date of a game, like you did with Psychonauts 2 in December, do you feel more pressure making those decisions when it's a crowdfunded game?

No, not unless you're asking for more money from them, because we're not. With Broken Age we doubled the length of time we'd take to make the game, but we also put in a bunch of our own money to match what the backers gave it. I feel like we're saying, thanks for waiting, we do apologise it's taking a while—so don't apologise. because that decision is to make a better game. You see announcements in the news about, 'oh, this game slipped' and everyone's all mad. The real bad news is the game's getting shipped when it's not ready. That's the opposite of that news release, right? And no one ever sees that announcement, because they don't make that announcement, but that's where the players really suffer—not from having to wait for a good game.

You've got former 2K Marin design director Zak McClendon as your lead designer on Psychonauts 2. What's that collaboration like?

Zak is an experienced leader of design. He worked on BioShock 2, a really great version of BioShock, and he brings a lot of expertise to the mechanics and the tuning and the physical side of level design and a lot of things we wanted to improve on in the second game. We felt like we can still do story and creativity and art really well, but we wanted to improve the platforming and level design on a mechanical level. I think he has a lot to offer there.

How is your studio divided across different projects right now?

We've got two games [going ahead]. After Brütal Legend, we split into four 15-person teams instead of one 60-person team. Three of those together is Psychonauts, and another team that's working on a secret unannounced game. So I always want to have multiple games going on because it gives you some perspective, flexibility and variety in the company which is important.

That moment where you split into those four teams felt like the start of an important new phase for Double Fine.

Definitely. And it was a great growth moment where we got to have people like Lee Petty, Tasha [Harris], Nathan [Martz] and Brad [Muir] run their own projects. Everyone got to try something new and everyone got to move up. We got a whole bunch of new genres nobody had ever done before. It helps us be nimble, trying to do something like Iron Brigade which was a mechanics-first type game rather than a story or narrative game. It lets us try to do things Once Upon A Monster or an RPG with Costume Quest and not bet the whole farm on it every time.

What was it like to revisit your old games for the recent remasters?

It was the kind of thing I had to give my permission to do. I've always had an instinct to stay away from the past, make a game, move on and make the next game. Don't rest on your laurels. You should always be trying to pull out new ideas. But then, 20 years go by for some of these games. It's been enough time that there's some value in going back and looking at them.

Also, they were falling apart. They weren't available anymore, they didn't run so you'd have to pirate them if you wanted to buy some of them. We thought it was time. Also, the source material was ageing. A lot of it was on tape drives that are crumbling. Some of the team had passed away. While everyone's still around, let's make a definitive version of this game. We can get the team back together to comment on it, and gather that art, go to the archives and find what we can find. So we made versions of the game that are really phenomenal, and they gather a lot of that source material so you can see who we were at the time we made that game, who the team was. We can also do things like remix the audio, have it cleaner and not compressed.

Between that and Psychonauts 2, then, you have opened yourself up to the idea of looking back.

Yeah. Although Psychonauts 2 is a sequel, and we don't usually do that, but the story is a whole new chapter and it's something I wanted to do back when I made the first game. I had these ideas for how that story would continue, and being able to wrap up some of those loose ends that we started in the first game has been really satisfying.

With the Lucasarts remasters, you've now worked on your major projects there. Would you be open to taking on Lucasarts adventure games that could do with similar treatment, even if they're not games you worked on?

We'd love to, and in some ways it's up to Disney, if they want to do that, obviously, and if the original creators want to be involved, you know. That's what makes those remasters special, that the original creators came back and were able to say what to improve on, what to leave alone.

If Disney expressed interest in doing sequels to your older games, would you be interested in doing that, or are you all about owning your own games now?

The reason I started the company was to own what we make, so it is important to me to own them, and I had to be talked into doing those remasters on the business side. Our biz dev person at the time, Justin, was like 'you should do this'. [And I was like], 'we don't own them, what's the point?' and I'm really glad we did decide to do them, even though we don't own them. First of all we made money off of them, which is something I couldn't do in the past. We made money off Full Throttle, but we sold more copies of Grim Fandango this time around than the first time around, and so that was exciting to be a part of.

And also, I got to make sure they were done right, and still be associated with the new versions of the game and not let someone else do that. That was really important to me. So I'm glad we did that. I would like to own them some day, mostly just to make sure I can preserve them. We lucked out, we made those remasters [with people] that were fans of the old games at Disney and at Lucasarts, and people still wanted to see those kept alive.

What do you think the state of comedy in games is now?

I feel like it's getting better. There are a lot of indie games that are really funny and light-hearted. The games industry dwells too much in the over serious, the grim hero of action games and hyper-macho things. The film industry is not known for being super inventive all the time, but even they have comedies every year and romance. Those things are not well-treated in mainstream games very often, but indie games I think have shown the way, by being games about anything. Making games that are funny, making games that are serious.

Jazzpunk and West of Loathing come to mind as great comedy games of recent years. Jazzpunk is particularly great at allowing the player to play a role in creating jokes.

I feel like interactive comedy is all about giving the comedy tools to the player. Giving them the wacky ability to squirt ink on everybody, or act and behave bad. It's like you're staging a play and there's this drunk improv character in the middle of it being rude to everybody, and that's the player. You've got to react to that, and as long as you give the player good props and good costumes to wear, and good actions they can do, they'll have a lot of fun, and be able to be funny.

What's it like working with a Psychonauts 2 team made up of both fans of the original game and people who were fans of it?

I think it's an important mix to have, because you want people who remember the special ways you made the first game stand out, how did you achieve that, and to remind you that we had some of the same problems with the first game that we had in the second game, insofar as there's periods where the level has to be rebooted. We rebooted one of the worlds five times, I think, and it's good to have that kind of perspective on it. Then it's also good to have people who don't have that history, who just started with some new ideas and new ways of doing things that can make the game better.

How has your writing process changed over the years, and how is that conveyed through your work?

When I do the remasters and I read my old writing, I remember how I was feeling when I wrote that. I feel like my process is still really similar. I do a lot of free writing, I do a lot of brainstorming, and I do a lot of writing locked in my office. I try to absorb the characters completely in my brain, and then treat it like improv acting where I act every part out as I'm writing, and I think that is basically the same. I feel like I've been through more as a human being, and that I've lived more, and that that's made me more empathetic towards human beings, and so maybe that comes through in the writing a little more. I worked really hard to become a better writer, and that's harder to do when you get more established—to find more ways to improve your craft, but I think it's really important. Even after you feel like you've arrived or succeeded, you don't stop learning how to do better, because I think that's the only way to have a long career—to always be getting better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So there's literally been nothing worth discussing about these guys for a year until someone says something about more shit remakes?
Nice.
Something is not posted on the Codex == it doesn't happen in reality. Because logic!

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-schafer-i-dont-think-ive-made-my-best-game-yet/

Tim Schafer: 'I don't think I've made my best game yet'
By Andy Chalk 6 hours ago

The man behind Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and Psychonauts thinks his best work lies ahead.

tkPvd569dFANUYhRJtfhuj-650-80.jpg

Image source: BAFTA

Tim Schafer has made some pretty great games over the years, like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts. He was also recently awarded a BAFTA Fellowship, a lifetime achievement award and "the highest accolade BAFTA can bestow up an individual." But in a recent interview with GamesIndustry he said that even after all that, he feels like he's still trying to get a handle on what he's actually doing.

"This sort of award feels like something you get when you're done, but I still feel like I'm working towards figuring out how to make games. Slowly, over time," Schafer said. "I don't think I've made my best game yet, and I feel like that's something I want to work towards."

Schafer said that the bulk of his time is occupied with the day-to-day business of running Double Fine and working on Psychonauts 2. But he's also interested in trying "new things with experimental stuff." That, he said, is where the real innovation comes from—and not just in indie games, but in big-budget releases as well.

"There are still things that are really interesting, like the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, and there are other things [in AAA] that I feel like I haven't done before, or mechanics I haven't seen before. So I still think there's plenty of innovation in AAA games—it's just that it's still being led by the indie games," he said. "Because when you're spending hundreds of millions of dollars, people get more risk averse. But they know they still have to stand out."

That, he acknowledged, is a part of the equation that can't be overlooked. "I'm encouraging people to bring their personal uniqueness to games, but I'm not guaranteeing that it's going to make them a lot of money," he said. "First-time indies need to moderate their expectations."

I'll certainly be happy if it turns out that Schafer's best work really is ahead: A game that could surpass his best-work-so-far would have to be very special. (But not more of that Meat Circus nonsense, please.) Schafer's current project, Psychonauts 2, doesn't have a release date but will hopefully show up sometime in 2019.

Schafer's BAFTA Fellowship award ceremony can be seen below.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Brought you a documentary film about Double Fine's Amensia Fortnight events:

Watching the guy at around 50 minutes fucking around with collision spheres and ragdoll physics in unreal..
Jesus christ..

Do they have a singular developer anymore? Are all their games just gonna be fapping around in blueprints from now on..? most of these people look deer in the headlights clueless..
Is this Nuu Professional Game Development???

Big Oof.

EDIT:

No seriously every meeting they show in this video - is filled with "Nuu-Game Devs" that are all like hipster moustaches or feminist dance majors bullshitting about how cubes should fall from the sky and what colors they should be and blah blah for hours !
A team of 20 Designers / Idea People - and 1 fat guy who fucks around with blueprint nodes.. holy shit.. lol

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Brought you a documentary film about Double Fine's Amensia Fortnight events:

Watching the guy at around 50 minutes fucking around with collision spheres and ragdoll physics in unreal..
Jesus christ..

Do they have a singular developer anymore? Are all their games just gonna be fapping around in blueprints from now on..? most of these people look deer in the headlights clueless..
Is this Nuu Professional Game Development???

Big Oof.

EDIT:

No seriously every meeting they show in this video - is filled with "Nuu-Game Devs" that are all like hipster moustaches or feminist dance majors bullshitting about how cubes should fall from the sky and what colors they should be and blah blah for hours !
A team of 20 Designers / Idea People - and 1 fat guy who fucks around with blueprint nodes.. holy shit.. lol

Yeah, they had a good german programmer, but he moved back to Germany. This is what is left.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Kinda amazing to see and I'm only 5 minutes in. Like the pitch thing, holy bananas. Everyone is so "crazy" and out there! I'm so special and have these wild ideas about space graffiti. Reminds me of high school and apparently they have not left that stage.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Tim Schafer can now officially call himself a Living Legend™

Awards! The Great Tim Schafer Is Our Legend Winner For The 11th New York Game Awards!
nygcc / 3 hours ago
GGOaVnF79zcU3H0lc8g-AVj9pS6SGjlPWRxZ5H9NHdOBcM5FbPN13SXDpCrSCm6KEWtIP_exctU-yFgMSS4WFXZdoNRIVN90TDmqfGz7llBwSzgvLnANXtkqmPTEXwY0HWIEY8ss

Tim Schafer Selected as 2022 Legend Award Recipient

by New York Videogame Critics Circle

Award Will Be Presented at 11th Annual New York Game Awards on Feb. 1, 2022

NEW YORK (Jan. 25, 2022) — There are giants among us! The New York Videogame Critics Circle (NYVGCC) today revealed Tim Schafer, founder and game designer at Double Fine Productions, as this year’s Andrew Yoon Legend Award recipient. Known for such games as Grim Fandango, Brütal Legend and both Psychonauts 1 and 2, Schafer is being honored for his phenomenal contributions to the video game industry. The award will be presented during this year’s New York Game Awards, which can be viewed on, Feb. 1, 2022, at 8:00 p.m. EST on Twitch.TV/NYVGCC, along with a short documentary where Schafer’s impact will be discussed by Circle members and top industry luminaries.

“Tim Schafer is a master craftsman of language and animation,” said Harold Goldberg, president and founder, NYVGCC. “Starting with his formative years at LucasArts, where he supplied the killer dialog in The Secret of Monkey Island, he has consistently honed his humor and satire to make great games. Who else draws from Charles Dickens and Kurt Vonnegut for character names? His skill and craft shine through an incredible body of work, and we are honored to present him with the Andrew Yoon Legend Award.”

With over 30 years in the game industry, Tim Schafer is currently the Studio Head of Double Fine Productions, a San Francisco-based video game developer that is part of Xbox Game Studios, and maker of many critically acclaimed games including Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, RAD and Headlander. Tim also launched the record-breaking, multi-millon dollar Kickstarter project, Double Fine Adventure (aka Broken Age), which inspired a new era of crowd-funded indie titles. Prior to Double Fine, Tim was a Project Leader at LucasArts Entertainment Company, where he was responsible for several classic PC adventure games, including Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. Tim also co-designed Day of the Tentacle, and served as a writer and assistant designer on The Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2.

The Andrew Yoon Legend Award is presented by the New York Videogame Critics Circle to recognize people and organizations that have exhibited a significant, sustained body of work that shows exceptional artistic achievement and innovation. The award is named for Andrew Yoon, a founding member of the New York Game Critics Circle. Past recipients of the award include Reggie Fils-Aimé, Jerry Lawson, Jade Raymond, Richard Garriott, Todd Howard, Rockstar Games, Ralph Baer and Hideo Kojima.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom