Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #22: Faction Leaders Overview

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
CkIs8iO.png
M'lady, please allow me to deal with these brutes.

CkIs8iO.png
Codex misogynists are literally trash mobs, I barely break a sweat putting 'em down.

CkIs8iO.png
*launches a prestige-class tirade in which every word of wisdom strikes as swiftly and precisely as a masterwork katana in the morning mist*

[14 pages later]

CkIs8iO.png
...and so it was back in my army days that I learnt first-hand how women are just as strong as any man, and... Huh..? They all left?

CkIs8iO.png
All too easy. Bigots, bigots never change.

CkIs8iO.png
What's that, Cherry-sama? Nay, please! You do not have to thank me.

CkIs8iO.png
'tis but my duty.

CkIs8iO.png
*tips respectfully*

Saduj

Arcane
Of course it does. Variety and diversity among characters is a richness and improves a game - as long as they are well thought out. It's boring to have SCHEMING WHITE GUY #75 once more, especially when a game setting does not force it.

That's not really an even comparison. You're comparing "well thought out" characters to generically boring ones. You could have just as easily said a game populated by well thought out white guys is preferable to a game with stereotypical diversity. There is no inherent value in superficial diversity. Making every character in a poorly written game a different color isn't going to make it any better. It is the "well thought out" part that matters.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo-stick, talk about your shitty reading comprehension first, before having a go, mate.demographic
It's ironic that you would accuse me of that, since your autistic outbreak was clearly the result of a critical failure when it came to reading comprehension of the post you attacked:

Lone Wolf said:
Considering that only about 26% of people who play WRPGs are female and that a far smaller percentage of those will go outside of the AAA bubble (your MEs, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts and the like), why do you believe that Vault Dweller should expend resources on some kind of 50/50 portrait/representation split?
1. Nobody said anything about 50/50 portrait/representation split
2. Nobody said anything "wasting" resources to "pander" to female gamers.

Back in 1988, SSI made Pool of Radiance and included not only the possibility of creating female PCs in the party, but also included a fair number of female NPCs. According to your logic, SSI did that to try to lure the non-existant female PC RPG audience. Because only women gamers can appreciate female characters? Can you understand how retarded that makes you look? Especially because in your second post you contradicted yourself:
Lone Wolf said:
I'm not questioning women in games. I welcome women both playing games and being represented in them.
Which goes directly against the argument you made in your earlier post. You can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't claim that you're A-OK with women in games while at the same time arguing that the only reason for them is to pander to female gamers, something that a indie RPG studio cannot afford.

That's not really an even comparison. You're comparing "well thought out" characters to generically boring ones. You could have just as easily said a game populated by well thought out white guys is preferable to a game with stereotypical diversity. There is no inherent value in superficial diversity. Making every character in a poorly written game a different color isn't going to make it any better. It is the "well thought out" part that matters.
I thought that would go without saying, because it's clearly obvious.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Which goes directly against the argument you made in your earlier post. You can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't claim that you're A-OK with women in games while at the same time arguing that the only reason for them is to pander to female gamers, something that a indie RPG studio cannot afford.

In this imperfect world, in which resources are finite, VD has choices to make regarding how he develops and markets his game. That his audience is majority male is beyond dispute, yes? In fact, it's a clear, massive majority. So why would he allocate significant resources to, for example, make a larger number of available portraits female, if those portraits aren't going to be used by the majority of his audience? You're asking him to allocate resources on principle, not on economic grounds, and that's utter bullshit. It's his livelihood and his choice.

It's ironic that you would accuse me of that, since your autistic outbreak was clearly the result of a critical failure when it came to reading comprehension of the post you attacked:

Firstly, go fuck yourself with a screwdriver, pussy.

Secondly, let's review the offending post. Which part of this did I miscomprehend?

It is a bit disappointing to hear the same excuses everybody else has been using since forever. It is a matter of what you choose to represent and whether you end up enforcing the same stereotypes over or start creating new possibilities.

So your take on the above is:

1. Nobody said anything about 50/50 portrait/representation split
2. Nobody said anything "wasting" resources to "pander" to female gamers.

Except, the poster is clearly arguing for the allocation of resources on principle, not on economic grounds. Call it 'catering' or 'pandering' or 'principle', the point is that it makes little economic sense beyond the 'attitude and underlying philosophy' of it.

Here:

Why not carry the same attitude and underlying philosophy to all creative aspects of a game?

This is the poster asking for inclusiveness and gender representation on principle. Period.

Back in 1988, SSI made Pool of Radiance and included not only the possibility of creating female PCs in the party, but also included a fair number of female NPCs. According to your logic, SSI did that to try to lure the non-existant female PC RPG audience. Because only women gamers can appreciate female characters? Can you understand how retarded that makes you look? Especially because in your second post you contradicted yourself:

That was their choice. They didn't have cherry sitting on their shoulder, asking them for better gender representation. Not as far as we know. They allocated their resources the way they wanted to on presumably rational and economic grounds. Maybe they were even trying to attain a larger female demographic, who knows? VD has the same choice. Except he's not on SSI's scale. He has to make more difficult resource allocation choices than they did. If he chooses to spend his limited portrait budget with 85-90% of his audience in mind, so what? That there will be female portraits is beyond question - in fact one has already been posted. But 'where are the women' suggests that cherry is looking for a more even split than, say, the single digit percentage that the audience's demographic split would rationally correlate.

Because only women gamers can appreciate female characters? Can you understand how retarded that makes you look?

As for this tidbit of genteel idiocy, how did you manage to read it into what I'm saying?

If VD wants female characters, female portraits, female whatever the fuck, all the better. If he envisions a world in which it makes sense to him that a particular character or group of characters is female, wonderful. I have no problem with it, whatsoever.

There's a word in there you seem to be missing, repeatedly. It's VD's 'wants' that are in question. Not cherry's. If it makes sense to him for a character to be female, then the character will be female. Why are you asking him for female characters/portraits/other inclusive measures on principle? Why are you haranguing his choices in attaining his livelihood, when he knows his audience better than you do?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is it me or do all the avatars in his games have this mildly pissed expression on their faces. Also a bit of a same-ness. Needs a bit more variety/asymmetrical appearances. Minor quibble but you can sell it as $10 portrait DLC.

Black Angel

Arcane
Is it me or do all the avatars in his games have this mildly pissed expression on their faces. Also a bit of a same-ness. Needs a bit more variety/asymmetrical appearances. Minor quibble but you can sell it as $10 portrait DLC.
No need for any of this because I'm sure this face
Miltiades.jpg

will make an epic comeback, one way or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom