Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World is now on Steam, gets its first trailer, releasing in Fall 2020

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Iron Tower Studio; The New World; Vince D. Weller

The New World, Iron Tower Studio's highly anticipated colony ship RPG, now has its own Steam page. Alongside it, they've published the game's first trailer. No gameplay yet - it's an introductory "concept trailer" that explains the game's premise with animated concept art and screenshots. Most notably, the trailer concludes with the announcement of three release dates - Winter 2018 for the combat demo, Fall 2019 for Early Access, and Fall 2020 for the final release. But here, just watch it:

Vault Dweller provides some additional details on the Iron Tower forums:

Our Steam page is now live. While the intro trailer doesn't have any gameplay footage yet (expect the first footage in 3-4 months), it comes with a sample of the ambient tracks. We'll post development updates on Steam as well, so if you're interested please wishlist or follow the game.

While we're on the subject of music, here's what Ryan Eston Paul, our composer, had to say about it:

"Obviously we are in the very early stages of composing here, but even now “The New World” offers so much in way of texture and color from which to create the soundtrack for this world. The cold and dark hue of a metal world starkly illuminated by artificial light. The fatalistic hope of people living within structured living quarters that they will never be able to leave. A world without fields or forest, but with an extended “frontier” of damaged and gang-infested compartments and decks. All of these contrasts and textures create an interesting whole that is equal parts old and new. Just the combination of a science fiction setting and the “western” theme of an endless frontier of lawless land to explore is enough to make my musical wheels really turn.

With “The Age of Decadence”, there was a clear musical voice that was created, one that eschewed from many of the prominent musical tropes of rpg games. Big epic brass and action-packed strings were largely traded for haunting children’s choirs, lonely lute plucks and cryptic whispers. From the beginning, the goal of the team has been to immerse the player in the feel and texture of the world, thus engulfing them in the story, and “The New World” will be no different in this regard. But even while bearing a similar musical philosophy to “The Age of Decadence”, the sound palette of “The New World” has me very excited. Expect synthesizers and dark, unearthly electronic sounds, but also expect a few surprises."
The Steam page also includes two new screenshots, though both show areas that we've seen before in WIP renders. Anyway, wishlist and follow!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Awesome. I'll definitely wish list. I'd be interested in one of your "developer insider" posts on how you determined your release quarter.

gallandr0

Novice
Patron
Will wishlist, tiny bit of feedback, I read at a normal-fast speed and I struggled to keep up with the pace of the reading while glancing at the pictures in the trailer. Can't wait!

Shin

Cipher
Looks good. Think it would've benefited from a tiny bit of narration though (perhaps at the ending portion, some dude saying some ominous words); though that might've made it more cliche as well. Definitely on my to-watch list.

Mustawd

Will wishlist, tiny bit of feedback, I read at a normal-fast speed and I struggled to keep up with the pace of the reading while glancing at the pictures in the trailer. Can't wait!

Same.

Looks good. Think it would've benefited from a tiny bit of narration though (perhaps at the ending portion, some dude saying some ominous words); though that might've made it more cliche as well. Definitely on my to-watch list.

Also think a narrator would help. Just don’t use that guy from No Truce with the Furries.

skycycle

Educated
Just got around to writing a brief review for AoD on Steam last week, and now we get a trailer and a Steam page for TNW - easy wishlist!

All the development updates so far have been very informative, time for some visual goodness now :)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Nice trailer, but...

The video moves too fast for the text. Just slow it down a little. Maybe make the text bigger too.

Text is too fast, unreadable font.

Portraits look good like in AOD but the concept art looks a little bland, but this is not what matters with games developed by Iron Tower Studio.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The animated concept art looks really damn cool. But the trailer has too much text in too little time, I have to pause in order to read.

Suggestion: Either make the video 3 times longer (1 min is really short anyway), or trim down the text to key words. Presentation is important.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You can always watch it on YT and slow the video down 25% or more:

Vault Dweller said:
so if you're interested please wishlist or follow the game
Will you lower the price if enough people will wishlist it?
sS3Nhcc.png

And on a serious note, what is the intended price of the game? 30$?

Binky

Cipher
Naw, no narrarator. Ambient music + pretty pictures is more than enough. Less is more. Text does go a bit fast, but I suppose it could be used as speed reading exercise. Would be nice to have the trailer on AoD & DR sites as well.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You can also just not buy the game.
We don't even know if it will be released so not buying it is a no-brainer now (you can't pre-order it). And even if it will be released I doubt they will finish before 2021. So far the Steam page has almost nothing to present, it's just there to occupy space and reserve the name "New World". Not that I'm complaining, following the game on Steam makes it easy to be up to date without using Google alert plus it might improve game's positioning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom