Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Prime Junta

I don't think Prime Junta is talking about our opinions about videogames.

I would appreciate it if you stopped explaining what I'm saying on my behalf. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself when needed.

In this case, I was also talking about Codex's opinions on video games. Those outside the KKKonsensus get shouted down just as effectively as dissenting opinions on any other topic. It's fucking near impossible to have a discussion about anything related to Josh for example without having it immediately buried under a ton of monkey-shit.

However, I'm fairly certain that Codexian opinions on video games would not in fact get you banned on most other video game forums. The typical Codexian way of expressing them might, of course -- in fact IME people very rarely get banned for opinions; they get banned for behaviour. Not what they say, but how they say it.

*shrug* Yes, the Codex is a safe space of sorts, but ours is democratic, so it's better.

I wasn't aware things were decided by majority vote.

This isn't a democracy, 'tron. This is the Internet equivalent of Mogadishu. Mob rule takes care of most of the moderation, DU and the Conductors take care of what's left. There's nothing democratic about any of that.

(That's not a value judgment by the way, just an observation. I don't know of any forums like this that are democracies, and since the Usenet pretty much died, I don't know of any that are genuine anarchies while still managing to function, either. Most of them suck for any of a variety of reasons; as far as I'm concerned, and when it comes specifically to cRPG's, the Codex sucks the least ATM, and just to make it clear, I am not advocating changes. I'm just bitching about it.)

Thread should have been named "The New Obsidian Order".
All we need now is a photoshop of Sawyer as a Cardassian.

WWNpBHK.png

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Prime Junta is talking about our opinions about videogames.

I would appreciate it if you stopped explaining what I'm saying on my behalf. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself when needed.

In this case, I was also talking about Codex's opinions on video games. Those outside the KKKonsensus get shouted down just as effectively as dissenting opinions on any other topic. It's fucking near impossible to have a discussion about anything related to Josh for example without having it immediately buried under a ton of monkey-shit.

However, I'm fairly certain that Codexian opinions on video games would not in fact get you banned on most other video game forums. The typical Codexian way of expressing them might, of course -- in fact IME people very rarely get banned for opinions; they get banned for behaviour. Not what they say, but how they say it.

*shrug* Yes, the Codex is a safe space of sorts, but ours is democratic, so it's better.

I wasn't aware things were decided by majority vote.

This isn't a democracy, 'tron. This is the Internet equivalent of Mogadishu. Mob rule takes care of most of the moderation, DU and the Conductors take care of what's left. There's nothing democratic about any of that.

(That's not a value judgment by the way, just an observation. I don't know of any forums like this that are democracies, and since the Usenet pretty much died, I don't know of any that are genuine anarchies while still managing to function, either. Most of them suck for any of a variety of reasons; as far as I'm concerned, and when it comes specifically to cRPG's, the Codex sucks the least ATM, and just to make it clear, I am not advocating changes. I'm just bitching about it.)
Sounds like a serious case of

:butthurt:

concerning your shitty Pillows review.

Weasel
Every site has its own culture and majority opinions, and this one can be outspoken and often vitriolic (and attracts people who prefer low moderation, unlike SJWs), but at least mods aren't regulating what one can say. There are people on this site who take great pleasure in being contrarians, whereas contrary views on the likes of RPG.net are censored and result in bans. To say the Codex is "just as much a safe space" seems like quite a stretch.

The most common definition of safe space seems to be:
A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or challenged on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability; a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect, dignity and feelings and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.

Yes, that reminds me of the Codex alright.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every site has its own culture and majority opinions, and this one can be outspoken and often vitriolic (and attracts people who prefer low moderation, unlike SJWs), but at least mods aren't regulating what one can say. There are people on this site who take great pleasure in being contrarians, whereas contrary views on the likes of RPG.net are censored and result in bans. To say the Codex is "just as much a safe space" seems like quite a stretch.

The most common definition of safe space seems to be:
A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or challenged on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability; a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect, dignity and feelings and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.

Yes, that reminds me of the Codex alright.

Yep, we all respect each other greatly on the Codex.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's fucking near impossible to have a discussion about anything related to Josh for example without having it immediately buried under a ton of monkey-shit.

No, it isn't?

You're going to end up with only a few people but even when it comes to Josh there are all sorts of opinions here.

And if you can't take the heat, grow some fucking skin.

Prime Junta

It's fucking near impossible to have a discussion about anything related to Josh for example without having it immediately buried under a ton of monkey-shit.

No, it isn't?

You're going to end up with only a few people but even when it comes to Josh there are all sorts of opinions here.

The heat isn't the problem. The signal to noise ratio is. Any actual discussion gets lost in the avalanche of BOOO JES IS THE ANTICHRIST DECLINE BALANCE LOL shitposting.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, it isn't?

The heat isn't the problem. The signal to noise ratio is. Any actual discussion gets lost in the avalanche of BOOO JES IS THE ANTICHRIST DECLINE BALANCE LOL shitposting.

Are negative opinions of Sawyer's work really shitposting, or do you just consider them that because you disagree?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
whereas contrary views on the likes of RPG.net are censored and result in bans.
That is fucking stupid. You don't get banned on RPG.net neither on SA for having contrary views, if you present them in an intelligent way. Maybe you are mixing having contrary views with talking about your views in a hateful, vitriolic fashion. Now that's what results in ban.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not like there's really anything to discuss at this point anyway. Just walk away. The Obsidian forums have the right idea, they just don't give a fuck.

That is fucking stupid. You don't get banned on RPG.net neither on SA for having contrary views, if you present them in an intelligent way. Maybe you are mixing having contrary views with talking about your views in a hateful, vitriolic fashion. Now that's what results in ban.

You need to learn more about those forums, especially RPG.net.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Are negative opinions of Sawyer's work really shitposting, or do you just consider them that because you disagree?

Are you a dishonest shitweasel, or just stupid?

I see plenty of detailed posts about Sawyer's work, both positive and negative, so I don't really get your point.

Like most topics on the Codex, there isn't a consensus.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You don't get banned on RPG.net neither on SA for having contrary views, if you present them in an intelligent way.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. If you believe in something some mod really doesn't like it doesn't matter how polite you express yourself, you have a one-way ticket to ban town.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not like there's really anything to discuss at this point anyway. Just walk away. The Obsidian forums have the right idea, they just don't give a fuck.

Heh, you need to learn more about those forums, especially RPG.net.
*shrugs* I've never experienced something like that on that site, I can't talk for others.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
You don't get banned on RPG.net neither on SA for having contrary views, if you present them in an intelligent way.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. If you believe in something some mod really doesn't like it doesn't matter how polite you express yourself, you have a one-way ticket to ban town.

This. It's incredibly easy to get banned on SA.

Disagree with mods, or ask a "stupid" question and your $9.95 investment is gone.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Not really applicable here...
The force is all about : balance :

With his love for perfect balance and :no fun allowed:, :balance: could be the lovechild of Obi-Wan and Yoda. He would be hailed as the Jedi Jezus in the Star Wars universe.

A few years down the road

Thread should have been named "The New Obsidian Order".
All we need now is a photoshop of Sawyer as a Cardassian.

WWNpBHK.png

If Josh is the new head of the Obsidian Order does this mean that MCA is now Garak?

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

*shrugs* I've never experienced something like that on that site, I can't talk for others.

Roguey is right. I've seen multiple instances of people being banned on RPG.net, because of the way their completely polite posts were interpreted by moderators, or because the moderators googled them and associated them with certain groups.
RPG.net is one of the most trigger happy moderated forums I've ever been on and it has little to do with banning just the assholes and trolls.

(edit: all discussions about and or including Zak S were a good example of this. Or, iirc, when the Numenera bestiary controversy happened and people defended Shanna Germain...)

Weasel

"Fucking stupid"? Enlighten yourself or you just look fucking stupid yourself.

Everyone knows what RPG.net is like, even those who haven't had the misfortune of visiting it recently, there were even threads about it here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nly-feminists-are-welcome-at-their-site.98410

To get to the thing, RPGnet as a whole basically accepts that privilege is real. You are not necessarily going to get dinged for saying "lol privilege is not real," or for just strongly disliking the term, or for speaking out against ideologies you think are based on faulty notions, but Imma tell you right now that privilege has a solid as a fucking rock empirical foundation, built over hundreds of experiments, and if you don't think it is real then you're basically like a climate change denier. That is why you are going to get met with hostility even if the staff doesn't do anything to you in terms of infracting you.

[a few paragraphs later...]

If you do not have a working knowledge of what derailing and sea-lioning is, if you don't know what privilege is, if you don't grasp how subaltern narratives are excluded from the discourse and the experiences of marginalized groups are made invisible, then I heartily encourage you to LOOK UP THOSE THINGS before you post in a thread about women or sexism or GBLT issues or racism or anything like that, because YOU ARE DRAMATICALLY INCREASING THE LIKELIHOOD THAT YOU WILL GET RED TEXT IF YOU WALK IN AND START TALKING WITHOUT A GROUNDING IN THE BASIC REALITIES OF THE SITUATION.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

:butthurt:

Duraframe300

Arcane

No, it isn't?

Eh. That's honestly your problem. Also its not like you don't have solutions like the ignore function to help the problem.

And I'm saying that as someone that finds the (pure) Sawyer bashing boring. Even then though legitimate points are made at times when people decide to go more elaborate. Would miss those posts too.

Space Insect

Arcane

Everyone knows what RPG.net is like, even those who haven't had the misfortune of visiting it recently, there were even threads about it here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nly-feminists-are-welcome-at-their-site.98410

To get to the thing, RPGnet as a whole basically accepts that privilege is real. You are not necessarily going to get dinged for saying "lol privilege is not real," or for just strongly disliking the term, or for speaking out against ideologies you think are based on faulty notions, but Imma tell you right now that privilege has a solid as a fucking rock empirical foundation, built over hundreds of experiments, and if you don't think it is real then you're basically like a climate change denier. That is why you are going to get met with hostility even if the staff doesn't do anything to you in terms of infracting you.

[a few paragraphs later...]

If you do not have a working knowledge of what derailing and sea-lioning is, if you don't know what privilege is, if you don't grasp how subaltern narratives are excluded from the discourse and the experiences of marginalized groups are made invisible, then I heartily encourage you to LOOK UP THOSE THINGS before you post in a thread about women or sexism or GBLT issues or racism or anything like that, because YOU ARE DRAMATICALLY INCREASING THE LIKELIHOOD THAT YOU WILL GET RED TEXT IF YOU WALK IN AND START TALKING WITHOUT A GROUNDING IN THE BASIC REALITIES OF THE SITUATION.
Wait, what's "sea-lioning" and this "subaltern narrative"? Also, I wish we could remove the G we would be left with a BLT. Probably the best thing we can get from this situation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom