Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News The New Obsidian: Josh Sawyer promoted to studio Design Director role

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Prime Junta said:
I would appreciate it if you stopped explaining what I'm saying on my behalf. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself when needed.

which is why you needed like twenty consultants for your shitty review
:lol:

But it's funny seeing some stereotypical averagedex lowstandards consensus "Doesn't stink nor smell" user complain about divergent opinions being shutdown by angry mobs.

He should check his recent Bloodlines thread in fact. Where's the angry mob shutting down my divergent opinion? Might it just be that I'm not a bitch?

Prime Junta

Prime Junta said:
I would appreciate it if you stopped explaining what I'm saying on my behalf. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself when needed.

Let it go. It's been nearly a year, surely you're over it by now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Prime Junta said:

He should have lent some consultants to you, so you can write a decent one. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
campaign_projecteternity.png

Mozg

Arcane
On topic:

I hope Josh will create his old dream one day: A new Darklands with turn based combat and a classless character development system.

The problem is that there's already a way to do that: Leave Obsidian and crowdfund an indie version for a few hundred grand. A quasi-executive position at a developer that mostly wants to keep its people working on anything it can get is getting further from that, not closer.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
On topic:

I hope Josh will create his old dream one day: A new Darklands with turn based combat and a classless character development system.

The problem is that there's already a way to do that: Leave Obsidian and crowdfund an indie version for a few hundred grand. A quasi-executive position at a developer that mostly wants to keep its people working on anything is getting further from that, not closer.
The problem is he can't/doesn't feel like taking that sort of risk. He doesn't care about games that much.

Prime Junta

TBH I did expect the review to cause a certain amount of butthurt, but in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have expected that people still obsess about it nearly a year later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: Darklands

My feeling is that Josh may eventually settle on a tactical turn-based Darklands-like set in Eora rather than Earth, if he ever creates such a game at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My feeling is that Josh may eventually settle on a tactical turn-based Darklands-like set in Eora rather than Earth, if he ever creates such a game at all.
Why on earth would he use the pseudo-D&D world he created for the pseudo-D&D game?

Brand name recognition to help it sell better obviously.

I don't know, there's been talk of them trying to do a turn-based PoE spinoff (eg, http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...viewed-at-ragequit-gr-and-darkstation.104797/). Seems like it'd make sense to combine that with the Darklands idea, but maybe that would be a separate game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Why on earth would he use the pseudo-D&D world he created for the pseudo-D&D game?

Brand name recognition to help it sell better obviously.

I don't know, there's been talk of them trying to do a turn-based PoE spinoff (eg, http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...viewed-at-ragequit-gr-and-darkstation.104797/). Seems like it'd make sense to combine that with the Darklands idea, but maybe that could be a third game.

?

I don't really get it. How would you set a Darklands style game in Eora?

The setting doesn't really.. fit that well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't know, there's been talk of them trying to do a turn-based PoE spinoff (eg, http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...viewed-at-ragequit-gr-and-darkstation.104797/). Seems like it'd make sense to combine that with the Darklands idea, but maybe that could be a third game.

Bobby Null and I have also talked to Feargus about the possibility of making a separate game in the Pillars of Eternity setting focused on turn-based combat. Pillars of Eternity's area sizes and input systems don't translate well to non-PC formats, but I think a turn-based game could be very cool.

That sounds like they'd be using turn-based combat as an entryway to the console market. I'm not sure if "spiritual successor to Darklands" and "Xbone" are really all that compatible.

Mozg

Arcane
I dunno how you do Darklands without it being set in "imaginary history". I guess you could go up one more level of meta and make PoE Darklands where it's a fantastic version of PoE world history believed in by the fake people of PoE world at the time its ohhhhhhhhhhh Gooooooddd

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Keep in mind that Josh loves the German language - I think he'll try to return to medieval Middle-Europe.

Fairfax

Arcane
Keep in mind that Josh loves the German language - I think he'll try to return to medieval Middle-Europe.
Duytchlandyr, a kingdom filled with inequality, sexism and racism. The elite has caused global warming with a type of magic that only the rich can learn, and it's up to Arcade Gannon to save the world.

Ninjerk

Arcane
So the guy who revived his long-dead account on a forum he hates to write a counter-review for m'dev is ridiculing people about being butthurt in this thread. :lol:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have to think really hard about people here being literally mentally ill, or just having too much free time on their hands to spend days on whining about Sawyer's promotion like an idiot kid. You guys are the little 4-5 old kids who are just standing in one place stomping with their legs on the ground and throwing a tauntrum. WAAAAAAAAAAAA SAWYER WWAAAAAAAAA BALANCE WWAAAAAA NO OBSIDIAN SHIT WATTTTAAAA.

That's what I literally thought.
Much Ado About Nothing - that's all I can tell about it. What's all this fuss about?
Oh look, Sawyer gone wild and peed in water closet! LOOK, he missed and brought a spoonful past the mouth!
I have had a better opinion of codexers before.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am actually glad.
Because this is the beginning of the end for him.

Sorry Josh, Pillars sucked ass big time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom