Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Ivan

Arcane
Just finished this. I had to amp up the difficulty to Nightmare to get the most out of it and I enjoyed it well enough. I wouldn't say it rivals the classics, but heartily recommend it if you liked the tougher modern shooters like Hard Reset, Painkiller and Serious Sam. It reminded me more of Painkiller than Sam, in that your're typically fighting in square rooms.

The game is at it's best when verticality is emphasized. Something I would like to see implemented in a sequel would be destructible environments. Since the game encourages rapid movement I'd like to see the enemies be able to reshape the playspace.

I didn't feel the game built up to a climactic moment. The bosses were pretty shoehorned, and reminded of the poor boss fights in the nu-Shadow Warrior game. Also, the challenge maps are pretty lame. They could have definitely amped them up by having you take out certain enemies using certain weapons but some were really eyerollingly bad.

All in all a damn fine shooter for the times. It never made me smile with childish glee, like Titanfall 2 did (that's another story), but I would rank it alongside Serious Sam.
:3/5: or 3/4

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked NuDoom better than Doom3. Doom3 was a simple, albeit atmospheric, corridor shooter with an engine that severely limited the number of enemies on screen at any time. NuDoom is a simple, albeit atmospheric corridor/arena shooter with an engine that limits the number of enemies on screen at any time.

Conclusion: NuDoom has slightly more variety in its combat environments and can handle slightly more enemies on screen at once, therefore it's slightly better.

The NuDoom board game though is a blast - certainly better than the one that came out around the time of Doom3.

zx01_sample.png

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter
Still better than current FPS games at least.
At least they were primarily single player focused.
So is new Doom...? in fact, that was a cause for fair amount of whining due to its tackled-on MP segment.

You actually had a number of SP-focused or SP-only old-school shooters released in the last few years: Shadow Warrior and its sequel, Doom, new Wolfensteins, Hard Reset...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Motivated by the recent talk about Quake 4 I just installed the demo...

Gameplay: Enemy pops up - pew pew pew pew pew - next enemy pops up - pew pew pew pew pew - Buaah, I'm too old for this shit.

Fuck all Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein. I guess I'm done with shooters. Now I get it why people like slow games... like uhm... Skyrim...

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Motivated by the recent talk about Quake 4 I just installed the demo...

Gameplay: Enemy pops up - pew pew pew pew pew - next enemy pops up - pew pew pew pew pew - Buaah, I'm too old for this shit.

Fuck all Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein. I guess I'm done with shooters. Now I get it why people like slow games... like uhm... Skyrim...

No, my friend. Fuck all modern shooters.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh yeah, that one VR version for the new DOOM got releas-
Mixed (436)
whoops

Seems like it has no smooth locomotion so you're just teleporting around at a ridiculous pace, it doesn't natively support the Oculus, and the gun model viewing angles are all fucked. Interestingly enough the way Glory Kills now work with teleportation is that you just telefrag them when they're staggered, which is a much smoother solution than locking you into place as a canned first-person animation place, on top of the idea of ramming into an enemy so hard that he gets fucking burst to pieces being much cooler. Some retards in the reviews sections think it a negative, though nuDOOM 2 ideally should be doing the same here using a dash of some sorts.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I also completed Doom 4 recently.

"Mixed feelings" is an euphemism. I get what they are trying to do. Their heart is in the right place and it feels much more like Doom than Doom 3 (a game I also enjoyed, but felt like the developers really wanted to do System Shock).

On one hand, trying to tackle Doom is a hopeless issue. D1&2 are perfect games in every way ; still played today, still modded to make the game more modern, they do not look dated, or anything. They are intemporal. They are gaming's equivalent of chess. You don't go around making "Chess 2.0".

That said, yes, nu Doom is brutal and enjoyable. But as others pointed out, it's also brutally repetitive and much more limited than the original Doom. It's still a corridor shooter except now there are arenas. It still doesn't use the player's memory to remember the level's layouts. It focuses on fast twitch reflexes rather than strategies, because yes, the original Doom was slow enough and the maps big enough to make you require strategy. I remember when dying in Doom that what I had to do was to approach the situation differently ; In nuDoom, I died because I didn't move fast enough or aim precisely enough.

Also, it's another instance where modern gaming shows itself inferior to old gaming because reasons. "We can't have maps this big anymore.". "We can't have this many monsters on screen anymore.". "We can't have mods anymore.". Fuck you.

It's like that dev guy from the FF13 team once said to apologize himself for creating a boring corridor game. "It's now too expensive to have a game filled towns, sidequests, and NPCs, it can't be done anymore". They call this progress.

Doom 4 is a step in the right direction, but is it really a surprise, an achievement ? That very direction had been figured out by everyone before them : Brutal Doom did, indie shooters while being unperfect also tried similar things.

So what ? What is all that for ? Part of me wants to believe they are just putting their feet in to test the water and that the next one is going to really be good this time, but you all know this will never happen. Overall, this game feels just like a waste. Open the damn thing to moddability, release more tools, and there might be something to salvage.

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter
I also completed Doom 4 recently.

"Mixed feelings" is an euphemism. I get what they are trying to do. Their heart is in the right place and it feels much more like Doom than Doom 3 (a game I also enjoyed, but felt like the developers really wanted to do System Shock).

On one hand, trying to tackle Doom is a hopeless issue. D1&2 are perfect games in every way ; still played today, still modded to make the game more modern, they do not look dated, or anything. They are intemporal. They are gaming's equivalent of chess. You don't go around making "Chess 2.0".

That said, yes, nu Doom is brutal and enjoyable. But as others pointed out, it's also brutally repetitive and much more limited than the original Doom. It's still a corridor shooter except now there are arenas. It still doesn't use the player's memory to remember the level's layouts. It focuses on fast twitch reflexes rather than strategies, because yes, the original Doom was slow enough and the maps big enough to make you require strategy. I remember when dying in Doom that what I had to do was to approach the situation differently ; In nuDoom, I died because I didn't move fast enough or aim precisely enough.

Also, it's another instance where modern gaming shows itself inferior to old gaming because reasons. "We can't have maps this big anymore.". "We can't have this many monsters on screen anymore.". "We can't have mods anymore.". Fuck you.

It's like that dev guy from the FF13 team once said to apologize himself for creating a boring corridor game. "It's now too expensive to have a game filled towns, sidequests, and NPCs, it can't be done anymore". They call this progress.

Doom 4 is a step in the right direction, but is it really a surprise, an achievement ? That very direction had been figured out by everyone before them : Brutal Doom did, indie shooters while being unperfect also tried similar things.

So what ? What is all that for ? Part of me wants to believe they are just putting their feet in to test the water and that the next one is going to really be good this time, but you all know this will never happen. Overall, this game feels just like a waste. Open the damn thing to moddability, release more tools, and there might be something to salvage.
Interesting points...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I bought Doom 2016 a few days ago for a lousy 6,99 Euroshekel and managed to play 2-3 hours before tossing this poser off my hard drive. Sometimes the game managed to elevate itself very briefly into a competently designed shooter, only to sink back into it's natural which is an uninspired, predictable, repetitive arena shooter trampling on the player's intelligence. Also the id Tech 6 engine is utterly unsuitable for rendering outdoor areas. It just doesn't look and feel right.

OT: Anyone remember that? I was genuinely blown away back in 2002.

WTF, all the weapons in this video have decent sounds, not the shitty pathetic crap that Doom 3 released with. Who made the call to redo them with barely-audible clicks?

Seriously the pistol alone sounds more manly than the normal supershotgun.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
OT: Anyone remember that? I was genuinely blown away back in 2002.

WTF, all the weapons in this video have decent sounds, not the shitty pathetic crap that Doom 3 released with. Who made the call to redo them with barely-audible clicks?

Seriously the pistol alone sounds more manly than the normal supershotgun.

Yeah, that machine gun actually sounds dangerous. I remember the machinegun in the release version sounding really wimpy.

soulburner

Cipher
If I recall correctly, originally Trent Reznor was the main sound designer for the game, but he was also working on his new NiN album at the same time and the long game development required too much attention. I don't remember if it was Trent's decision to pull all his sounds or was it id Software's idea to scrap it all, but yeah, the final sounds are crappy.

Ash

Arcane
Oh wow, not only the audio design, but many elements look better. The shotgun has quite a sexy model. The wheelchair demon doesn't have a wheelchair, but rather mech legs (and therefore could be reused as an enemy with it making just a little more sense). There's a big zombie type with a tentacle attack...level design still looks extremely boxed in and inferior to classic Doom though.

Eh I might be confusing the D3 pinky demon with the version in the doom movie. All the decline is formed as one.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember seeing a picture with the doomguy as seen from an external POV in game code where it was modeled just the gun and a part of the breastplate.

Does anybody have that picture because I can't find it on the net

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
level design still looks extremely boxed in and inferior to classic Doom though.

Movement is also extremely slow. Clearly to accommodate gamepad play.

But hey, consoles didn't bring decline yo. Not at all.

Kitchen Utensil

Console peasants will always have to live with shitty 30 fps. That will be true with the Playstation 5 too, I bet.

Yeah once they'll manage most games at 4k/60fps, they'll probably push for 8k/30fps. :|
Still a somewhat unfitting place for this accusation, since Doom runs at 60fps on consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom