Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, on the topic of classic shooter design being too teh hard for modern gaymers and "journalists", my 11 years old nephew just started playing Doom and... he is managing just fine. Keep in mind this kid has been playing only casul mobile filth and some shit console games (including Call of Dooty on his PS3), so he wasn't even primed on classic arcade games like we all did. He is playing on a smal Mac Book Pro without mouse, so he is even getting the "classic" experience without any mouse look shit. Understandably, he is playing at easy (hey, not too rough), but aside for some tough spots, and me having to explain what all the items are and what they do, he is doing pretty well. Most importantly, he has no problems figuring out the levels on his own. I give him some help occasionally but he is doing fine for the most part and even finished a few levels on his own. No problems with getting "lost" or not understanding how keys work.

So there, an 11 year old managed to do what the entire gaming world today can't, play some fucking video game that wasn't made for retards, like we all did when we were kids. I have half a mind of buying him Dark Souls for his PS3 as his Christmas present and see if he can figure out that one. Meanwhile, i'll just keep feeding him as many classic games as i can before i leave for Italy again.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Doom 4 looks like a Rage type of game. I would want that Doom4 was released no matter how the game played out.
I think it's unwise for the company to have very huge time gap in franchise (that's probably not in Bethesda case). For the same reason I think Thief 4 (Ion storm) should have been made for better or for the worse.
Then, they could project and forecast Doom 2016 based on that player reactions of Doom4. Id would know how community would react to it.
Hypotetically, Doom's MP alpha wouldn't recieve such backlash based on community reception of D4. Though this is all hypotetically because we can never know that.

tormund

Arcane
Heh, on the topic of classic shooter design being too teh hard for modern gaymers and "journalists", my 11 year's old nephew just started playing Doom and... he is managing just fine.
Must be nostalgia googles... I mean he mighta played original Doom in his previous incarnation, or his dad mighta played and that genetic memory sheit kicked in. Right, that's as rational an explanation as any. No way 11 yrold kid would enjoy a historic relic like that in 2016, RPS and PC Gamer sez that's scientifically unpossible.

On a related note, even today you have teens regularly popping out on Doomworld forums with their own maps, and sometimes they end up as active, quality mappers. That genetic memory be some potent sheit.
You should introduce the lad to Doom Builder with a couple of YT tutorials at some point in the future. For science.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't even like Doom too much but suggesting it's difficult to play is completely retarded.

Anyway, here's some more impressions from DOOM 2016:

I think I'm near the end now, just killed the Hell Guardians or wtf, those boss things with lizard in them.

- the arena combat is getting really exhausting and repetitive I must say, I often quit the game when I enter an empty room that's obviously gonna be used as an arena because it's the same old same old
- the guns feel really good to me, the game plays slick
- saw some retards on Leddit recommend this old school shooter with the caveat it's too fast. It still seems a little slow to me, it feels a little bit like I'm walking through mud but it's not the worst
- practically no enemies except for arenas, this and the arenas themselves is the worst thing about the game and makes playing it a fucking chore, the enemy limit is goddamn obvious as I'm pretty sure it's also present in the idtech 4 games
- the graphics surprised me with not being all that awesome.
- the art direction is pretty crappy, it's not the worst but really uninspired and for fuck's sake it's been like 50 years since the first Doom, they could have come up with plenty new creatures but nooo fucking imps and caco demons whom I fucking hate and pinkies because LE 90s KIDS WILL REMEMBER THIS, fuck Mars and fuck the metal facility design. Few levels like that are ok but I barely even register the enviroment after a while because it feels all the same to me
- I retract my complaint about the difficulty, I get killed regularly now, gotta replay about half the bigger arenas at least once
- weapon model is too big and annoying
- the FOV slider works in some weird way, I have it set to 106 and it still feels a little weird
- I actually like the challenges and upgrades and points, why not, it's an action game Too bad there's only a few interesting ones, especially the armor sucks shit
- collectibles can suck my dick
- jumping is too low, ledge grab works nice and smooth, I like it
- with the quest compass, awesome button blinking and all this shit turned off, the exploration is ok but the maps are usually pretty small and linear with a few exception but then I was already bored of the game and didn't feel like trying to jump around to find some secrets
- I can find some humor and smile a bit at the story and the computer saying DEMONIC PRESENCE AT UNSAFE LEVELS and the doom guy smashing stuff, it's an action game and this is fun for me. I would prefer to do it myself though
- I hate the camera following the hand movements, or more like looking at my hands when they do stuff, I don't need the game to move my camera for me ffs, fuck this shit
- I hate standing around while the NPCs are yapping about shit I don't understand and don't care for
- I don't like the map, it feels shitty but I guess it's my own problem that I get confused
- the checkpoints piss me off for obvious reasons
- I get punished for playing without glory kills, or more like, I'm not good enough to dodge 100% of the enemy fire so I need to rely on the core gameplay mechanic that I find insulting

That's all that comes to mind right now. All in all, I don't remember a FPS with such good shooting and weapons in the past few years. The design decisions like glory kills, arenas, enemy limit, checkpoints and map design bring the game down to "ok". Just fill good maps with lots of enemies and this would be a relaxing good shooter but nooo fuck you here's collectibles and hallways and checkpoints.

With Doom 3 I was excited to be playing a new pretty game although I got bored a little. Here it's a fucking chore and I feel like I'm wrestling with the game to let me have some fun on my own terms. I guess it was the same case with Doom 3 as well but this isn't something new anymore, it looks like a better Doom 3 while Doom 3 looked like bomb compared to Doom 1,2.

I don't even know why is it called old-school, I don't even know what it means but I sure don't feel like I'm playing Doom all over again.

D44M is a designed-by-committee, QTE shitfest (please don't buy into this 'glory kill' bullshit terminology developed for media shills) that has nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing of the original games driving it.

The shooting can be fun for awhile but once you've seen your 57th closed arena with shit monsters and zero atmosphere you really don't feel like playing another minute. I can't help but feel constrained by the 'auntie says you can only fight in this spot' kind of gameplay. There's no mood to the game at all, the 'exploration' is a joke.

Watching that documentary posted above, what is most striking is seeing the couple of id veterans behave like shells of their former selves, trying to justify this turd, now fully assimilated by their corporate masterminds. It's some Body Snatchers type shit.

Who is going to be talking about this game 22 years from now? 15 years from now? 5? 2? No one.

lightbane

Arcane
That Call of Doom doesn't look too bad, the Imps actually look alien/freakish monsters instead of over-designed dolls with too many eyes. Also, no Brutalities Glory Kills present from what can be seen.

One of the worst parts of Nu-Doom IMO is the shoe-horned bits of the original campaign, which makes the new monsters and models stick out like a sore thumb.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Who is going to be talking about this game 22 years from now? 15 years from now? 5? 2? No one.

I think publishers expect us to talk about DO2M Brutal Extreme Edition, and forget that there was ever a game before that, let alone a game released in 1993 with a sequel that is still supported by modders.

As you said, this is a game designed by a marketing division, made to appeal to as much of your average current day FPS gamer, hoping they will turn away from their "realistic military shooters" to play "wild wacky bloody demon wasteland' while calling themselves "hardcore FPS gamers".

Mind you, I am not really a big fan of Doom 1 and 2 but I love some of the great mods and total conversions some people have made such as Blade of Agony.

I really hope that modding will increasing in popularity and that eventually modders will make spiritual sequels to favorite FPS series of mine such as Half Life, Jedi Knight, Elite Force, Wolfenstein, because the major developers sure as hell aren't.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't even like Doom too much but suggesting it's difficult to play is completely retarded.

Old games weren't really all that difficult. A few of them were, but most of them just had a normal level of challenge.

BTW, my 11 year old nephew just killed the Cyberdemon on his own. What an impossibly challenging enemy that they had to dumb him down in nuDoom, right?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Old games weren't really all that difficult. A few of them were, but most of them just had a normal level of challenge.

BTW, my 11 year old nephew just killed the Cyberdemon on his own. What an impossibly challenging enemy that they had to dumb him down in nuDoom, right?
tbf the cyberdemon in nuDoom is more than 'shoot at it until it dies', although it's more of a ripoff of a certain Ys boss
cyberdemons in Doom were only ever challenging depending on the present enemies and level layout preventing you from circlestrafing it to death anyways

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cyberdemon is easy by himself but not exactly a cake walk. One false move and you'll get a rocket in the face and the effect of the splash is so overwhing that it has a demoralizing effect even if the damage wasn't all that devastating, which usually leads to your dodging game getting screwed up.

Sodafish

Arcane
Both boss encounters were dumb, but in terms of stupid gamification the spider mastermind bit is way worse.

Music in nuDoom is just depressingly, laughably bad. It's super compressed HARDKOR GUITARS that sound so muffled it's actually insane that people with unlimited production budgets can come up with this shit.

Cadmus

Arcane
Fuck I don't think I have the strength to finish this game. It's so goddamn boring and repetitive.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Fuck I don't think I have the strength to finish this game. It's so goddamn boring and repetitive.

What has the experience been like for you?
I was never going to shell the entire amount for it but if it ever got on sale I thought it might be interesting to pick up.
However if it is just a game that is a shore to get through (like Fallout 4) I don't even want it as a budget title. (already bought a few games I felt were a waste of money even if they were on discount)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Music in nuDoom is just depressingly, laughably bad. It's super compressed HARDKOR GUITARS that sound so muffled it's actually insane that people with unlimited production budgets can come up with this shit.

The most depressing part is that you watch the "behind the scenes", and this "composer" (more like decomposer amirite) starts off with a perfectly good Doom rhythm, then he makes it pop even more, and then the final pass sounds like sandpaper being rubbed over the microphone.

All of the NUDOOM music sounds like that. It is fucking terrible. The old saying has never been more true - the empty can rattles the loudest.

Cadmus

Arcane

What has the experience been like for you?
I was never going to shell the entire amount for it but if it ever got on sale I thought it might be interesting to pick up.
However if it is just a game that is a shore to get through (like Fallout 4) I don't even want it as a budget title. (already bought a few games I felt were a waste of money even if they were on discount)
It is a chore to get through. As I mentioned earlier, the shooting mechanics and guns feel good to me but after a few hours you realize that the entire game is composed of two segments - exploration of semi-linear maps with little to no combat and ARENA combat.

What this does is after a while you've experienced all there is to the combat and it becomes boring because you're always locked inside a small room where you fight enemies who spawn in sort of waves, each getting more difficult. There are almost no enemies who would just roam the map like normal, everything spawns from magic dimensions one by one which is clearly the fucker devs trying to avoid some hardware limitations with having lots of enemies alive at the same time. It's incredibly transparent, repetitive and fucking boring.

The most depressing part is that you watch the "behind the scenes", and this "composer" (more like decomposer amirite) starts off with a perfectly good Doom rhythm, then he makes it pop even more, and then the final pass sounds like sandpaper being rubbed over the microphone.

All of the NUDOOM music sounds like that. It is fucking terrible. The old saying has never been more true - the empty can rattles the loudest.

I like the moments when you punch a monster and the music stops and starts, I think that's a good addition. Clearly they try to get the whole game into a rhythm but it doesn't work very well if you're like me and don't wanna punch monsters too much and instead hide behind crates and try to shoot stuff from a distance.

A horse of course

I thought it was interesting that in one of the interviews he stated that id specifically told him NOT to use guitars/metal, but he kept kept pushing here and there until eventually it ended up the way it did. I was personally very impressed by some of his work on Killer Instinct but DOOM's OST is adequate, at best.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
WOW!

159 pages of you guys complaining about a game.

Do you really hate this game, or (most likely) you secretly enjoy it but are too ashamed to admit it? :smug:
I'm posting in hopes that someone provides a counterargument to my shit rather than assuming everything I say is right

Cadmus

Arcane
WOW!

159 pages of you guys complaining about a game.

Do you really hate this game, or (most likely) you secretly enjoy it but are too ashamed to admit it? :smug:
low effort trolling

SAD!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom