Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

nomask7

Arcane
The gameplay feels like those multiplayer shooters where you put a bunch of people in a room, and they run & jump around super fast while shooting all over the place trying to kill each other. That's "DOOM" for you. The only thing in common with the original series is that both are FPS and relatively challenging.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The gameplay feels like those multiplayer shooters where you put a bunch of people in a room, and they run & jump around super fast while shooting all over the place trying to kill each other.

That's pretty much what it is, which is a step up from the average modern shooter but has nothing to do with the original Doom, which was all about clever level design and the strategic use of its bestiary in conjunction to said level design.

People already said it's closer to Painkiller than Doom. Except Painkiller has a much better art style, atmosphere and cool weapons going for it. And no stupid "glory kills". Also Black Edition costs peanuts on Steam. 2.5 euro currently.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or download Painkiller Supernatural 2.0 for free, which include Painkiller and all add-ons fixed to be playable. Make game 10x better.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Textures are blurry and as you approach they become clearer. Don't know if it's some graphics setting or the game engine's inherent flaw.
Gameplay bored me in the beginning but as I play through the game it improves gradually. Fights are intense and because the weapons can't store lots of ammo you are always on the lookout for more ammunition.
Chainsaw is cool for killing the shield guys, I guess id liked Halo. Grenade is bad, can't seem to throw it where I want and anyway there are exploding rounds for the shotgun, making it redundant.
Haven't encountered any boss fights yet but the checkpoints instead of good old quicksave baffle me as a design decision.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or download Painkiller Supernatural 2.0 for free, which include Painkiller and all add-ons fixed to be playable. Make game 10x better.

What does it introduce to "make game 10x better"? Hope you don't mean those crappy add-ons.
Yes, they too. Anything bad that made these addon pure shit was removed. Like ridiculous amount of enemies they start falling out of map? Fixed.
More ammo (this one was helluva annoying in Overdose)? Here you have.
Better secrets? There you go.
There was one level in port (it was fan made map) where I had no idea where to go (quite shocking for this kind of game) and one boss was nuts but other than that - modders fixe...wait, but anything made after Battle out of Hell was made by modders (or fans of PK in general) hired by publisher.

Whatever. Just want to say there is something beyond PK+BooH...

Ivan

Arcane
The engine is pretty good actually. It is the art direction that's fucked.

Couldn't help removing it from inventory. Didn't make it far because my GTX 660 can't handle it. Even at low settings i get 30 FPS at best. I did find it interesting though that at the highest difficulty setting the game appears to be... difficult. Expected popamole all the way.

you thinking about upgrading to a 1070?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm thinking of upgrading but i'll do it next year. I gotta leave the country in November and i won't be back for three months so i might as well wait. I'll wait to see how things have changed then before i pick a new card. 1070 or AMD equivalent is the most likely candidate though.

BTW, my current monitor only goes as far as 1680x1050 which has helped me milk my 660 a great deal. I'm planning to upgrade to this so a change in video card is going to be imperative:

https://www.amazon.it/DELL-UltraSha...ie=UTF8&qid=1443527383&sr=8-1&keywords=U2515H

If i had 30 FPS at 1680x1050 i can't image what'll get at 2K.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Halfway into DOOM on UV and I'm already feeling like your average Bethestard.
No seriously, this game lulls my brain into a state of 'huuuuhuuuummmhuuuurhhmmmmhuuuuhuhuhuhu' because there's simply nothing happening on screen which forces me to adapt or change my playstyle, or instantly react to anything. Is this what playing Fallout 4 feels like?
Just move sideways and keep firing your shotgun or rocket launcher at a crowd of enemies and press the Glory Kill key whenever required. I have no idea when or how I keep losing or gaining health and ammo. I just move in the direction of the quest compass and the green lights, fire guns at demons, and the game takes care of the rest.
This game does its absolute best to not surprise you and wake you up. Are energy drinks a prerequisite for having fun with this game?

My 770 ran Doom like shit (like 35-40 fps), new 1070 runs it at over 100fps. Game's ugly and bad, though.

Are energy drinks a prerequisite for having fun with this game?

That, and alt-tabbing constantly being unable to concentrate on any one thing seems to be a main tenet of game design these days.

Melcar

Arcane
So been playing it. Tried it on my kid brother's PC first (Phenom II 965 + 16GB RAM + R7 260X). Runs "okay" on medium settings at 1080p. Lowest is 21fps and goes all the way to 47fps in certain areas. Game looks like shit, even if you crank up everything. Really no difference except for the massive frame drop between medium and high. Really ugly looking game with shit textures that look like from last century. Can't use the highest texture setting since the game wants a 5GB card, so I can't say if it looks any better.
Nightmare is the only way to play, since the lower difficulties are just lame and too easy.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The game has a lazy art style, but the engine is just about unmatched and even looks good on the lowest settings.

Durandal

Arcane
The game has a lazy art style, but the engine is just about unmatched and even looks good on the lowest settings.

I found it one of the most interesting level designs in shooter game. Wish they polish narrative in future release.
Interesting nah
Gameplay and level design go hand in hand, and because of the lenient difficulty and standard gameplay loop many aspects of the level design present in DOOD are rendered redundant
Of course presenting mini-Q3A maps as singleplayer levels can be interesting if you have the enemies and/or AI to back it up, which wasn't really the case here, on top of the retarded decision to spawn poorly thought-out enemy formations with no regard for accounting possible player behaviors and interesting encounter design (what if I place enemy X here and enemy Y there with groups of enemy Z to surround the player? that'd make for an interesting situation, how would the player react?). But even if that actually was the case, I didn't notice because of the repetitive gameplay (let alone the many filler sections which connect the actual combat sections). DOOM's level design is potentially interesting as in its potential was wasted.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Durandal ,
it's quite hard to make a large organic design similar to this and run it in engine. I've tried. If you have your own working engine and resources, you are "unlimited" with possibilities in level, system and gameplay designs. Try to recreate something similar in the engine you have and you'll understand the power of this engine.

82142295.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Carmack's final gift to gaming, wasted for some barely competent pile of crap with shit art design. And to add insult to injury, the engine is now property of Bethesda and they can use it on all their garbage and take all the credit for it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
All that engine superiority and yet it doesn't look like clear, contrasted, boldly colored environments of Doom. In fact it looks like generic-looking monochrome shit, ironically designed around its looks rather than gameplay.

Carmack's final gift to gaming, wasted for some barely competent pile of crap with shit art design. And to add insult to injury, the engine is now property of Bethesda and they can use it on all their garbage and take all the credit for it.
I don't know the extent of Carmack's involvement with id tech 6. I don't think the game looks particularly good and it certainly doesn't produce the same impact that Doom 3 did, for example - for all its faults (and I do think Doom 3 is a shit game), it looked very impressive upon release, especially the realtime stencil shadows. D44M looks awfully generic.

Durandal

Arcane
Durandal ,
it's quite hard to make a large organic design similar to this and run it in engine. I've tried. If you have your own working engine and resources, you are "unlimited" with possibilities in level, system and gameplay designs. Try to recreate something similar in the engine you have and you'll understand the power of this engine.
Oh, you were talking about the art design. The generic Quake 2-ish superserious-sci-fi-with-hell-mixed-in-but-none-of-the-90's-charm-of-the-original art design. The personality-less 'how does one make a comic book about this game' art design. The 'color theory is for chumps, boring repetitive color palette with bright badly-contrasting colored lights all the way' art design.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know the extent of Carmack's involvement with id tech 6. I don't think the game looks particularly good and it certainly doesn't produce the same impact that Doom 3 did, for example - for all its faults (and I do think Doom 3 is a shit game), it looked very impressive upon release, especially the realtime stencil shadows. D44M looks awfully generic.

I put the fault on that on the devs being unable to take advantage of all the engine has to offer. And for the record, the power of the engine can be seen more clearly during actual play than by looking at screenshots. It is in the way all the effects integrate into a coherent whole. It is in the way the engine moves, the fluidity and stability despite the high amount of technical tricks on display:

Those are all pretty much tell tale signs of an id engine. I don't really know how much Carmack can be credited for making this but i think his influence is still there in some form.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well, it's way better than RAGE and Nu-Wolf so at least they're improving. :M

Also on the subject of the art, it manages to look half cool when it does the infested UAC thing with the blood pools, pentagrams and corpses hanging from the walls. Too bad hell looks like cartoony shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom