Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

tormund

Arcane
Kind of suprised you guys puted razorfist's review of DOOM but not of this guy.

He says that he didn't like arena shooters because they remove resource management (which is not exactly true), and then he praises resource management in the new Doom, which is effectively non-existent because of the fact that you can refill your health and ammo with a button press at any time.

Another odd thing is that he in the end recommends that people play the game on highest difficulty without upgrades or takedowns. It's odd because I saw people complaining, from posters in this thread to journos themselves, how the game is tightly balanced "around" takedowns on higher difficulties, given the health and ammo bonus they give, and same goes about game assuming that player has been upgrading his weapons...

This ties into two fallacies that are very common among new "PC gaming master-race", one being that it is enough to turn off or ignore all the "new shit" in order for any new AAA game to play exactly like older or PC-first one, another being that harder always = better no matter what.

Cadmus

Arcane
Kind of suprised you guys puted razorfist's review of DOOM but not of this guy.

He says that he didn't like arena shooters because they remove resource management (which is not exactly true), and then he praises resource management in the new Doom, which is effectively non-existent because of the fact that you can refill your health and ammo with a button press at any time.

Another odd thing is that he in the end recommends that people play the game on highest difficulty without upgrades or takedowns. It's odd because I saw people complaining, from posters in this thread to journos themselves, how the game is tightly balanced "around" takedowns on higher difficulties, given the health and ammo bonus they give, and same goes about game assuming that player has been upgrading his weapons...

This ties into two fallacies that are very common among new "PC gaming master-race", one being that it is enough to turn off or ignore all the "new shit" in order for any new AAA game to play exactly like older or PC-first one, another being that harder always = better no matter what.

He hasn't tried it so he's talking out of his arsehole. I suppose it would hardly even work. I tried doing it in the Demo and it was pretty difficult for me but that's just after 30 mins of playing so maybe it's ok.
What you say about the fallacy "just ignore it man, just turn off the quest compass in Skyrim man" is completely right, it pisses me off because it makes no fucking sense the way the games are built.

DraQ

Arcane
As far as I can see the worst part of nu-dum is that there is a lot of shit in it that breaks aesthetics.
Glory kill visual cues and resulting loot pinatas for starters.

No matter how well or badly the game itself works, DooM has always been largely about minced meat, not glowy "finish him" shaders and glowy pickups all over your fucking screen.
Also about environments getting progressively more surreal, which is also something nu-dum fails to deliver.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Meanwhile, you can try my first Doom map instead of playing D44M: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7np4l5be41w1ev/hund.zip
skacky and sexbad? played the early version and liked it. ;)

Just look at dem screenshots.
0ow5TWL.png

sbtCxDe.png

aPJTemU.png

pnPVNYZ.png

EDIT: Get the slightly updated version here >> http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-first-doom-map.109577/

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is already selling for $28 at non-shady download sites. Will probably be $10 in a year or less.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not bad. Just picked this up for 26 bucks. Pretty cheap. Now for some doom shootin'

People rating this comment: Diagnosis: BUTTHURT :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadmus

Arcane
You know, if it ran better on my PC I'd probably get it just for the few hours of shooting.
Are there actually any decent singleplayer shooters like this? I think I played all the good ones already and I don't want no open world shit, Far Cry 2 was my limit.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You know, if it ran better on my PC I'd probably get it just for the few hours of shooting.
Are there actually any decent singleplayer shooters like this? I think I played all the good ones already and I don't want no open world shit, Far Cry 2 was my limit.

"Hard Reset" has been remastered, and it looks pretty darn good. Nice weaponry feel, and destructible environments too - on superficial cosmetic level, but still better than what most FPS bother with these days.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If there's one problem I have with Flying Wild Hog games its that NEARLY EVERY BACKGROUND OBJECT IS FUCKING EXPLOSIVE AND WILL EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE
I've already died several times in Shadow Warrior because some of my attacks unintentionally caused me to ignite nearby cars and arcade machines. This is less of a problem later on in Shadow Warrior, though I remember this still being the case everywhere in Hard Reset
Also, expect to explore every empty corner of the level for currency in order to be able to buy any new weapon or upgrade

tormund

Arcane
Eh, I hated Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior reboot was actually an improvement over it. Visually drab Painkiller-like with bullet sponge robotic enemies, meaning very little visceral satisfaction from combat. And as said above, lots of explosive/damaging objects in the environment, plus some enemies that explode when killed. It also had forced and unnecessary upgrade system just like their Shadow Warrior reboot.

Durandal

Arcane
Hard Reset and nuShadow Warrior are really fucking pretty to look at, unlike nuDooms uninspired bland environments
And both games at least tried to do something original gameplay-wise, even though the execution tends to be somewhat hit 'n miss, whereas nuDoom is only a modern interpretation of Quake 2

I'm playing through nuSW right now, and I could tell someone in a lead position must've really liked Borderlands, as it has the same loot crates everywhere containing shit for loot with the same Skinner box principle, and it'd make a whole lot of sense for the direction they're going in with SW2

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Quake 2 wasn't a retarded Serious Sam clone. It didn't rely on spawning or locking arenas. It actually had co-op with saving and loading. Its set-pieces never took control away from the player. Its multiplayer was actually pretty good.

D44M is far more declined than Quake 2.

Durandal

Arcane
I said Quake 2 since ORANGE 'N BLOOM comes to mind when I think about D44M, though it's more like Painkiller with an additional vertical layer which functions as a get-out-of-jail-free card

Israfael

Arcane
It costed only 20 jewgold in one of the local shops so i bought it. First impressions (i'm in an "Advanced research facility" level or one after that):
- if it had something different from a 'doom' label on it, i'd say it's a pretty good game, something in between SSams (how the general gameplay works - lull - action - lull) and Unreal (mostly because of jumps and skaarj-y imps).

Positive sides: despite game'y feel, weapon variety and addon system is kinda nice, every weapon, apart from pistol, is useful in one or another way (some people who complained about the plasmagun never played on higher difficulties, i guess, where it is a lifesaver in tight spots).
- Some monsters, like baron of hell and pinky, actually feel authentic and close to the source, while some others (especially the imp, ugh, this has 148% teenage spiderman (the series that followed after the 90-ies TAS) feel all written on top of it).
- game does not take its plot too seriously (scientological satan worshippers? seriously MachineGames ID),
- good verticality in some levels, some feel too linear though
- well optimized, especially with Vulkan - going at steady 100-120 fps on my 3 years old R9 290

Bad/Ugly things:
- With all things said, i'd rank it even below Doom 3 (although i never considered D3 bad game in its own right - for some reason the interactive displays and 'explore mars' thing pulled me in), on par with Q2/Q4 - it's basically a Quake remake with some SSam/Unreal slapped on top of it, "gud for what it is"
- Doom guy is too slow, he's even slower than Sam in SS3, and he was somewhat slow compared to Q1 and TFE/TSE.
- This slowness and somewhat high mob toughness leads to the 'cat and mouse' gameplay with you leading as the mouse. Sometimes it's fun, but with some other features of the game, it becomes tedious in several spots
- Consolitis - no way to skip 'rawr i'm bad monster' intros when you enter next arena, no way to speed up the game process in some other spots where you can die easily, no manual saves
- Game has serious memory leaks, it ate through 16gb of RAM in approx 8 hours and caused system crash. Don't they do QA these days? It's not Batman:AK kind of bad, but still, ID was always (apart from Rage) delivering well optimized games until this one
- Some texture popping, not at rage / batman ak levels, but still present.
- the amount of ammunition you carry in the beginning will make many people seriously consider that the developers of this game are dumb - what's the point of it? To make you waste 5 hooka ball thingies on ammo capacity?
- lots of unnecessary loading
- rune system is pointless (and some challenges are piss easy, only few are good - like the double jump one which taught me how to do it)
- super bad imp model - it's so bad that you can uninstall the game after seeing the imp 'introduction'

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Wait it ate through 16gb of ram? That is strange, it only used around 4-4.5 gb for me at all times.

Also why do people hate the imp model so much? I thought it was quite well donr

Israfael

Arcane
Wait it ate through 16gb of ram? That is strange, it only used around 4-4.5 gb for me at all times.

Also why do people hate the imp model so much? I thought it was quite well donr
Maybe it is only on vulkan, i dont know

It reminds me of xcom sectoids, an abomination of a game, and newer spiderman, oriented at kids instead of college students and having edgy and childish graphics instead of comic book looks. Thats why for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom