Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Haraldur

Augur
I think I found the target audience:

It is (not) interesting that the one least impressed with the Doom 4 preview was the only one that had played the original Doom before.

Divinity: Original Sin
They didn't realized they actually were having fun playing original doom. Except for that girl who actually played the game. Probably because of her parents who weren't such pussies to hide good games from her.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like graphics don't matter. All the kids enjoy themselves.

Edit:

Oh okay, ending of the video...

Riskbreaker

It is (not) interesting that the one least impressed with the Doom 4 preview was the only one that had played the original Doom before.

"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to Death's other Kingdom
Remember us—if at all—not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
"

ArchAngel

Arcane

They let them play with a mouse, that is not how Doom1 was played :D

Mustawd

Would date Asian chick....just stop saying "brah", and we're good.

EDIT: Never mind. She's a retard. Would only hit it and quit it.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Trailer starts off with super muscled Doomguy naked and in chains.

Clearly they were designing this with Sexbad in mind.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Most of this video is actually kind of heartening. I was late to the party because I played very few computer games when I was younger, and I wasn't allowed anything with gore, but it isn't hard to find stories of people picking up something like the original Doom and just being astonished at every turn.

This looks like sort of the same phenomenon but from a retrospective point of view. Some of them seem fascinated at points that Gears of War does X, but this thing from 22 years prior did X, Y, and Z. Now it's only kind of heartening since it's an ad for a much less intricate game, but regardless it shows how introducing some child to a staple like Doom or maybe RollerCoaster Tycoon or Fallout can actually spark the child's imagination.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How do I aim up and kill those things?

To us grognards that grew up with Doom, this sounds retarded. But to someone who's never played the original Doom, this is the most basic thing to say. In fact, I knew it would come up somewhere in the video.

The fact that a 3D landscape is presented in a FPS, yet the game auto-aims for you on the vertical axis, is counter-intuitive. Back then it was due to a mix of technological limitations and game design decisions, but the possibility to aim along the vertical axis already existed before Doom was released, and became a standard of the genre less than a year later.

This is something that needs to be pointed out to new Classic Doom-players - but it's pretty much the only thing that needs to be.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

it's painfull to watch females play

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I don't know what the ultimatefighter@ thing is but it's obviously a paid ad even if the teenager one isn't cut to hell to be one too. How many times can you say, 'run and gun'? At least the kids were using their brains a some points and were able to articulate some of their feelings instead of mindlessly repeating the script that some PR shit gave them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom