Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

dunno lah

Arcane
Can you even run? I've never seen any shift-pressing at all.

Leechmonger

Arbiter

Last couple of games that really immersed me were Halo: Combat Evolved, Metroid Prime, Halo 3, Halo: Reach (the ending made me cry, not going to lie... Noble 6 sacrificed himself for Reach... a brave soldier he was indeed.), Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Doom 64, Majora's Mask 3D, and of course...

Wait for it...

Mario 3D World! :D

Well said, "DoomzRules".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I found the target audience:

It is (not) interesting that the one least impressed with the Doom 4 preview was the only one that had played the original Doom before.

it's painfull to watch females play

Actually the girl who played Doom before is the only one who plays it halfway competently.
Some of the others don't even seem to know that holding down your fire button instead of clicking for every single shot is a thing :lol:

How do I aim up and kill those things?

To us grognards that grew up with Doom, this sounds retarded. But to someone who's never played the original Doom, this is the most basic thing to say. In fact, I knew it would come up somewhere in the video.

The fact that a 3D landscape is presented in a FPS, yet the game auto-aims for you on the vertical axis, is counter-intuitive. Back then it was due to a mix of technological limitations and game design decisions, but the possibility to aim along the vertical axis already existed before Doom was released, and became a standard of the genre less than a year later.

This is something that needs to be pointed out to new Classic Doom-players - but it's pretty much the only thing that needs to be.

I really don't know why most source ports today still come with the default scheme, rather than having WASD, mouselook and always run. It's basically the first thing anyone knowledgable about DOOM changes and for newbies "fixing" these problems requires going through around 100 different configuration options across several categories and sub-categories.

I guess there's probably a few true grognards who still want mouselook off but I can't imagine anyone wanting arrow keys, inability to strafe well, and needing to hold down a key to move fast in a game where you always want to move fast.

Mustawd

But to someone who's never played the original Doom, this is the most basic thing to say. In fact, I knew it would come up somewhere in the video.

Back in the day it was called "figure it out by trial and error". What a concept.
and um, thats exactly what they appear to do

Not really. The girl who said "how do I look up?" never actually figured it out and kept on going through the level. The one who did was the girl who had played it before.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Id Software's Doom reboot comes out next Friday, 13th May, and publisher Bethesda Softworks has revealed the PC system specs as well as the exact times you'll be able to start playing.

The PC system requirements are as follows:

Minimum:

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better.
8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better.
Contains a single disc. Download of additional files from Steam (total amount 45 GB) is required to run the game.
Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap.

Recommended:

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better.
8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better.
Contains a single disc. Download of additional files from Steam (total amount 45 GB) is required to run the game.
Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap.

Bethesda noted that it will provide links next week to the officially supported AMD and NVIDIA drivers.

Time-wise, European players will be able to play Doom starting at midnight GMT, while those in North America will gain access to it at midnight EST. Thus West coasters will be able to play as early as 9pm Thursday night.

Pre-loading will begin 48 hours earlier on Wednesday, 11th May, at midnight. Bethesda noted that the PS4 and Xbox One versions will take roughly 50GB to install.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If those system reqs are real, we're less than a week away from a massive explosion of butthurt.

Anyway, as retarded as the game obviously is, it still looks less boring than Doom 3 and Quake 4.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's entirely possible that they said there are no Megatextures just to please people who had problems with them previously, but the technology is still there under a different name. I didn't notice any tiling in the multiplayer maps I played. It's either that or they just have a fuckton of unique assets.

Israfael

Arcane
As in uncompressed 1080p cutscenes? I can't fathom anything else that can weight so much

Amazing that a game that looks so meh visually actually has min requirements in excess of my system. wtf.

It's entirely possible that they said there are no Megatextures just to please people who had problems with them previously, but the technology is still there under a different name. I didn't notice any tiling in the multiplayer maps I played. It's either that or they just have a fuckton of unique assets.

There's no real difference from the player's perspective between megatextures and unique individual textures. But most likely things are 99% the same and the difference will be that video cards and drivers are more ready to handle it. Or not, wait and see.

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
As in uncompressed 1080p cutscenes? I can't fathom anything else that can weight so much
Maybe they pulled a Titanfall and put uncompressed audio for all languages in by default, in that game's case it ended up being 35 GB of a 48 GB file size.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom