Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Alfons

Prophet
If the takedowns are high-risk high-reward like in Serious Sam 3 then I have no problem with the mechanic.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seems like people/AI already delivered so I only drop this.

tumblr_npysuuAubk1r5x7c3o1_1280.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
Talk about a vapid outrage culture.

This level of extreme decline shouldn't be considered normal. It's not an excuse to say it's expected because 2015. That's the problem.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if the game pauses in multiplayer every time the player needs to switch a weapon. This game seems to be all show, no substance. And the fucking take downs got old for me already just by watching this video. Imagine having to do that shit through out the whole game.

Yep. What's the purpose of that radial gun menu? Lol, it does nothing but hinders the gameplay.

And well, you don't HAVE to do take downs if you don't want to. It might be the optimal way to play but. :M

It looked OK, too bad level design seems to be the usual, shit.

Will we have access to same amount of customization like we did for the old Id tech games? I guess all of this stuff is still open to speculation.

Alfons

Prophet
I don't get it, is interest in feminism is dwindling among SJW's? Why is she trying to appeal to the "games shouldn't be violent" crowd?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Why is she trying to appeal to the "games shouldn't be violent" crowd?

Anything to get more clicks/ attention. These twatter personalities make even the slimiest tabloids look decent and intelligent.

Last edited:

Chamezero

why in god's name does the shotgun take like 3 hours to reload?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Meh at best. /yawn

Being better than Doom 3 doesn't take much but after all those years we have a right to expect more.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The takedowns seemed optional as they did shoot a few guys that were 'glowy'.

But yes, 'takedowns' in general have always been lame. Deus Ex, Hatred, Doom, it doesn't matter, eventually they get old as fuck.

Dayyālu

Arcane
It looked OK, too bad level design seems to be the usual, shit.

Well, it looks like there could be something under the hood to make at least an adequate game, but the level design and the gameplay speed are indeed rather terrible from these videos. I hope to be proven wrong (the Doom name is dear to me) but with the contemporary level design this will only be mediocre at best if they keep this up, like the new Wolfensteins. The monsters are both in sound and graphics kinda generic, and there are too few of 'em. Soundtrack is terrible, though.

Of all the thing that they took from Brutal Doom, they took the derpiest aspect: the executions and the violence. In BD they are sometimes fun, but you are free to stop them. A single little button press disables executions in BD if you don't need them. On the other hand, they should have tried to take inspiration from the mechanics: I don't play stock Doom, BD or Demonsteele for slow action against five foes max. Make it fast. Make it continuous. Make the player choose quickly between weapons, priorities and location.

This Doom looks like Underwater Doom.

Multiplayer looks almost proming, however.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
:negative:

Skyrim looks like Oblivion
Fallout 4 looks like Fallout 3
Doom 4 looks like Doom 3

But whatever, let's not be graphics whores. The visual style of the environment is kinda impressing, but still Doom 3 all over again. A lot of "boomm" and "whomz".

However gameplay looks veeeeery boring and repetitive. I will certainly not play this game except a cooperative campaign is possible. Is coop planned?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looked generic as hell to me, not impressed at all. Not even the gore looked anything special.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Maybe it's because I've been playing Killing Floor 2 too much, I found the whole gore aspect rather tamed here. Shooting looked weak too.

Riskbreaker

Somewhat faster-paced Doom 3 with seemingly better movement, and BD-grade cheesy gore.
Let's be honest here: 'Tis the best you were going to get at this point, and by a large margin.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Somewhat faster-paced Doom 3 with seemingly better movement, and BD-grade cheesy gore.
Let's be honest here: 'Tis the best you were going to get at this point, and by a large margin.

I still don't understand why they can't even TRY to experiment with the level design. Like PS4 and Xbone are not excuses for not having proper levels, they can handle it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom