Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I really hope it is not "dark and gritty", but at the same time I do not want it to be deliberately cheesy and "self-aware". I can't imagine the developers not straying in one or the other direction. Despite whatever flaws Doom 3 may have had I appreciated the fact that it played itself completely straight.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Never forget:

dLUicne.png

(These game connoisseurs witnessed the super secret Brûtal Doom 4 reveal last year.)

:hmmm:

Our ROTT was a straight 90s remake

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Call of DOOty video: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-video-for-cancelled-doom-4-revealed

A video for the cancelled Doom 4 has been revealed - and it shows a very different take on id Software's iconic first-person shooter series.

The video, below, was posted to Doom World, and showcases the now-scrapped Doom game id had worked on prior to 2012. (Careful, the audio is pretty terrible.)

Development on Doom 4 was restarted after the earlier version failed to hit the mark. The Doom 4 initially in production at id was simply "not Doom 4", publisher Bethesda's marketing exec Pete Hines said in 2013. Based on the video, we can see what he means.

The video shows a number of soldiers in a grim, war-torn environment. It reminds us of Guerrilla Games' Killzone series, with a splash of id Software's Rage and a dash, perhaps, of Call of Duty. Not very Doom, though.

"It wasn't one thing," added id Software studio director Tim Willits. "It wasn't like the art was bad, or the programming was bad. Every game has a soul. Every game has a spirit. When you played Rage, you got the spirit. And [Doom] did not have the spirit, it did not have the soul, it didn't have a personality. It had a bit of schizophrenia, a little bit of an identity crisis. It didn't have the passion and soul of what an id game is. Everyone knows the feeling of Doom, but it's very hard to articulate."

id began work on a "new version" of Doom 4 in late 2011 after previous release Rage didn't meet sales expectations. Production on a Rage sequel was rumoured to have been canned and DLC plans scaled back.

"If it was like the quintessential, 'yup, that's Doom 4,' then we wouldn't be having this conversation," Hines said. "But, it was something that we looked at and the id guys looked at and said, look, it's not even that something is necessarily bad. But is it good enough?"

The new video includes footage that, according to Kotaku, was intended to form a trailer for Doom. It was developed by production company Blur Studio, famous for its fancy video game cinematics work.

Riskbreaker

Our ROTT was a straight 90s remake

giphy.gif
Well, he probably does think that their ROTT is a "straight 90s remake:retarded:", maybe even superior to original game, same way he and others like him believe that say TNO or Bulletstorm are "old-school" shooters.
These guys understand those games about as much as your average indie platformer dev "gets" 16 bit platformers.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really hope it is not "dark and gritty", but at the same time I do not want it to be deliberately cheesy and "self-aware". I can't imagine the developers not straying in one or the other direction. Despite whatever flaws Doom 3 may have had I appreciated the fact that it played itself completely straight.

The problem with Doom 3 was it never felt like a proper sequel to the series. The new horror element and tight corridors combined with the flashlight binary mechanism where you want to see something get really boring after some time. All those cheap spawning of monsters where you took a weapon or item were very lazy design. After awhile it's not freightening, I was feeling like in some purgatory with "and now the monster will come from the left/right/behind me. Just compare it with any older levels, they had some theme or something more distinctive that made them memorable (Tricks & Traps blew me off with it's simple, yet interesting approach). And last but not least - you always have more space to navigate and fight with more numbers of monsters. Sure, the AI of them now isn't something incredible. It's not Fear but I'll take that arcade "kill xxx monsters" approach than some bland new version that is just a waste of a good engine which Doom 3 had.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
PC hardware just couldn't handle large open levels with dozens of monsters in Doom 3.

It's all the console's fault lel.
The madmen at id Software managed to get Doom 3 running on the HUEG though. If the HUEG can handle linear levels of Doom 3, then the PC should've been able to get Serious Sam-sized levels. But they just wanted to show off the dynamic lighting, and you don't have time to appreciate lighting when you're slaughtering dozens of demons.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now that I think about it, most games developed on the id Tech 4 engine were all corridor shooters of some kind (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Wolfenstein).

Tehdagah

Arcane
Can't wait for the full hitscan enemies and guns taking up 1/4th of screen reveal.
After Wolfenstein New Order idea of "old school" design of making Call of Duty without regenerating health but with med packs on 5 cms intervals and bullet spongy enemies everywhere, I could care less about Doom 4 "old school".
Doom 2 was filled with hitscan enemies and bullet sponges.

Since they are using BD as a source of inspiration, I suppose Doom 4 will feature contextual damage like headshots. Also, melee finishers have been already confirmed. No sponge enemies this time around.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Agree 100%.

I want them to take the absolutely ridiculous premise (Space Marine goes to Hell and fights demons with a shotgun) and just do it 100% straight.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Now that I think about it, most games developed on the id Tech 4 engine were all corridor shooters of some kind (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Wolfenstein).
I remember I built a few open areas in the editor, and the performance was ranging from "nice" to "slideshow", and the biggest problem was the amount of enemies (100+) + dynamic lighting.
A strong PC might handle the hordes of enemies without much of a hassle, but still, the engine leaves a lot to be desired.

dunno lah

Arcane
doom_rev_compare.0.jpeg

I think the Revenant looks alright. Not what I had hoped for (the classic, "bare-bones" skeleton with muscle cuirass), but it's alright by me. The head is the most ugly part, really. Skull needs to be cleaner. And with NO EYES...

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It is not like the Doom formula is hard to figure out. What the fuck is so difficult about getting it right?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Oh noes, just noticed this one. Looking forward to see is it actually a PC game or just a console port (yeah I think we already know).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It is not like the Doom formula is hard to figure out. What the fuck is so difficult about getting it right?

Yeah it's only a classic game that's being modded to this day while dozens of others failed to recapture its fun value and popularity. Just how hard is to recreate that, amirite

:kingcomrade:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Getting the Doom formula right is VERY difficult. The problem is that developers don't get the formula at all, and this ought to be the easy part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom