Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The humor is pretty similar though.

Psquit

Arcane
Fuckley thread?
scoliosis_kamoc.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about sound and thiefs - it remind me that the audio quality in thi4f is worse (bitrate and else) than the original Thief 1/2.
Brb, going play new version of The Dark Mod.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
http://www.dsp.agh.edu.pl/en:research:rayav#.VALJMxZJmUl

*THIS* is the kind of shit I wanna have in mah DOOM every game. Audio is so underrated.

I wonder if this audio engine could be implemented for The Dark Mod?

That video is a pretty bad example of the effect, imho, because the gameplay footage at the end sounds like a mess. However, they linked to another video that shows off the tech more flatteringly:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
CAD is essentially a continuous story line with sporadic "funnies", the latter being divided into jokes about games (most of them falling into the "nonmedy" category, but having the virtue of actually being about games), and stuff which fed into the "lol random" or avant-gard crowd. So basically the comic is pretty much unreadable on top of being unfunny, only occasionally coming up with something humorous, like this:

cad-20050219-d09b3.jpg

Too bad he had to ruin it by spelling out the punch line.

DefJam101

Arcane
To me, CTRL+ALT+DEL is like Penny Arcade except with jokes that actually make sense. But maybe that's why everybody hates it. Clean, simple jokes are too old fashioned in this day and age. You need edgy or trololo random if you want to be taken seriously, just like Penny Arcade.
What the fuck am I reading

CAD has zero comedic timing, creativity, or originality. It's like watching an autist try to do stand-up. That's why people hate it. It's not the most awful webcomic ever, it's just aggressively mediocre in every way... which is worse than being terrible, because you can't even laugh at how bad it is.

Oh yeah, and the sterile, lazy art style, too.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i wasn't trying to argue that it was good. Only that the hatred towards it seems to be pretty out of proportion coming from people who actually like Penny Arcade and similarly shitty comics. The only difference to me seems to be that CAD isn't as good at hiding its shittiness because of its straightforward humor. I guess for a moment there i placed my hatred for random humor above my good judgement. Also, the last time i had seen a CAD panel was in 2004, so my memory of it was a bit... warped. I tried to read a few just now and its just fucking awful. :negative:

I liked the Doom one though. :M

Perkel

Arcane
Shown at QuakeCon.

It is called "DOOM"

IdTech6 1080p@60fps

" Ultrabrutal "
" quick "
" gore "
" no cover mechanic "
" no regenerating health "
" yellow card system in place just with people hands instead of cards "
" gore "
" gore "
" classik enemies "
" fast as original doom "
" shoot monsters and crush their heads under your foot"
" gore "

No footage. Zenimax nazi police everywhere.

After New Order looks like ID finally stopped trying to find themselves in new word and do what they should do in first place make proper FPS games.

Perkel

Arcane
Do you have gameplay footage? Sounds like something I might like.

Zenimax nazi police stopped any kind of video releasing apparently. But people say it looks more or less like reveal:

Though it was CGI and those fucktards are journalists so who knows.

It is IdTech6 which is new engine compared to IdTech5 (new order) so graphic update is to be expected.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Shown at QuakeCon.
" yellow card system in place just with people hands instead of cards "

Translation:
We're replacing unique key system with universal keys, mini- games or other absurd. Forget about maps- mazes player is supposed to traverse several times, inevitable in old design. Straight corridor. Our employees maybe do have some brain cells, but we simply ain't gonna spend time on complicated maps. It's making our primary target group uncomfortable. Dumb teenagers suffering from severe ADHD and lazy old farts. After all it's serious business we're doing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Because being retarded is the new cool.

but it still is being retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom