Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I didn't see plastic in Crysis 1 skin/faces... which was actually very welcome. I don't know the other 2 parts though.

Well, there's your answer.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
images

Another cacodemon plushie incoming.

:love:

pippin

Those cacodemons look like they were forced out of Hell's retirement home, and you can almost hear them say "this shit again? it was better in the 90s. just let me die".

DraQ

Arcane
Why does everything by beth look like plasticine now?
Fallout looks like bright plasticine, and doom looks like slightly less bright plasticine.
NeverHooD: Hell on Derp Earth.

Anyway, the gameplay looks awful and boring for the exact same reasons Q2 was, the visuals look banal and ugly for the exact same reasons Oblivion was, everything looks oversaturated with pointless crap and eyecandy for eyecandy's sake in the exact same way UT3 did and overall the single element I actually liked without any sort of reservation was the Doomguy's helmet.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Gameplay looks like slo-mo CoD with gore. And gore is over the top. I mean I'm cool with it - as long as it doesn't stand in the way of mah fun. Who'd want to watch a takedown cutscene every 3 seconds?

Doom 3 was unbearably boring but I think it was an honest attempt. This is nothing but a blatant cash grab.

Doom 3 becomes perfectly playable once you tweak walking/running speed. It is not a great game, but it is an ok shooter if you forget the name "Doom". I'm gonna bet that despite the "old school" facade, this one is going to be worse.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Anyway, the gameplay looks awful and boring for the exact same reasons Q2 was, the visuals look banal and ugly for the exact same reasons Oblivion was, everything looks oversaturated with pointless crap and eyecandy for eyecandy's sake in the exact same way UT3 was and overall the single element I actually liked without any sort of reservation was the Doomguy's helmet.

Please, Q2 gameplay shits all over this turtle-paced console crap, the only similarity is that both games seem to be easy (though Q2 atleast doesn't slow time when you switch weapons) but that's about it .

DraQ

Arcane
Anyway, the gameplay looks awful and boring for the exact same reasons Q2 was, the visuals look banal and ugly for the exact same reasons Oblivion was, everything looks oversaturated with pointless crap and eyecandy for eyecandy's sake in the exact same way UT3 was and overall the single element I actually liked without any sort of reservation was the Doomguy's helmet.

Please, Q2 gameplay shits all over this turtle-paced console crap, the only similarity is that both games seem to be easy (though Q2 atleast doesn't slow time when you switch weapons) but that's about it .
Actually, it's quite similar. The AI seems just as inept and incapable of reacting swiftly or hitting the player even if they have hitscan weapons.
The resulting gameplay is similarly just running around executing helpless foes.

pippin

I completed Quake 2 numerous times, but it was a completely dull experience after the greatness of the first one. Quake 2 felt like a big tech demo.
At least Quake 3 had good multiplayer fun, fast paced and frantic. A little more like Quake 1 used to be.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Haven't read the thread, but what makes the new Doom game a Doom game? Is it only the name being used for marketing purposes, or does any of the monsters, weapons and - most importantly - gameplay still feature in the game?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Actually, it's quite similar. The AI seems just as inept and incapable of reacting swiftly or hitting the player even if they have hitscan weapons.
The resulting gameplay is similarly just running around executing helpless foes.

You're talking about AI, that's only one gameplay component. Movement, gunplay/weapon feel, enemy hit reaction, sound and visuals etc (all of which Q2 does well). from what little I've seen so far these devs are completely inept at getting the old-school FPS gameplay feel right, they just inserted the ridiculously over-the-top gore and thought that would do the trick.

It looks like a modern console shooter through and through, AI is only one of its many problems visible in these few videos they've shown. They can't even get the basics right.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Haven't read the thread, but what makes the new Doom game a Doom game? Is it only the name being used for marketing purposes, or does any of the monsters, weapons and - most importantly - gameplay still feature in the game?
There are all the guns you'd expect, chainsaw, imps and other enemies that look vaguely like what'd you expect a 3D representation of Doom monsters to look like.

But the gamplay looks nothing like Doom 1/2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The issue with Quake 2 is that they made the "proper" difficulty setting hidden. You have to manually type skill 3 on the console and than load the first map (base1). Regular "hard" setting is really just normal.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

Sigh, again. Are you aware that on average console games are faster in gameplay pace than PC games, and console shooters before the decline used to be fast paced also? It isn't console crap, it is modern crap. I've been seeing the same garbage released on PC that I have on console since the mid 2000's, and again, all the snail pace games ORIGINATED ON PC FFS.
Call of Duty, Crysis, Counter Strike, Far Cry, Battlefield and so on. :roll:

How these facts conveniently slip the minds of the blind...the decline is universal, friend.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
CyberP Maybe you're right, it's just that mouse and keyboard are always gonna be far more suited to playing a FPS than any type of gamepad and some of the FPS series declined considerably in quality when they went multiplatform, F.E.A.R being the most recent example.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Presentations at E3 are necessarily slow. You can't have someone quick-scoping and 360-shooting without everyone watching the big screen wanting to vomit. It also doesn't show off the graphics and all that jazz. Nobody actually plays a game so methodically as to walk around, slowly looking at random crap. I still think the multiplayer clips which had guys bouncing around pretty fast is a better indication of how fast the game might be. Not a 100% certainty by any means, but I think it's a bit much to look too far into any E3 presentation without understanding that it's theater first and everything else second.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
ZagorTeNej: Is it though? As someone that plays games on PC, consoles and handhelds (not mobile though), I see the benefits where they lie. M+K has the precision of the mouse and numerous keys allowing for greater gameplay depth (that is rarely taken advantage of, sadly), console pads have the precision of the left stick (far more superior to simplistic WASD), all controls immediately at your fingertips so you can for example use inputs without taking your hand off of WASD/movement, pressure sensitive buttons as well as vibration functionality which makes shooting more visceral. I see optimal future of gaming control being on a gamepad that features: A) precision of the mouse, and B) more buttons.
M+K is designed primarily for typing and software interface interaction, pads are designed primarily for gaming.

don't get me wrong I am a PC-first gamer as you surely know (although I just emulate everything these days because fuck supporting console manufacturers), but I just get tired of the constant misinformation on the net.

CyberPand some of the FPS series declined considerably in quality when they went multiplatform, F.E.A.R being the most recent example.

Commercialization. It would have happened to PC too if it were the most popular platform (as it should be).
Well, it has happened to PC of course. Even the "old school" principled kickstarter devs are cashing in with lackluster crap. And don't get me started on Steam. All depends on the devs and their principles, as well as the mindset of the publishers.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You just be using your third hand (penis) to play too. :D Rebinding helps though of course, but reaching 8-0 hotkeys and F keys if they are used is a pain.

Machocruz

Arcane
You have a greater range of motion with a mouse, which is where the speed and agility come from in turning and target acquisition. Finger movement cannot compete with that allowed by the wrist, elbow, and shoulder joints. The limitations of the controller are the limitations of the thumb. WASD and left thumbstick movement are about equal as far as FPS are concerned.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Machocruz said:
You have a greater range of motion with a mouse, which is where the speed and agility come from in turning and target acquisition. Finger movement cannot compete with that allowed by the wrist, elbow, and shoulder joints. The limitations of the controller are the limitations of the thumb.

Objectively true. Some of it anyway.

WASD and left thumbstick movement are about equal as far as FPS are concerned

Objectively false. Left stick is pressure sensitive, so walk key is essentially integrated and can allow for varying degrees of movement speed. Left stick also has an angular resolution of what, 32? WASD has 8. So you can walk in 32 different precise directions with the stick, 8 on WASD.

Machocruz

Arcane
Objectively false. Left stick is pressure sensitive, so walk key is essentially integrated and can allow for varying degrees of movement speed. Left stick also has an angular resolution of what, 32? WASD has 8. So you can walk in 32 different precise directions with the stick, 8 on WASD.
Haven't played a FPS in a while, but doesn't mouse handle the turning too? Left hand only needs to operate forward/backward/left strafe/right strafe, and I can do that just as quickly on keyboard as a pad. Varying degrees of movement speed don't matter in DOOM as we know it. For stealth games or games where precision is based on movement speed, thumbstick is more efficient/convenient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom