Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DraQ

Arcane
The Human Revolution lead had everyone play DX1 before they started on the game.
And they still failed by going for formulaic, neatly segregated paths rather than letting everything flow more organically.
It was a really good game, but DX1 it was not, especially in terms of levels.

They would have to have not just played DX1 but played *with* DX1, learning how everything was put together and worked together for that to work.

Looks to be the best you could reasonably expect from a shooter these days. Which isn't saying much.

Gunplay looks just as slow and designed for consoles/controllers as any other game. Mostly linear levels that all look exactly the same, as we all expected. At least the guns sound and feel fairly powerful, unlike Doom 3.

I'm actually not too against the gore aspect. The finishers look to be pretty quick, which is my main complaint when this shit is overblown. Several seconds of animations would be horrible, even worse when the game has to give invincibility to make it viable, but a sub-one second action is alright for me. Problem is that it looks too easy to perform them, far too easy to get close to enemies even with the anemic running speed. Maybe they are playing on a low difficulty, who knows.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Human Revolution lead had everyone play DX1 before they started on the game.
And they still failed by going for formulaic, neatly segregated paths rather than letting everything flow more organically.
It was a really good game, but DX1 it was not, especially in terms of levels.

They would have to have not just played DX1 but played *with* DX1, learning how everything was put together and worked together for that to work.
Sure but at least they tried (and not *every* level is so segregated, the police station at the beginning is well done). This Doom video doesn't look anything like the old Dooms.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or you know, trying to steer fast moving characters with a gamepad is not the most welcoming experience.
52528-WipEout_2097_(E)-1.jpg

Dude, are you insane? No modern gamers can handle this mess game. Source- publishers.

And this game? It's old. Centuries old in the gaming history. And gaming history should be forgotten because it leaad to awkward situation and hating.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just watched the videos.

Liked:
Id Tech 6 doesn't look spectacular but it performs well and the environment looked fairly good (inb4 it turns out that textures look worse than Quake 3's on closer inspection).
There are some nice lightning effects and explosions and particle effects looked good enough to me. Too bad there is little to no environmental destruction.
The inclusion of a level editor is always a good thing.

Disliked:
PC could look up and down, where are mah sprites.
Slow player movement.
Most enemies, weapons and the environment don't feel like Doom at all, these people made a more action-packed sequel to Doom 3 instead of a reboot of the original game(s). They didn't capture any of the original games' atmosphere or intricacies. Also what happened to the colours, Doom 4 looks as bland and generic as they come.
Cheap Gore galore, I like my first-person shooters bloody but id dialed up the violence to 11 in the hope of pleasing the Brûtal "Doom" crowd. Most of the gore looks poor, the enemies don't gib properly they just fall apart in a unconvincing manner, remains disappear instantly.
Enemies glow when they're ready to be executed by the player :lol:
The weapon wheel and accompanying slow-down effect (probably non-issues on PC but still) and the canned animations (climbing, landing,...) and those moronic executions all break the flow of the gameplay which is the last thing you want in a proper FPS...
Very linear, mostly claustrophobic level design (similar to RAGE and TNO) interspersed with smallish arena fights, no room to circle-strafe and speed-strafe...but there's no real need to dance with demons anyway because they're all push-overs that only exist to give the player an easily achievable power fantasy, they pose no real threat whatsoever. (Maybe the final game will be more challenging but this is how they decided to present their game...)
Borderlands style item drops with annoying sound effect.
On-screen flashing Idiot Messages like “low health” right next to your health indicator...

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It looks okay I guess, I like the jumping and stuff but it needs a bit more work to be considered a decent followup. Mainly:

- GAME NEEDS TO BE FASTER. I can't emphasize this enough, Doomguy needs to move sanic fast. This is way too slow.
- More monsters. The game needs hordes of monsters.
- More projectile monsters. Doom slaughtermaps are hilarious because of the millions of fireballs and rockets flying everywhere.
- Huge, sprawling maps to get lost in.

I love Revenants with jetpacks, but I do wonder if they are just a gimmick or if they'll be used during gameplay to be even more of an agitated nuisance this time around.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a direct consequence of the fact that even if you were a lead of some sort and knew what made the game/mod in question great, you have no way to brief your team unless by some freak chance they are all avid fans of the game in question and actually also have the exact same :obviously: view on what made it great.
Otherwise only the aspects that are immediately presentable can make it through.

Well there goes that theory then.

DraQ

Arcane
Just watched the Hell video I posted earlier.

Liked:
Id Tech 6 doesn't look spectacular but it performs well and the environment looked fairly good (inb4 it turns out that textures look worse than Quake 3's on closer inspection).
Actually for me everything looked like made of warm plasticine.
I guess you could make a decent Neverhood spin off mod in it.

Too bad there is little to no environmental destruction.
It's true to the originals that way.
:martini:

The weapon wheel and accompanying slow-down effect
Awful and pointless in an FPS. I do understand that gameplay shouldn't be a matter of speedstruggling with the interface, but weapon switching in an FPS with just a handful of those? Does it really need a slow down wheel?
the canned animations (climbing, landing,...)
I've always liked landing anims since Morrowind.
:oops:

...but there's no real need to dance with demons anyway because they're all push-overs that only exist to give the player an easily achievable power fantasy, they pose no real threat whatsoever.
FPS - the "P" stands for "Pity". :M

Perkel

Arcane
Might have more to do with the fact that slow movement also artificially extends the game length by 200%.

Or you know, trying to steer fast moving characters with a gamepad is not the most welcoming experience.

52528-WipEout_2097_(E)-1.jpg

Wipeot is fast but whole control scheme is about precise movement of analog not fast. Fast 180 on controller is simply not possible and definetely not possible to chain together few 180s

I know because i have gold rank on elite in every event in Wipeout HD.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
New Unreal Tournament that's still in Pre-alpha feels like major incline compared to this one. That should be telling.

Actually would be great to see that "foundation" turned into a proper SP shooter.

Which enemy type is what? I can hardly tell one from another

Hell Knights / Barons of Hell are now faster versions of Doom 3 Imps and Imps are... just Doom 3 Imps. And this huge bull is propably a Cyberdemon. Revenenants are Doom3 Revenants with jetpacks. Zombie soldiers are now Stroggs.

Where is the general feeling of carnage? In Doom this'd pass off as EEEAAASSSYYY

It's 2015 gaming dude.

Will there be more open areas?

It's 2015 gaming dude.

Why is the level design consist of only tight corridors?

It's 2015 gaming dude.

Where's the metal? What is this pussy shit one calls music?

Call of Duty crowd cannot accept harsh ambiental noises for from original Quake or claustophobic industrial rock of Quake 2.

At least Doom 4 seems to have (kind of) proper rocket launcher.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's no rocket launcher if you only take 8 damage from a point blank rocket to the wall. That really made me groan.

It might be some presentation-oriented iddqd/damage reduction. IIRC there's another point in that vid where the dude also fires a rocket point blank and it does -50 or sth.

m_s0

Arcane
So, uh, this is what people at Quake Con were losing their shit about?

...why?
A slow shooter for slow console gamers.

Well done, Id Soft.
And it took them no more than 3 attempts. Bravo.

Riskbreaker

So, uh, this is what people at Quake Con were losing their shit about?

...why?
Their euphoria was (at least I hope it was) about as honest as those super-cringy shouts of excitement from E3 audience every time player picked up new weapon or did some particularly brutal fatality.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Only unfortunate thing is, they ditched their previous concept of "Hell on Earth". But not sure, if they integrated it somehow anyways...

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Gameplay looks like slo-mo CoD with gore. And gore is over the top. I mean I'm cool with it - as long as it doesn't stand in the way of mah fun. Who'd want to watch a takedown cutscene every 3 seconds?

Doom 3 was unbearably boring but I think it was an honest attempt. This is nothing but a blatant cash grab.

Drax

Arcane
The level editor made me remember the "Build" editor from that time. That was good so, yeah, enjoyed nostalgia.
Ofc, in this one you stick prefabs together instead of true monocled area editing.

I love how the guy doing the presentation yells "And fast gameplay" and then the video starts with 3 hours of not-doomguy crawling like an old lady.

I did like the demon summoning thing when you get to fly around being a dick to your friends but, since I don't have friends and never play MP, I'll say it's shit.

Edit: Yeah, the gore was stupidly childish. That was never an imporant part of gameplay.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Ha, you kids and your gameplay. So naive. Whoever first described certain video games as having theme park design is a genius. But they didn't extend it far enough. It's not just for MMOs and NuFallouts. The essence of popamole is theme park. You're not playing Risk or rugby, you're sitting on Jurassic Park: The Ride

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The chainsaw gore is beyond boring – always the same animation.

Also the enemies looked like the AI was disabled, many just idled around until they got shot.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Why does everything by beth look like plasticine now?
Fallout looks like bright plasticine, and doom looks like slightly less bright plasticine.

They kicked out John Carmack and instead have hired three Crytek senior graphics gurus. So like Crysis console trash, the plastic feels strong in this one too.

Also, what's up with that shitty piss-green filter?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I didn't see plastic in Crysis 1 skin/faces... which was actually very welcome. I don't know the other 2 parts though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom