Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The Baron of Hell looked alright. Not sure what the hell that second one was, though. Maybe an Arch-vile, or god forbid, a new monster indicating that someone on the dev team actually had an idea?

Anyway I like how the majority of the trailer couldn't hold at anywhere near 60 FPS. Next-gen now. Don't need a smooth framerate for a canned takedown animation or twenty.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
System Requirements for the Closed MP Beta

Minimum Spec (720p)

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Intel Core i5-2400 or better / AMD FX-8320 or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) or better / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) or better
Up to 22GB HDD space
Steam account
Broadband internet connection

*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, and mobile GPUs are not supported for the DOOM Beta. Please check back later for minimum or recommended system specs for the final game

Recommended Spec (1080p)

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Intel Core i7-3770 or better / AMD FX-8350 or better
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) or better / AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) or better
Up to 22GB HDD space
Steam account
Broadband internet connection

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The second enemy I commented on is called the Prowler, but I don't know any more than that. At least it confirms that they allowed one semi-original idea to be implemented, rather than making the game a complete rehash.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"The biggest challenge id Software experienced while developing the game was to create a game that can compete with other popular shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, as they considered that the popularity of the Doom series among younger audiences is relatively low when compared to the aforementioned franchises, since the last installment in the series was released back in 2004. Another challenge they encounter is to build a game that is unique enough to establish its own identity, while "being faithful" to other games in the series. According to Stratton, in order to solve these challenges, the team consulted the game directors at Bethesda Game Studios, who he considered "[had gone] through the same thing when they were working on Fallout 3."

HhahaAHAHahahah

Cadmus

Arcane
"The biggest challenge id Software experienced while developing the game was to create a game that can compete with other popular shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, as they considered that the popularity of the Doom series among younger audiences is relatively low when compared to the aforementioned franchises, since the last installment in the series was released back in 2004. Another challenge they encounter is to build a game that is unique enough to establish its own identity, while "being faithful" to other games in the series. According to Stratton, in order to solve these challenges, the team consulted the game directors at Bethesda Game Studios, who he considered "[had gone] through the same thing when they were working on Fallout 3."

HhahaAHAHahahah
huaheuheuhe this is the best quote ever. Is it a parody? I can't tell. I think it's probably a parody.

Astral Rag

Arcane

HhahaAHAHahahah
huaheuheuhe this is the best quote ever. Is it a parody? I can't tell. I think it's probably a parody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(2016_video_game)#As_Doom
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-devs-talk-challenges-of-rebooting-the-series/1100-6429176/

from the original article:

"Id hasn't made a game in the current pantheon of first-person shooters," Hines told us. "It's not a part of that conversation. You can go to any sixteen-year-old at Quakecon and ask them what their favorite shooter is and they're going to say Call of Duty and Battlefield and Halo, but not Doom, because why would they?"

:abyssgazer::abyssgazer::abyssgazer:

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
At least it's not Fallout 4 - Call of Dudy seems less offensive for some reason.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why are so many retards comparing this to Quake 3? What the fuck is going on? It looks like basically every other modern shooter in every video.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

2rcuz28.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
What the fuck did they do to it???

It's so bright and cartoony!

At least Doom3 took things in it's own direction while actually remaining true to the series and has stood up to the test of time well.

Cadmus

Arcane
Why are so many retards comparing this to Quake 3? What the fuck is going on? It looks like basically every other modern shooter in every video.
Before reading your post I watched the MP video and I got a Q3 vibe from it as well.
I also thought for a few seconds it was a parody made in the new Blizzard's Overwatch.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah the ending spook scares got tiresome, but it was a solid average game, not what the sequel to the previous ones should have been, but it at least tried.

Do you think this does?

Doom 3 was an awful game consisting 100% of monster closets and repetitive monotonous environments. It overused darkness because Carmack's ego needed to show off his lighting tricks. It completely failed at multiple enemies or even remotely expansive environments. It had none of the feel, dynamic, or combat strategy of Doom.

"Doom 4" is going to be a shitty game too, but at least it's not 90% black.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Before reading your post I watched the MP video and I got a Q3 vibe from it as well.
I also thought for a few seconds it was a parody made in the new Blizzard's Overwatch.
It does look like Overwatch in the latest trailer. Which is kind of a big deal since Overwatch is a terrible, slow console shooter.

This is the Quake 3 it resembles.

Not this one

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
The monotone robot announcer voice is what I find weird. You want an over the top excited announcer to get the player pumped up about what they are doing, like in Quake 3 or Killer Instinct.

The robo voice sounds so patronizing and bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom