Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The amount of map awareness an average Quake 3 pro has is INSANE (go look up 1v1 frag videos, it's not human), and map awareness is pretty much required to make the most out of your efforts. There is much more going on in a pro's head than moving around and shooting anything that moves. Factoring in which routes your opponents may take, which pickups they might grab or wait for, and denying them passage by pre-emptively shooting rockets/grenades down one corridor, which weapons they MIGHT have considering their position in the map and the weapon pickups in that area, all of which you have to decide within seconds. On top of that you need to plan your own route to gain as much health, armor and ammo as possible while keeping the enemy in mind.

This higher level of psychological warfare is what gets lost if you introduce mechanics such as Hack Modules which make the player think less on his own and rely more on one aspect of map awareness, rather than mastering all of them and feeling like you gained more skill in the process. This really goes to show how id has to keep in mind how their target audience of braindead mouthbreathers may not comprehend concepts of map awareness beyond layout, chokepoints, vehicle spawns and enemy spawns. These Hack Modules are literally just a third wheel. They don't necessarily encourage a player to learn the ins and outs of a map, and since they are treated as upgrades, players will be more likely to rely on their retardo help than actually learn said concepts themselves. On top of that, some Hack Modules (such as Scout and Retribution) aren't things a "good player inherently 'sees'". Giving away the position of an opponent narrows down the thinking process that goes on in one's head into RUSH TO ENEMY AND KILL HIM and causes the player to pay less attention to his surroundings since killing this one guy who just killed you matters more.
It's literally becoming Quake for babby at this point, Jesus Christ.

lightbane

Arcane
I wonder if this will include cringe-worthy "DRAMA!!" plot/cutscenes like the New Wolfenstein did.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The thing that amazes me the most about "old school" style new FPS is how hard they miss the mark when it comes to level design.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The people who made those older games are all gone by now. This is nu-id we are talking about.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I tried the Alpha. Runs pretty stable, looks like shit, COD style weapon loadouts with 2 wep + 1 item, double-jumping zanyness, soulless homage to Q2 soundtrack in the background and the only real map feels a bit like a limited homage to your average Q2 multiplayer map only much smaller. Overall, really fucking boring. You can tell the players are bored to shit as well, I played for maybe 20 mins but only a minute or two at a time because hosts were dropping like flies as their names disappeared from player-lists never to be seen again. There was another map called "The Box" iirc which was way more fun, where everyone just spawned inside a 50x50 box with all the shit in the middle -- if the loadout was uncapped and rocket jumping was possible that would be some next-level shit right there, but since you move like a slug and can't bounce around like previous id creations it still felt a bit constrained. Someone got a chainsaw execution on me so I got to watch a cutscene of bad gibbing. To sum it up, clear improvement over contemporary Bethesda games, but complete garbage compared to anything that's halfway decent.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Thing is, this has all the marks of your typical tacked on console FPS multiplayer. Very little thought or effort went into it, and I really doubt that they expect it to last.

But then I see how they keep pushing it in these press releases, proly due to DAT ID LEGACY GUISE and all the flak TNO got due to its lack of customary tacked on crap MP, and (especially) how these journos keep pretending that this is some sort of Q3 reborn... and I fucking want to hurt somebody.

More like
lee.jpg
with a
Screenshot20110330at16.55.19.png

Also, forgot to mention you get experience and level up at the end of the match, but it's disabled in the Alpha. And the thread title is misleading -- there's plenty of reloading, not to mention cooldowns on secondary attacks. Also, standard game mode is TDM not FFA -- no option of regular deathmatch in alpha at all.

:backawayslowly:

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

*reads Bethesda press announcement*

How many people at marketing had to agonize and suffer to make that text?
Aye. One wishes to tie Bethesda employee in one's basement, force him to play few rounds of that POS, and then have him repeat one of those press releases in one's face.

tormund

Arcane
The amount of map awareness an average Quake 3 pro has is INSANE
That existed with the original Quake already and is a staple of id's fast shooters, which really makes it weird that the modern id is going in such a different direction.
There is next to nothing left even from Doom 3 era id, let alone from team that made good id games...

abija

Prophet
You'd expect that they'd at least be required to play some old id games before joining the company.
Bethesda wanted to buy Carmack and his tech for some reason, got shafted, now they try to milk whatever they can. They give around 0 fucks about old school id, why would they require that?

http://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-dooms-coolest-new-gun-is-powered-by-sprinting/

The most interesting weapon so far is the Static Cannon, a slow-firing beam rifle that recharges its batteries off of static generated by sprinting. In order to use the Static Cannon effectively, I had to sprint and aim for headshots at the same time.

Worst part was that it wasn't a one-shot kill either. I swear I landed 4 shots in a guy's face and he just ran away laughing. The recoil from, apparently, firing static is also atrocious and has your character doing this after every shot:

0AU4I.gif

So imagine yourself running around to reload your under-powered sniper rifle, occasionally throwing your hands in the air as the opponent takes 15HP damage to the face that shows up over his head and then running back and forth trying to regenerate the next shot, while he's spraying you with glowing semen from his plasma rifle PEW PEW PEW at 5HP a piece. And it's still not as bad as the double-barreled shotgun which literally can't kill an opponent even at point blank range -- like tickling them with a feather for 20 HP. You actually need to use it to stagger them into HA HA THAT TICKLES in order to get a melee execution but no fucking way to finish them off with that shit. Killing someone with the shotgun proper would have to involve shooting them until they quit the game out of sheer boredom and go hang themselves irl.

Last edited:
I'm still just recalling first impressions from my initial 20 minute playthrough, which is as far as I'm willing to go, but I figured I'd spread the love over a number of posts so as not to trigger any Doom fans or game fans in general. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom