Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

nil

Cipher
"We weren't happy with the game that was being made," he said of the decision to kill the project. "We decided that it wasn't Doom enough and needed to be thrown out and started over. Some folks left and some faces changed at the studio. Out of that change — which was not easy for those guys to go through — some amazing things happened."

The main issue was that the game didn't feel like Doom ... at all.

"You can probably close your eyes and imagine a 'Call of Doom' or a 'BattleDoom' game, where it starts to feel way too much like: 'Wait, this doesn't feel like Doom, it feels like we're playing some other franchise with a Doom skin on it,'" he said.

A little bit of leaked footage is available online, although it's being taken down when discovered. If this is related to the game as described by Hines, which makes sense, he's right: It doesn't look like anything that should have the Doom name.
Wow.

Venser

Erudite

The scrapped version really looked terrible. It's leaked soundtrack had a few pretty good pieces tho. I don't think they will appear in the new game tho.

X46iMzZ.png

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
And, as he earlier promised to show us, he’s flick-switching – id’s in-house term for the instinctual and nearly instantaneous swapping of weapons that players can pull off once they learn their way around the weapon wheel. A quick tap, a quick flick… and the weapon wheel never even appears.

There used to be a way of doing this in the old days. It was called number keys, I believe.

You’ll need all those weapons and mods to take on the assorted foes you’ll face. “It’s a hallmark of DOOM to have enemies that are effectively like chess pieces,” Stratton says about the different demons

Wat. In Doom you could clear most enemies with just the shotgun.

(That’s where Glory Kills come in; they’re not just a brutally fun finishing move, but they also cause enemies to drop more ammo and health.)

GIF-chloe-concerned-confused-girl-kid-look-say-what-side-eye-side-eyeing-suspicious-think-thinking-GIF.gif

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
lol are we forgetting that controllers dont have 9 number keys? pc version will have the normal number key system.

anyways, im guessing this will be id's last game, the years of fucked up development this game went through caused zenimax to threaten id with "get this game out by this date or else the only thing you'll be developing is id tech" and unless zenimax wants to pull out quake im guessing after this id will solely develop id tech for zenimax games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ID haven't made anything worthwhile since Quake 3 so good riddance at this point, but it still sucks to see yet another classic company bite the dust.

nil

Cipher
To make sure the action never stops, the team made invincibility always enabled (hardcore fans on PC shouldn't worry though, the producer assured me a simple ini edit should be enough to disable it - he said fans will now what 5 letters to look for, beware however, as doing this will disable achievements).
Now, while this means the player can never die, it doesn't mean he can't take damage! The more damage you take, the more red the screen becomes, and the slower you move - you can get as slow as 50% of the default speed!.
This makes it so that the classic element of trying to avoid damage is still there, but you won't have to worry about about it too much, allowing you to focus on the killing instead!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TBF, I don't really remember having to "save rockets" so much in the original games. It's not like modern "realistic" shooters where the rocket launcher is a weapon you only use in helicopter boss fights or something.

Sodafish

Arcane
And, as he earlier promised to show us, he’s flick-switching – id’s in-house term for the instinctual and nearly instantaneous swapping of weapons that players can pull off once they learn their way around the weapon wheel. A quick tap, a quick flick… and the weapon wheel never even appears. “It makes you feel super slick when you’re doing it,” Martin smiles. “You’re just flick-switching between weapons and you’re like…” Martin pauses to make some rapid-fire pew-pew-pew sound effects. We get the point.

Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif.gif

That's some hardcore shit, men.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Never could've imagined id would be the ones to put the final nail in the coffin of the FPS genre. Not that it's surprising after Doom 3 and Rage.

"flick-switching"

They have their own word for using gamepads in FPS. How fucking far can you fall? I can only hope that every person that has said it is already dead.

Drax

Arcane
To make sure the action never stops, the team made invincibility always enabled (hardcore fans on PC shouldn't worry though, the producer assured me a simple ini edit should be enough to disable it - he said fans will now what 5 letters to look for, beware however, as doing this will disable achievements).
Now, while this means the player can never die, it doesn't mean he can't take damage! The more damage you take, the more red the screen becomes, and the slower you move - you can get as slow as 50% of the default speed!.
This makes it so that the classic element of trying to avoid damage is still there, but you won't have to worry about about it too much, allowing you to focus on the killing instead!
wat

Baron Dupek

Arcane
In the good ol' days achievements were awards for difficulty tasks and disabled if you ever try to cheat.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It will sell relatively well, mostly on name. And after it's release we'll slowly hear less and less of it. And then suddenly at a certain point we'll get an article on ID layoffs, and in the end ID will be gone, but few will care. That's my prediction.

pippin

It will sell relatively well, mostly on name. And after it's release we'll slowly hear less and less of it. And then suddenly at a certain point we'll get an article on ID layoffs, and in the end ID will be gone, but few will care. That's my prediction.

That's mostly what's happening with every video game company right now. Although if Rage didn't killed them this game won't, unless it's atrociously bad for AAA standards.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everything about it just feels lame. LAME!

The whole PR old-school shit, when the stuff isn't.

ultimanecat

Arcane
As promised, he's up-holding, id's hyper-technical in-house term for the instinctual, nearly instantaneous use of a joystick to move forward once players have spent significant time learning their way around the game. He also tells me that some of the hardcore PC testers have gone a step further, mastering "w-stepping" and thus exploiting movement options even the designers didn't consider.

"It makes you feel super-slick to press a thing to make your man do something... you're just up-holding and moving forward and things start going crazy."

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anything done in metal after 1990 (or by bands formed after 1990 for that matter) is p. bad though, so that art direction was goin to die anyway, just like metal.

Not sure if serious.

He is right about using all the weapons to your advantage. Super shotgun is a powerful upgrade compared to the old one, but when you have a big pack of barons of cacodaemons you don't play duckhunt but want to kill them as quickly as you can. Because there is too much projectiles shooting your ass and legs to survive in tighter spaces. Not to mention the BFG which is a ultimate cleaner of rooms. Machine gun is good for scan hitters in lower numbers and imps. And good luck soloing Revenants in 4 packs or bigger groups with shotgun.

DraQ

Arcane
flick-switching
*flick-switches finger*
Like this?
:M

He is right about using all the weapons to your advantage. Super shotgun is a powerful upgrade compared to the old one, but when you have a big pack of barons of cacodaemons you don't play duckhunt but want to kill them as quickly as you can. Because there is too much projectiles shooting your ass and legs to survive in tighter spaces. Not to mention the BFG which is a ultimate cleaner of rooms. Machine gun is good for scan hitters in lower numbers and imps. And good luck soloing Revenants in 4 packs or bigger groups with shotgun.
SG was your workhorse weapon most of the time, though.

Economical, good burst damage, decent range, hitscan and some multi-target capability.
Unless you had a large group of powerful enemies right in your face, or a whole massive swarm of weaker ones (most of the time you didn't, at least when playing somewhat carefully), SG was usually up to the task and could perform it more or less optimally.
Maybe it changed in custom wads but I know how I played basic DOOM1&2.

Sure, chainsawing or chaingunning tomatoes exploited their high pain chance better, SSG was just perfect for dispatching pinkies that were right in your face, RL/BFG were more effective against clusters of weaker foes and dealt more burst damage to single powerful targets, but all in all you couldn't go wrong with plain old SG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom