Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm disappoint that they're using the Doom 3 styled hell knights/barons of hell instead of the classic Minotaur-ish design.

tormund

Arcane
New Screenshots with more cleanliness and brown

Doom-new-screenshots-4.jpg
I still wonder about the state of mind of whoever decided that they should go on with this design...

Riskbreaker

7A8rLw4.jpg
Just look at that fucking Blender miscarriage.
Their art department is clearly helmed either by Prosper himself, or by some particularly devoted disciple of his.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Their art department is clearly helmed either by Prosper himself...
fuk u man, Prosper is a artists compared to these uninspired crunch fodders artschool offshots, that use details for the sake of details because technology allow that derp

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Throw in some motion blur, grain filter and cinematic 30 fps, then watch those QTE take downs and see DOOM as it was always meant to be seen.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Those monster designs look generic as fuck. Even though I played all the Doom, Duke 3D etc. shareware versions as a kid, I didn't play Doom 1&2 fully until year or two ago. Yet, I vividly remembered all the monsters after seeing them just once since, aside from the zombies, they all looked so different and distinctive. But looking at these nuDoom screen shots, everything looks so bland, boring and hard to differentiate from each other.

Of course, those Cacodemons and Lost Souls are easy to tell apart since they are basically just flying heads but I have a feeling that it's really hard to tell all the bipedal monsters apart from each other. At least compared to original Dooms.

Mustawd

It's not even the monsters to be honest. It's the whole aesthetic. Old DOOM and DOOM 2 made you feel like you were in Hell. Trust me...I come from a hardcore catholic family (catholic school and all), and I had nightmares about Hell after playing DOOM 1 and 2. This game just looks sanitized. It had no "umph" so to speak. Just a bunch of 3D models and some fire.

The devs need to watch The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the Prophecy movies to really get the feeling of the satanic. As it is now, it looks like baby's first FPS. So damn lacking in real feeling.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, Doom really did its thing with textures and sprites to add detail to the levels, while this thing just works with typical modern forms of "detail" - 6 million shitty effects that make everything shiny as fuck and that's it.

Bleh. Just bland as fuck compared to this:

doomsoldiers.jpg

Space station with funky tech stuff on the walls that look like they could be from an actual SciFi show, rather than just smooth, shiny, BSB sterile white walls.

flesh1.png

Yeah, this shit does with simple textures what Beth can't do with state of the art 3D.

And that's not even showing all the walls with satanic symbols on them and shit.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The devs need to watch The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the Prophecy movies to really get the feeling of the satanic. As it is now, it looks like baby's first FPS. So damn lacking in real feeling.

Listening to lot of metal albums is also a must. Without it, Doom wouldn't be the same game.

tormund

Arcane
There is a massive amount of shilling going on on every bigger Doom board...
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50395
"Even just looking at the pictures, I am amazed that people are being so negative about this game. I think it looks fantastic, and I remain at least somewhat optimistic about how it plays."
"i'm a bit bummed out i'll probably not be able to play the game as well as the screenshots show, because damn. look at those Cacodemons.":lol:
"There's always going to be those elitist hipsters who think they know Doom better than the actual Doom community."
And of course, all of them have a noticeable number of long inactive old members mysteriously appearing out of nowhere just to write how amazing and epic BethDoom looks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They also need to plagiarize metal music again.

That shit wouldn't fly today because gaming is too big of an industry at this point. Back then it was small/niche enough nobody gave a shit about who was ripping off what.

Still, it is worth pointing out that their plagiarizing was done in perfectly good taste, since it lead to its own unique results:

This is usually what happens when you are ripping something off because you actually like it and not because you are too lazy to do your own thing. It's like when Sergio Leone ripped off Kurosawa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom