Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

ortucis

Prophet
Wow, take a load of this guy!
Praising a shit game because he never played originals.
Filthy decline enabler.

Since I was a Quake fanboy, I never touched Doom back in the day. So my first DOOM experience was Doom 3 and I absolutely loved it. I have played older Doom games after that, but I didn't really care much for them.

:M

T. Reich

Arcane
Filthy decline enabler.

Since I was a Quake fanboy, I never touched Doom back in the day. So my first DOOM experience was Doom 3 and I absolutely loved it. I have played older Doom games after that, but I didn't really care much for them.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Let me rephrase your own statement, to show you where you stand (knee deep in shit, that is):
So my first Fallout experience was Fallout 3 and I absolutely loved it. I have played older Fallout games after that, but I didn't really care much for them.

Suck on this, decline enabler. I'm sure you'd like Bioshocks over System Shocks as well.

EDIT: Also, 68 brofists? Loser.

ortucis

Prophet
Filthy decline enabler.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Let me rephrase your own statement, to show you where you stand (knee deep in shit, that is):
So my first Fallout experience was Fallout 3 and I absolutely loved it. I have played older Fallout games after that, but I didn't really care much for them.

Suck on this, decline enabler. I'm sure you'd like Bioshocks over System Shocks as well.

EDIT: Also, 68 brofists? Loser.

+M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Considering the fact that most codex staff and most codexers (including many oldfags, especially from 2002) played FO4 with pleasure - statement like these shouldn't surprise you.

I got more pleasure with RAGE than Doom3, and yes I need to see what I shoot at, is that hard to understand in the sequel of FPP king?
D3 RoE was better because you get better shotgun that not fly up on the screen and kill more stuff in one click. Gravity gun feels awkward in the game where cardboards are impossible to move obstacles.

ortucis

Prophet
D3: ROE was better not just because of shotgun. Because of fanboys whining they increased the pace of combat (and the artifact was OP.. but still not bad). Gravity gun was nice, way more useful than Half Life 2 where whole world has less trees than the boxes made out of them. Then again, I remember modding and using physics gun in Doom 3 like others did, but the game doesn't have vertical design so using physics gun on barrels and boxes is useless in official games (engine limitation, fixed in Quake 4.. and Prey 2).

If you play RAGE expansion, they did the same thing. In-fact, the expansion for RAGE feels like an arena where you are locked into a room with enemies coming at you from every inch of it (like DMC games do it, for example) every few steps. It's pretty fun, especially thanks to the good AI that game has.

This is why I've said it before. Bethesda took help from iD designers in fixing their shit combat, the only good thing about F4. A lot of animations for AI in that game even mimic that of RAGE. Combat isn't as good as RAGE but it's definitely more meaty than Borderlands 1/2.

Perkel

Arcane
I got more pleasure with RAGE than Doom3, and yes I need to see what I shoot at, is that hard to understand in the sequel of FPP king?

You got more pleasure from RAGE because it simply was better FPS and seeing anything has nothing to do with it.

I played doom3 at premiere and it was just hollow boring shooter. After i finished it just for sake of it i fired up Soldier of Fortune 1 and had more fun in one hour than at any point in D3 simply because gunplay was amazing, shootgun had that omphh i needed and level design wasn't so mindlessly boring.

I think Prey and Doom 3 shows how different games can feel looking almost the same. In Prey aside from gravitational gimmick you had actually some level design that wasn't so boring.

I think biggest problem for both Doom 3 and Half Life 2 was Far Cry. Both HL2 and D3 were to set standards of graphics for next few years and ton of hype relied on it. Far Cry 1 just come out earlier and all that GFX hype deflated.

I think of those 3 shooters is is actually HL2 that got progressively worse with time. Doom was dumb shooter and it stayed mediacore, Far Cry 1 gunplay still feels good even with old graphics. HL2 gimmick on other hand are now chore to play.

On other hand i can switch on HL1 and is still fucking good from its level design, gunplay to even art design

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Doom 3 is unplayable for me without mods, and even then the game only becomes tolerable and nothing more. The worst part is that the game is still essentially Doom except you can't fucking move around and do any Doom stuff. This is basically worse than creating a slow moving shooter from the ground up, which at least it would be consistent with itself. There were moments in Doom 3 where i literally felt handicapped. That's just poor design all around, it was not a matter of style at all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's really no point. The shit with the lighting looks great but is completely wasted in this game, and there's basically nothing else besides those few visual gimmicks.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Doom 3 guns feel like airsoft weapons. Enemies are colorless and mostly make annoying, high pitched squeals that aren't fun to hear when you shoot them. Levels are cramped, although their layouts are kind of cool, and the only enemies that appear in greater numbers are the smallest, most annoying kinds, like screaming babies and spider things. The only reason to play it is the atmosphere, but that's no reason to play a Doom game.

Doom 3 expansion was actually decent, much better than the base game and they actually had more than 2-3 monsters per room. The downside to it is that they felt the need to plagerize HL2's grav gun, but that's alright.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Doom 3 guns feel like airsoft weapons. Enemies are colorless and mostly make annoying, high pitched squeals that aren't fun to hear when you shoot them. Levels are cramped, although their layouts are kind of cool, and the only enemies that appear in greater numbers are the smallest, most annoying kinds, like screaming babies and spider things. The only reason to play it is the atmosphere, but that's no reason to play a Doom game.

Doom had atmosphere aplomb, especially when tracks like this played:

There's just no comparison, original Doom was better at everything.

ortucis

Prophet
Doom 3 expansion was actually decent, much better than the base game and they actually had more than 2-3 monsters per room. The downside to it is that they felt the need to plagerize HL2's grav gun, but that's alright.

Gravity gun in Doom 3 was already present, they just didn't implement it in vanilla. It wasn't an idea exclusive to Valve (the only idea in HL2 that was unique).

Also, ROE gravity gun is far more useful than HL2's. Catching projectiles and throwing them back at enemies was pretty fun. Carrying a box and barrel like a retard to solve another forced "puzzle" in HL2, wasn't.

Superuser

Educated

Gravity gun in Doom 3 was already present, they just didn't implement it in vanilla. It wasn't an idea exclusive to Valve (the only idea in HL2 that was unique).

Also, ROE gravity gun is far more useful than HL2's. Catching projectiles and throwing them back at enemies was pretty fun. Carrying a box and barrel like a retard to solve another forced "puzzle" in HL2, wasn't.
I think you are missing the point when it comes to HL2. It's not a great game because it is innovative, but because it is greater than the sum of its parts, very well paced, and brings lots of different gameplay elements into a cohesive whole. Finally, it was technically very impressive at the time with excellent ragdoll physics (still rare) and cool lightning fx. It still holds up today without its technical edge.

Doom 3 on the other hand is the worst of unfun corridorfests from the mid-2000s (much like Quake IV). Its lightning is much more impressive but it does nothing with it.

As for you, ortucis, you try so fucking hard to be contrarian and edgy that you cannot appreciate anything without getting yourself depressed. Just jog on without spoiling everyone else's fun.

Doom 3 isn't exactly a great shooter, but I enjoy it anyway because I have this "almost guilty pleasure" thing for campy sci-fi "horror" themed stuff. Not a great deal of games to chose from in this area. And compared to a lot of newer shooters that I endured since those days Doom 3 holds up rather well. This is why occasionally replay it and Dead Space 1/2. I seriously doubt Doom 4 has a chance of being at least as enjoyable as 3 to me.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Doom had atmosphere aplomb, especially when tracks like this played:

There's just no comparison, original Doom was better at everything.

Good track, I'm also quite fond of the ambient music from Doom 64 (aka real doom 3)

hpstg

Savant
Apart from the hints that the game won't have open levels, everything else I've seen from the game, I liked. If the level design is more old school, it's gonna be perfect for some quick slaughter.

pippin

Apart from the hints that the game won't have open levels, everything else I've seen from the game, I liked. If the level design is more old school, it's gonna be perfect for some quick slaughter.
There's nothing quick in this Doom.

When you use the chainsaw to kill an enemy, it plays a cutscene... and it's slow as fuck. I think this should tell you everything you have to know.

abija

Prophet
Did they announce anything about an actual level editor and mod tools?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom