Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Astral Rag

Arcane
Funny thing is. he is obviously trolling, but I can easily imagine people on GameFAQs or NeoGAF writing some of that shit with 100% honesty.

BVT0fLc.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Not trolls, just shills. It's well known big companies pay people to hype stuff in big communities. There's marketing agencies entirely dedicated to that.

vaultboy101

Novice
These developers have really reached the core of fun gunplay in this game. The loadouts mean that everyone can start with a rocket launcher right away, rather than having to search for one like in one of those neckbeard retard games from the 90s. EVERYONE uses the rocket launcher, so there are explosions EVERYWHERE, just like in Call of Duty! If you want to impose a challenge on yourself, you can always choose another weapon with less power, but personally I'm going to wait for them to unfuck the mouse input before I go THAT far.

The only other strategic consideration I have when I play is the demon rune. If you know where it's going to be, you basically get to fly around with quad damage rocket launchers, because they kill everyone in one hit. It's so cool, just like dragons. There's also a railgun with wallhacks that spawns elsewhere as a counter when the Revenant's out, because the regular rocket launcher and railgun do jack shit to the demon. See, you gotta tackle a one-hit-kill machine with another one-hit-kill machine designed specifically to counter it every time. THAT's balance.

It's a relief that they've distilled the game down to these two main concerns. Given what I saw of it before the alpha began, I almost thought this might be a game where I would have to think to win, but it's fortunately all about brute force. I wonder if the full release will include leveling up, just like in my favorite Bethesda games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not trolls, just shills. It's well known big companies pay people to hype stuff in big communities. There's marketing agencies entirely dedicated to that.

How do you even get hired for that? Man, I could also shill a bit if it gets me extra money. EA's about to make you their bitch, buy their latest Sims[tm] bye!

vaultboy101

Novice
Some menus, because they're easy to screenshot and edit out all the identifiers. It TRULY is a PC game:

A start screen. It will presumably contain an option for the singleplayer and SnapMap upon release.
UQQLpPj.jpg

Currently you can view loadouts, change settings, and go into a very simple matchmaking system.
QmlKa49.jpg

Mouse/keyboard settings. There are no options for mouse smoothing or acceleration, but I expect one of those "features" might be responsible for jumpy mouse input, if they are in the game, since I use a high DPI setting.
Key bindings appear to be reset in this menu each time I start up the game, but bindings are actually saved and work fine, even though the menu is broken.
fa1cgmp.jpg

js1syHR.jpg

Video options. This is an early public iteration, so it is understandable that some functions are not optional yet, but it's very, very barebones. The game runs okay for me, but it is missing options for vertical sync, framerate limit, and field of view.
Only 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios are allowed.
Anti-aliasing methods are the blurry post-processing kind.
238Pwgw.jpg

N3JRfP0.jpg

oMmkMIa.jpg

91Ke0Ca.jpg

Audio is simple and does not distinguish between music volume and game volume.
ZrF9nSV.jpg

Here are the class selections, which show all currently available weapons and gadgets:
41rZI4W.jpg

KGCM6xU.jpg

CQjRP3B.jpg

This is the matchmaking. You open it, and it automatically searches for a game. There are no options and no indicators of how many people are playing, or how stable your connection will be with them.
i0KKnFD.jpg

The in-game roster tracks kills, deaths, and assists. There is no ping indicator, not even that console icon that looks like a the wi-fi signal indicator on my phone.
aHjsiB3.jpg

Here is the post-game screen. In every case, you have to wait 40 seconds between maps. Perhaps this will change if dedicated servers are allowed with regular old map orders and in-game votes, but I doubt it.
euMhPuQ.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
lol

btw I think I remember the Doom3 engine games (ID engine 3?) having almost zero gfx settings as well for some reason.

Caim

Arcane
Wait, what? Classes with loadouts? In DOOM? Fuck that shit. DOOM doesn't roll with class-based gameplay. Much like the current dev team it seems.

And 6vs6 only? I wonder if it hurts, being this much of a plebe.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
lol

btw I think I remember the Doom3 engine games (ID engine 3?) having almost zero gfx settings as well for some reason.

And those that were there didn't even work. The only way to actually set the textures of the game on ultra was to manually change the config file, otherwise you'd always get high.

vaultboy101

Novice
I took some measurements to determine the field of view. The game uses vertical field of view, and it appears to be around 62.

At a 16:9 resolution, I get possibly 93 degrees horizontally. I am able to turn my camera just over 90 degrees before I lose any point of reference. At a 16:10 resolution, I get possibly 87 degrees horizontally. I have to turn my camera just under 90 degrees to lose any point of reference. 62 is the vertical FOV that matches up with both of these numbers, so it seems like the most likely bet, or perhaps is something a little higher.

I tried looking for settings to change, but they all appear to be locked in archive files. The base folder contains the files gameresources.index, gameresources.resources, master.index, and tss.bin. None of these seem like they can be opened and altered by a program like 7zip, though they're pretty clearly archive files. There are no freely accessible configuration files. I am not sure if this is simply because they are in closed alpha and don't want people to mess around with the franchise DNA, or if they are truly developing a tamper-proof Doom game (at least until/unless people make their own mod tools).

So far, I think the two or three songs I've heard from this game (one was in a trailer) have all been contemporary electro trailer horns renditions of the theme from E1M1. Tr4e D44m 4 the m4dern 4ge!!!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
ID embraced gamepads since Rage so no surprise that next game is pure console shooter, similarity to Halo (people after their MP gameplays) doesn't help either.

For me game sux visually because overdesign. "Enriching" textures with every dirt, damage or scratch...
No artists work in game development, only intern cannon fodder, who do random shit.
That's why I loathe sci-fi, too much garbage for my eyes even Fallout feels clean.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom