Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Tehdagah

Arcane
Gameplay looks more cowadoody 'winners shoot first'-centric rather than outskilling your opponent in a match of hitting eachother with rockets while moving around like dogs on acid trying to use the level layout to their fullest advantage.
Nah, Doom multiplayer is nothing more than shooting other players first with a Super Shotgun. For hours.

This looks far more playable. Controlling a flying Revenant was the best part, I wonder if there are other monsters to control (maybe even a "humans vs monsters" mode?).

vaultboy101

Novice
Just over four hours until the alpha goes live! I've never been more excited for anything in my life! DOOM 4EVER

vaultboy101

Novice
Had a lot of fun in my first few rounds. This is DOOM through and through. It really feels like I'm Chris Chan holding a skateboard riding shotgun.

Features:

The UI knows exactly what I want. I want all information possible, presented as though I'm sitting 3 or more meters away from my television screen. Information is given in big, friendly chunks near the screen corners. When that's not enough, I can always be sure the screen will flash red warning me when my health is low. Friendlies are easily distinguishable by the blue arrows above their heads, even when they're out of my field of vision. Unfortunately, enemies don't have the same feature, but I think they're rendered at a slightly different color, which is helpful.

A nice thing about the NDA is that the game watermarks my screen with some kind of Steam identifier to prevent me from streaming it without my account information being traced. This watermark moves around the screen every three seconds or so, which really grabs my attention and makes it easy to memorize this number.

I don't think I ever had to worry about ammo in this, which is a relief. I think because you get to choose a loadout, they just made ammo universal, so any pickup is a good pickup!

There are jump pads! Just like in the original Doom!!! Even though they scale heights that the double jump can clear without any issue whatsoever, it's always good to see a throwback like jump pads make a return.

They finally got rid of that pesky bunnyhopping bug that has plagued id Software's games from day one. Now, you just aim where you're going to jump each time, and you jump that way. When double jumping, you actually slow down, which makes it easier to plan your next move without getting vertigo.

Our corporate overlords have made the intelligent decision to add cinematic takedowns. The only problem is that players seem to be unaware that they exist. They just use rockets when they could be watching their characters tear my head off, which would be super humiliating!!! And when I try to do it to them, they run away. I think the best way for id Software to improve this situation would be to add more UI elements, like button prompts or more glowing enemy cues, or maybe even to stun a player who takes enough damage to allow a takedown, so that other people can catch up to him.

The rocket launcher has a detonate button, which offers a great second chance for people who miss their shots but still want to do some damage when they use a gamepad. Or even for Eurotrash like me, who still play on PC and experience stuttering mouse input.

The sniper rifle has a charge mode that begins when you zoom it in, and I'm very thankful that it lowers the mouse sensitivity, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to aim this thing! I need to slow down, more like a taijiquan master than a gongfu master, when I use a one-shot rifle, especially since the framerate lowers when the field of view narrows to make things more cinematic.

I'm glad that this version is built almost exactly the same as the console versions, because having all the options that some PC gamers crave would make my head spin!!! I have to choose my anti-aliasing level (thankfully, I know what that is), but otherwise I only need to set my resolution and forget about any graphics options. Even the low FOV stays constant, and it really hammers in that idea that I should be sitting 3 meters away from my television with a gamepad to get the TRUE DOOM experience.

Stompa

Arcane
This sure must be a parody account, who the hell would even remember that Hammer Time shit in this day and age?

Angthoron

Arcane
A nice thing about the NDA is that the game watermarks my screen with some kind of Steam identifier to prevent me from streaming it without my account information being traced. This watermark moves around the screen every three seconds or so, which really grabs my attention and makes it easy to memorize this number.

There are jump pads! Just like in the original Doom!!! Even though they scale heights that the double jump can clear without any issue whatsoever, it's always good to see a throwback like jump pads make a return.

They finally got rid of that pesky bunnyhopping bug that has plagued id Software's games from day one. Now, you just aim where you're going to jump each time, and you jump that way. When double jumping, you actually slow down, which makes it easier to plan your next move without getting vertigo.

:lol:

tormund

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-22-watch-doom-multiplayer-gameplay-reminds-us-of-quake
"Id Software practically wrote the book on multiplayer shooters; I loved Quake 2 and Quake 3. That's why I had a big fat smile on my face watching the below closed alpha footage of the new Doom game, because it reminds me of id Software doing what it used to do best.

The gameplay is very Doom; you can literally rip people apart in special melee finishers, and it all looks very crisp and meaty and satisfying."

"It's just like playing Brootal Doom on my Sega Atari 64 back in 1980s..."
I love game journalists.

Venser

Erudite
Some pro Quake players, casters and Doom fans tried the multiplayer last QuakeCon and all of them said it's shit.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I loved Quake 2 and Quake 3. That's why I had a big fat smile on my face watching the below closed alpha footage of the new Doom game, because it reminds me of id Software doing what it used to do best.

I bet he also really loves Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and "Fallout" 3.

The gameplay is very Doom; you can literally rip people apart in special melee finishers

Brutal "Doom" = Doom

Modern gaming journalism ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Why, don't you remember all the QTEs we had when playing MAP01 deathmatch?

This new "id software" is virgins talking about sex.
:kingcomrade:

Caim

Arcane
Goddamn, Q3 frag videos are amazing. Now that's skill.
Quake 3 was very simple with what players could do. Sure, in stuff like Battlefield 3 you could get chased by a plane, lure it vertically by flying straight up, jump out, snipe the other guy and jump into his plane if you know what you're doing, but there's something that's just elegant about the more limited stuff you can do in Quake 3.

vaultboy101

Novice
I forgot to mention that there's no rocket jumping. I can't think of how to spin this as a feature ATM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom