Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doom 3 was mediocre at best. AAA design has only gotten worse in ten years.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But I had high hopes for the new one.

2d2al8l.jpg

m_s0

Arcane
It's as if they keep accidentally showing off that version they allegedly scrapped because it was a slow piece of CoD-influenced shit instead of the awesome new version they keep hyping.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Feels more like a kid's playground to me. Look at us on the virtual world shooting at each other OH BABY A HEADSHOT.

Riskbreaker

Looks like... well, like a tacked-on multiplayer for a console-centric shooter. Which is pretty much what it is.

Tho, folks from Bethesda claim how this is some glorious fast-paced "old school" multiplayer action, and YT folks apparently agree:
Can't tell whether it's Doom or Quake.
I'm getting some Unreal Tournament vibes from this shyt.
Finally some Quake/Unreal style Multiplayer.
This will become an eSports game. Mark my words
:lol:

Conclusion: my mind must be clouded, my eyes half-rotten, so that what I see on that video cannot be further away from what is really there!

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
So only 2 minutes of gameplay in a 3 minutes video. Better than expected. Also, is that a Shock Rifle from UT?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is in no way "old school", but it's better than I expected. Has more vertical gameplay than most console shooters and player speed is not PC level but at least I have not seen any "sprint but you can't shoot" stupidity. It's still dull and I doubt I'd play it much, but it isn't CoD-level of dullness.

T. Reich

Arcane
It doesn't look nearly as bad as I expected (except the retarded revenant morph part, it's as derpy as it gets). And it looks way better that single-player vids.
But it still doesn't cut it, not nearly as good as the old stuff ,sadly.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got into the alpha, and the first session starts tomorrow and lasts over the weekend. There is an NDA that gets you kicked out of the alpha/beta if you do videos, but it doesn't say anything specifically about writing about the game (it just mentions "content"). I am popular enough that they will be able to track me down if I post videos, so I won't post any unless I get entirely fed up when playing it. I will post about it, however, and answer questions you might give me about it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I got into the alpha, and the first session starts tomorrow and lasts over the weekend. There is an NDA that gets you kicked out of the alpha/beta if you do videos, but it doesn't say anything specifically about writing about the game (it just mentions "content"). I am popular enough that they will be able to track me down if I post videos, so I won't post any unless I get entirely fed up when playing it. I will post about it, however, and answer questions you might give me about it.

Is it as shitty as it looks?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can barely hear the announcer, he's completely underwhelming compared to the UT and Quake announcer.
Gameplay looks more cowadoody 'winners shoot first'-centric rather than outskilling your opponent in a match of hitting eachother with rockets while moving around like dogs on acid trying to use the level layout to their fullest advantage. The maps in the video don't look that memorable, and the layout from what I've seen is kind of boring. Everything about it seems like it's trying to mix the old-school feeling of arena shooters with the medkits, pickups, announcer, and arena-styled map layout, with the instant gratification of modern shooters using all the hitmarkers, message pop-ups, gory cinematic kills, and a lower skill ceiling, creating some unholy abomination that rather resembles Brutal Halo/Quake 4.
If I showed this to anyone playing Doom in the 90's and told them this was Doom 4, they'd probably think it was Unreal Tournament or Quake.

Also I wish they'd stop with the constant flashing black frames in their trailer, it almost gives me epilepsy.

vaultboy101

Novice
Hi! I'm vaultboy101, and I'm here to tell you all about the closed alpha. I will provide information regarding my experience when our corporate overlords allow me to start playing. Maybe I will even see sexbad? in-game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom