Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Caim

Arcane
Why is Doom in particular a good magnet for autists and idiots? That's like 90% of the fanbase.
At its core DOOM is very simple: go from point A to point B, find keys to go through doors and fight the demons. It's a very elegant game like that, allowing for easy speedrunning and modding's easy as well.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's interesting. I don't remember how it looked in the theater, but I think I did notice that something was different about the DVD version. Is there any way to see the original non tinted edit?
Possibly a VHS or DVD release before the 2nd movie came out. I'm not sure about this (they might have added the tint to these first, then onto the 2nd movie). I'm sure some googling would reveal it.

Or you could get a 35mm print of the original.

pippin

Found this

Matrix_screen_compare_1.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The multiplayer footage does look Quake-y on the slow side, but I'm still skeptical after seeing that singleplayer footage.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Does anyone actually think this console trash will be even remotely good? Showing it off with a fucking controller and calling it "fast, fast, fast" says everything about this pile of dung.

DraQ

Arcane
The only thing I hate about UT flak is sound.
Say what you will about Unreal 1 weapon sounds (wimpy, quiet, sucked) but the best sounding flak was pre-patch U1 flak.
:love:
Edit:
The IDEAL flak should be even more - it should bark as if you were blowing a grenade in a pipe (because that's what it essentially does) and should have a massive muzzle flash dealing additional directed explosive damage up close.
And, of course hydraulics and metallic clonks of action sliding new shell in place - as in pre-patch U1.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For people who actually care about these types of games it must be really frustrating for them to fuck shit up they could easily fix by just talking to one fan who knows what he's talking about. And listening.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
it must be really frustrating
The really frustrating part is degradation. I mean id evolved exactly like BioWare but in relation to FPS. 15 years ago both companies were about the most savvy developers in their respective genres. And now they're about the most clueless.

pippin

For peopel who actually care about these types of games it must be really frustrating for them to fuck shit up they could easily fix by just talking to one fan who knows what he's talking about. And listening.

Well, Dishonored was meant to be harder than what we had but after playtesting with some random dudes it was dumbed down.
Obviously the fan that knows what he's talking about is the point here, but those don't exist anymore. To have a successful Doom game again, we need the mental state and the design choices that made Doom 1 what it is. Not 2 or 3, 1. It seems so simple, but it's just not there anymore. Imagine if a dev made a shooter with keycard hunting, that shit would not fly today, even though that was one of the most important aspects of level design back then, the thing that made levels complex and maze-like. Without keycards or secrets, you only have story. And Doom never had a story.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It did have a story.

BITCH. DEMONS COMING UP THE HELL RIGHT NOW
SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD
SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD!

GRAB THE SHOTGUN

YOU DON'T NEED TO LOAD IT WE DID THAT SHIT FOR YOU

WHAT ARE YOU PRESSING ESCAPE FOR, YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE A PROFILE

BITCH, DEMON'S IN THE ROOM
HIS SKULL IS ON FIRE
HE KILLED YO FAMILY

BITCH THIS AIN'T A CUTSCENE
YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SMOKE A BOWL.

SATAN'S BEEN SUMMONED

IT'S UP TO US

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
It did have a story.

BITCH. DEMONS COMING UP THE HELL RIGHT NOW.
SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD
SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD!

GRAB THE SHOTGUN.

YOU DON'T NEED TO LOAD IT WE DID THAT SHIT FOR YOU.

WHAT ARE YOU PRESSING ESCAPE FOR, YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE A PROFILE

BITCH, DEMON'S IN THE ROOM
HIS SKULL IS ON FIRE
HE KILLED YO FAMILY

BITCH THIS AIN'T A CUTSCENE
YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SMOKE A BOWL.

SATAN'S BEEN SUMMONED

IT'S UP TO US

Fuck that shit, it wasn't the story of Doom. THIS is the story of Doom:
John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons "I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted The radio said "No, John. You are the demons"
And then John was a zombie.
Also, this:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For people who actually care about these types of games it must be really frustrating for them to fuck shit up they could easily fix by just talking to one fan who knows what he's talking about. And listening.

Listen & believe?

Just kidding. I agree :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom