Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Sodafish

Arcane

The Art And Science Of Making White Noise. The way this guy is trying to pass himself off as a musical genius, is nauseating.

His waffle is so rigidly scripted and souless too. To wit:

"Hell in D44M is just horrifying. It's ancient and threatening and violent... it's a nightmare (wink wink)"

*vomits*

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant

Doom's music and overall audio design and indeed phenomenal, game deserves more credit for that.

Yeah, D44M is Painkiller with only a handful of enemies at a time.
Why are people upvoting this comment? I understand that some of you harbor dislike for this game, but there is a difference between disliking something and spreaing blatant untruth. Someone can write how Doom is "Painkiller with less enemies on screen" only if that someone never played original Dooms, Quake, Unreal.

soulburner

Cipher
Doom's music and overall audio design and indeed phenomenal, game deserves more credit for that.

Sound in D44M is pathetic. Overcompressed, monster sounds indistinguishable from each other, weapons sound stupid. They also look stupid. And the music? The music is has moments of being interesting but all good ideas seem wasted. They should just hire Sascha Dickiyan.

Why are people upvoting this comment? I understand that some of you harbor dislike for this game, but there is a difference between disliking something and spreaing blatant untruth. Someone can write how Doom is "Painkiller with less enemies on screen" only if that someone never played original Dooms, Quake, Unreal.

Because D44M plays like Painkiller, not Doom. Anyone who played the original Doom, Quake and Unreal know very well there were no arenas with locking doors and a few dozen spawning enemies you must kill untill the doors open and let you advance.

A few traps like that during the whole game - yeah. Basing the whole game around that idea - Painkiller.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
8-string guitar. Dead giveaway. 8-strings are the console plague of the guitar world. You'd think 8 strings means more complex stuff to play, but instead all you get is people hammering the lowest string with a shitty tone thinking they're hot shit. They almost always look like hipster nerds, too.

Also, I can't believe he made a Polivoks sound like an Access Virus.

This is what a Polivoks should sound like:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Because it plays like Painkiller and not Doom? Have you actually Dooms, Quake, Unreal you goof?

Lunac

Arcane
Gotta ask since google spat out trillion non-relevant links, but the whole Mortal Kombat fatality takedown shit, can this be toggled off, disabled, shot in the back of the head and left for dead?

Sodafish

Arcane

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gotta ask since google spat out trillion non-relevant links, but the whole Mortal Kombat fatality takedown shit, can this be toggled off, disabled, shot in the back of the head and left for dead?

You can only toggle off the indicator so demons won't "twinkle"

Thanks. Gonna pass I guess.

Well you can just shoot them instead.
i could, but then I'd waste a shot and not get my free health on executing an enemy who is already as good as dead

Perkel

Arcane
Because it plays like Painkiller and not Doom? Have you actually Dooms, Quake, Unreal you goof?

Have you actually played Painkiller ? Sure rooms full of monster do remind Painkiller but it plays like Quake rather than Painkiller.

Sodafish

Arcane

i could, but then I'd waste a shot and not get my free health on executing an enemy who is already as good as dead

Well duh. My point was if someone has an allergic reaction to the pinata mechanic they're not forced to use it.

And your point is fucking stupid as telling people to turn off quest markers when a game is clearly designed around it. If you think that turning off quest markers is a good idea, I suggest gargling some shotgun mouth wash, I hear it really opens your mind.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

You still get free health. Electing not to perform any executions just means that you probably won't ever be able to use a melee attack, because the same button regularly does melee attacks, which is bullshit.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
all of this stuff you can just skip it all

X9IO02g.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
And your point is fucking stupid as telling people to turn off quest markers when a game is clearly designed around it. If you think that turning off quest markers is a good idea, I suggest gargling some shotgun mouth wash, I hear it really opens your mind.

If you actually need the health pinata drops you're shit :positive:

Doktor Best

Arcane

The game works perfectly fine with turned off questmarkers as the leveldesign is not specifically built around it.

I agree with you that certain games that have built in questmarkers do not really work well if you turn them off as it often results in tedious searchs for your goal in a convoluted open world, but Doom 4 is an exception here really.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant

Have you actually played Painkiller ? Sure rooms full of monster do remind Painkiller but it plays like Quake rather than Painkiller.
This. I can't imagine how someone who played both Quake and old Dooms as well as Painkiller can claim how this is a Painkiller clone or even a game that is in any way closer to Painkiller than to those games.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

If you actually need the health pinata drops you're shit :positive:
Replace "health pinata" with "souls" and we get Painkiller.
So that's why PK was mentioned in this thread?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

This. I can't imagine how someone who played both Quake and old Dooms as well as Painkiller can claim how this is a Painkiller clone or even a game that is in any way closer to Painkiller than to those games.

I know you're someone's alt and you're trolling, but I'll reply anyway. The constant funneling towards enclosed arenas is very reminiscent of Painkiller, which clashes a lot with the otherwise Doom and Quake-ish level design. You get into a room, destroy the gore nest/trigger something, doors lock, enemies appear, you kill them, doors open, you proceed to the next gore nest/next event trigger in the mostly labyrinthine level design and rinse and repeat. Doom or Quake or Unreal seldom had any encounters like that. Sure they happened from time to time, but they are few and far between. Doom 4's level progression is based entirely off that. The last level before the boss is just a succession of arenas with very little else in between, unlike other levels in the game which are pretty big and sprawling and allow for some exploration, and the arenas in this last level are all mostly the same as well. If you want a comparison, look at Doom's E3M7, Doom 2's MAP29 or Quake's E4M7. They're not arena levels in the slightest, like the rest of the game. Painkiller's entire shtick is arena after arena, and quite a few recent games pretending to be 'retro' have followed this trend, such as Hard Reset, Bulletstorm, Shadow Warrior, most of them made by the same devs as PK... I have no fucking idea where these people (and players) got the idea that Doom, Quake or Unreal were arena FPS when they're obviously not.

So yes, Doom 4 is closer in design and level progression to Painkiller than Doom or Quake, despite the big levels that beg for dungeon progression instead of arena progression. I've already explained this before so I won't repeat myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom